Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Royce is teething right now, I can actualy see the new little teeth piercing through his gums when i open his mouth,
But sometimes he can be so good, just chillin playing with his toys then out of nowhere he launches and starts biting!!! normaly you just have to say NO Biting Royce and he'll give some attitude but he stops... but lately he goes crazy and the more you tell him to stop the more he tries to bite... I'm getting very frustrated with him cause for one i don't believe in hitting him so what should I do?? his bite is really starting to hurt and I wouldn't want an accident to happen where he bites someone and really hurts them...

any advice or solutions???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
What I did with Chloe when she was teething and going thru that phase was  just ignored her when she did that. I turned my back completely  to her and folded my arms until she settled down. Chloe also loved ice cubes made from chicken broth. They were a lifesaver when she was teething.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Give him a puppy time out.  Two minutes should suffice.  Tell him "No" and then leave the room or put him in the crate.  You could also tell him "no" and redirect his attention by giving him something that he can chew on.  You must be consistant with whatever you decide to go with.  We have all been there and done that.  It won't take long!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Something else you can do (works GREAT when working with a clients chewey puppy) is clap your hands hard (brings there attention into focus) and in a louder deep pitched voice say NO BITING!!!!  If they keep it up after that, then give them a puppy timeout!!  When utilizing a timeout, make it a point to have HUGE amounts of fun while doing it.  Dance, sing, play, run around etc etc etc...  This will teach him that if her doesn't behave he misses out on all the GOOD fun!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
405 Posts
I also heard this tip once...I have used it a couple of times and it quickly caught their attention and raised their ears and stopped the behavior..how do puppies let other puppies know they got hurt and don't like the play? they yelp...so yelp! and do so loudly at even the lightest bite...let them know this is a boundary.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I didn't even start this thread, but thanks for the info.  Blue won't stop biting and it's getting to the point where he is breaking skin and it really does hurt.  

Also, is there a way to stop him from biting pants?  I try to ignore him and walk away, but when I walk away he jumps up and latches on to the bottom of my pants, in most cases he rips them.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The best method ive seen for bitting is when they start to bite, you get up walk away and ignore them.  Also give them something that is appropriate for them to chew like one of their own toys!

It doesnt take long for them to figure out that biting means play time is over or / no attention.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Great link Newcastle, thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
With Zeus and Dante i would turn bmy back and ignore them and that would usually stop them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The turning away and ignoring him doesn't work with Blue.  He just works harder to get your attention.   I was reading some articles yesterday and noticed that most of them had the same opinion, that if the dog left the litter before 8 weeks, they had a problem with biting because they never learned from the other puppies and the mom when it was to rough.  And I think that's what we are dealing with in Blue's case.  Plus, I don't want to give him a time out in his Crate, because I want him to know that the Crate is his bed, and it's a good place to be.  I don't want to put a negative stigma on it.  Is there anything else we can try?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If you haven't read the article above, then do. :)  If turning away and ignoring him doesn't work, get up and leave the room - go somewhere he can't follow.  If you're consistent, he'll quickly learn that inappropriate biting means you leave (but it is important - especially in a puppy that left its litter before 8 weeks - to teach bite inhibition, rather than no biting at all).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Never give a timeout in a crate.  Put the pup in timeout in another room or seperate the pup in a different area by use of a baby gate.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
780 Posts
When ours were doing that we also did the yip thing.  When they bit too hard we yipped loudly and they stopped.  They know that this is what they do when the other dogs played too rough with them and it hurt.  It really worked for both of our puppies.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I put Mia in another room for about 5 minutes.. Thats a lifetime to her! When she comes back, she is a wiggle butt and passes out in my lap..

·
Registered
214 Posts
I scream Ouch so loud that it makes Tyson run away. Then a couple seconds later he will come back and lay his head on my lap. he doesn't like loud noises at all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts