Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had this problem with Charlie.  He has about 4-6 toys that he chews on and he's never wanted to chew on blankets or furniture.  Sadie, on the other hand, is a chewer.  She's almost 8 weeks old so I'm struggling on how to stop this.  Right now I'm telling her no and trying to hold her once she really goes to chewing.  What is the best thing to do to break this habit?  Charlie is also a quite dog but Sadie is very vocal!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I use my hand to close her mouth and give a stern "NO"  then give her an appropriate chew toy.

For biting I do the same only I follow up by getting up and walking away.  and when she barks at me I also tell her "no" and walk away and ignore her.  they are very social dogs and hate the "ignoring" thing :lol:

This has been very effective and her biting, chewing and barking have greatly diminished.  I do have to say that this can cause a dog to be hand shy if you squeeze the muzzle closed with any force or hurt them when you do it.  you only need to gently close the mouth not pinch or grip.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Give her something that is ok for her to chew on, one of her own toys...   Make sure she has plenty of things available to chew on.  If she is anything like Jessie you will need a variety... jessie is easily bored of her toys... she plays with them all...

Jessie is also vocal, but only when she needs to go out or if she wants to play...

If she is biting you, then you say ouch and get up and walk away from her.  She will eventually put together that when she bites play time is over...

At least that worked for me... some others use other methods

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main issue is chewing.  If she bites me, it's because I have a blanket over me or something and she's really going for the blanket.  I guess I'll keep holding her mouth closed and telling her no!

·
Registered
140 Posts
When Blue is chewing on stuff we usually say no and stop the action then give him an appropriate toy.  And usually that will side track him from the previous object he was chewing on.  Blue is also about 8 weeks, and that seems to be working with him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts