Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

biting biting biting..........

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Britneysdad 
#1 ·
Well tyson is about 10 weeks or lil older, and the biting is getting bad. He constanly wants to bite at my kids feet and legs and is starting to hurt them. They actually get scared when he does the barking and jumping , I know he is playing but what can we do to help stop the nipping?

G
#2 ·
you can yelp or teach your kids to yelp when he bites...say no....walk away and ignore him til he stops...Jetta did that from 6 weeks to 3 months...then she randomly stopped for the most part..it's a phase they go through and as they age it decreases...

#3 ·
when he bites, you have to correct him and let him know his behavior is unwelcome.  try a sqiurt bottle, and everytime he bites or tries to bite  saying "HEY!"  or " NO BITE!" and sqiurt him with the sqiurt bottle. it worked wonders for me :D

#5 ·
aquagirl900\";p=\"55726 said:
you can yelp or teach your kids to yelp when he bites...say no....walk away and ignore him til he stops...Jetta did that from 6 weeks to 3 months...then she randomly stopped for the most part..it's a phase they go through and as they age it decreases...
i find this method to work the best.  As long as everyone in the house and everyone that comes in contact with the dog does the same thing... it works very very well!

#6 ·
I started doing that and at first my puppy was startled but now he just ignores the yelp and bites anyway. I have tried various methods and he is getting better but none are working that great. :( I am being consitent though and he will eventually get it. I am yelping saying no bite and then turning around and ignoring him.

#7 ·
Stevevo8\";p=\"62975 said:
I started doing that and at first my puppy was startled but now he just ignores the yelp and bites anyway. I have tried various methods and he is getting better but none are working that great. :( I am being consitent though and he will eventually get it. I am yelping saying no bite and then turning around and ignoring him.
i found that yelping didnt do anything... the only thing that worked was ignoring her completely and/or walking away

#8 ·
Correcting needs to be done by everyone and it needs to be the same correction as well..The last thing you want or need is a confused puppy... :lol: You also don't want your kids to be afraid either....The yelping I found worked very well with Angel and she is 2, but sometimes gets a bit carried away in her play with me, so that's a reminder..Not all pups respond, so you may have to try a few different things...With Buck, he would nip my fingers as he walked next to me, which I wouldn't tolerate, so I would stop, kneel down, say "no bite" and touched my finger to his nose....After about 5 days, he quit..Yea, that was easy, huh? Also, when Tyson starts to jump, bark & bite and won't stop, a time out always works well..Not in a crate, but put him on his lead, have him sit next to you or tether him to a door knob for like 5 minutes and just ignore him...If he calms down, let him off and praise him for being good

#9 ·
Try filling a soda can about 1/4 full with pennies and tape the end closed.  when he starts to bite or show any unwanted behavior, shake it loudly--This will distract him and allow you to make a quick correction.  After a few weeks he will associate the sound of the can with doing something wrong.

Scott

#12 ·
Stevevo--I don't think that would be a problem, there aren't many sounds that sound like that and when he hears that sound he will get a correction.  I do think it would take work on your part.  In the end you need to use what you feel comfortable with and what works in your situation.  Good Luck

Scott

G
#13 ·
When my boxer was a pup and teething he would always bite too, me, others, wires, ect. (keep an eye on them at all times at this age, you dont want them chewing electrical wires!) I found if I stuck a soft toy in his mouth every time he tried to bite something I didnt want him to bite, and say NO when he got a bite in, he quickly learned what he could bite and not bite. After about a week of this routine he only would bite his toys and nothing else. Boxers are very smart, work with them!, they love to learn! Teach them the word NO early too, very valuable word!

#14 ·
ShawnSeven\";p=\"63434 said:
When my boxer was a pup and teething he would always bite too, me, others, wires, ect. (keep an eye on them at all times at this age, you dont want them chewing electrical wires!) I found if I stuck a soft toy in his mouth every time he tried to bite something I didnt want him to bite, and say NO when he got a bite in, he quickly learned what he could bite and not bite. After about a week of this routine he only would bite his toys and nothing else. Boxers are very smart, work with them!, they love to learn! Teach them the word NO early too, very valuable word!
Yes!^^^ Yelp, say "no bite", then stick something else in their mouth.  That worked for us. :D

#15 ·
Jake is 13 weeks and has started doing this as well when he gets really excited. I've tried the squirt bottle and he just thinks it's hillarious; he goes into the crouch position and jumps towards me to play more. I've found the most effective method is making the "OWE" sound loudly as if your in pain (as suggested above) but I also place my thumb under his tongue and squeeze between his lower jaw (not so hard that it hurts him). It seems to work. I don't won't him to grow up thinking he is in charge so I use this method - expression of pain and gently using the thumb and squeezing between the lower jaw to also demonstrate "I'm boss". I was shown this with my German Shepard many years ago and it worked wonders. Some may disagree, but the key is to not cause pain, but calm them down and get their attention. If you hurt them, it may have the opposite effect so be gentle.

Also, I've found when he's so hyper and almost out of control (running around, jumping, and biting out of excitement) I grab him from above, hold him firmly at the shoulders and repeatedly say "calm down". It seems to work. I'll let you know when he's 60-70 pounds if I can still control him and if this works. We are in obedience training which was pricey and runs for a few months, so I can also find out what they say about it.

#17 ·
THE BITING NEEDS TO STOP NOW!  It is a puppy behaviour that the if he was left with the mother would be getting curbed at this age.  There is a way that I train in my classes that is extremely effective if used correctly but it is only good for using it about 3 times so you have to get it right.  It would be good advice to practice this one with hubby's arm first and make sure you understand how to do it and get it right.  When the puppy bites you grab him around the muzzle with your hands.  You firmly maintain this hold (not hurting  by squeezing hard or anything)  by holding tightly his mouth shut.  You repeat in a loud firm voice "NO MOUTH,NO.....MOUTH, NO MOUTH!" continually holding his mouth shut until he finallys starts to wimper and squirm (and this can take 1 -2 minutes with the stubborn ones)  and let him wimper and squirm a few more seconds and then release his muzzle and repeat the praising words of "Good no mouth!  Good no mouthh" with him.  YOu will in return receive a nice apologetic lick on your hands or roll on to his back from him.  This technique is only good for about 3 times so one needs to get it right and be serious about using it. Hence why I said practice on hubby's arm as it should only be used by an adult and one who knows what they are doing.  Then, after this has been successful you will only need to say "NO MOUTH" when the little bugger is thinking about doing it to a child or someone else.  We use the word NO MOUTH in our training versus NO BITE as it is much better to say that in public as people can think you have a biting dog.

Anyother good suggestion is the use of a time out when he becomes to wild and rowdy.  I use the crate for this personally.  That is my chill out and rest spot.  You can also use a leash that you let him drag around the house so that you can catch him in the acts of inappropriate behavior.  I also step on the leash with enough length the dog can comfortably stand up to prevent jumping and to teach them how to calm themselves down.  I call this a "Settle".  I wouldn't be able to hold my 16 month old boxer down as described above and wouldn't advise it, this method is much simpler.  It is all about teaching these young dogs appropriate and acceptable behaviours by letting them learn by our consistant teaching and guiding.  

Nano

#18 ·
Well Im glad I just read that last post, cause I was coming on here to mention the biting/scratching has not really gotten any better. Tyson is now almost 15 weeks and the kids cant run around and play unless tyson is crated. They're scared of him when he starts chasing them and my lil girls legs are all scratched up! I can tell its playful behavior but its very aggrevating. I'll try the technique from above and see how it goes.

#19 ·
simoncgy\";p=\"65923 said:
Jake is 13 weeks and has started doing this as well when he gets really excited. I've tried the squirt bottle and he just thinks it's hillarious; he goes into the crouch position and jumps towards me to play more. I've found the most effective method is making the "OWE" sound loudly as if your in pain (as suggested above) but I also place my thumb under his tongue and squeeze between his lower jaw (not so hard that it hurts him). It seems to work. I don't won't him to grow up thinking he is in charge so I use this method - expression of pain and gently using the thumb and squeezing between the lower jaw to also demonstrate "I'm boss". I was shown this with my German Shepard many years ago and it worked wonders. Some may disagree, but the key is to not cause pain, but calm them down and get their attention. If you hurt them, it may have the opposite effect so be gentle.

Also, I've found when he's so hyper and almost out of control (running around, jumping, and biting out of excitement) I grab him from above, hold him firmly at the shoulders and repeatedly say "calm down". It seems to work. I'll let you know when he's 60-70 pounds if I can still control him and if this works. We are in obedience training which was pricey and runs for a few months, so I can also find out what they say about it.
This post is just what my vet told me do today the thumb and finger in mouth trick, and holding the shoulders thing.
Mine is almost 10 weeks and and I'm starting to try this technique with him today, I'll let you know in a week or two how it is going.

#22 ·
BOXERBOYS\";p=\"99797 said:
well kinda it helped but mostly used the Cesar touch, and the DADDY voice!
I would agree - ceasars touch and shhh works well for me. If Britney gets overly excited I have to grab her scruff and say no biting. She sometimes goes after my socks or shorts all of a sudden! (Yes while they are on me)  She is getting better every day but still has her moods!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.