Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maggie won't quite biting us.  I do the yell and ouch and No that hurts.  But it just won't quit.  Finally lastnight I did a YELP like a puppy would and she backed off immediately.  A couple more YELPS and again she was off.  This morning she was on my leg pulling the pant leg and wouldn't let me go.  I do the YELP and again off she was.  WOOHOO something works LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not working as much anymore :(  This is getting frustrating, please tell me she will stop eventually lol.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
It will.. I can't wait too! We had a little problem with Odin but nothing that bad... Kyrie on the other had is biting at our feet and pant legs and hands... everything! It's a puppy stage... it will pass.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BurningRiver\";p=\"23273 said:
When you yelp, are you walking away from her? I know this sounds dumb, but it works better if you shun her for a bit after she does it.
We do walk away.  But man she likes to bite... like Mastray said, hands, feets, pants.  Anything she can get her hands on and she thinks it is playing.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have that same problem with Tyson.  He bites everything.  I do the "no bite", ouch, etc. and nothing works.  I am not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I have that same problem with Tyson.  He bites everything.  I do the "no bite", ouch, etc. and nothing works.  I am not sure what else to do
Redirect.  When he starts to bite grab a toy and put it in his mouth.   We say no bite, and then redirect the behavior with a toy he "can" chew on and not the toy "arm" he wants to chew on.

That or if they are biting your fingers or limbs constantly get some apple bitter spray, and spray your fingers and then have him bite them.   Chances are he is not going to like the flavor and will not go back after it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
They do grow out of it, but I remember it being frustrating. I don't think Debo grew out of it until he was almost 6 months! And he wouldn't bite us (my fiancee and I), he would while playing with our 8 year old son. He liked to try and wrestle around with him. It was a bit scary!

I still have questions of how to rid him of that, while he doesn't just randomly bite anymore, if Darien RUNS, Debo chases, jumps up, knocking him over and bites at him. I don't know why he does this? Playful? Prey chase?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree totally with Hanna on the redirect.  When they start biting, it's because they need to chew on something, give them something that is okay to bite at and praise them when they do.  Persistence and patience are important but so is consistency.  You have to do it every single time.  If you slack one little bit, they will keep pushing the limits to see what they can get away with.  I also agree it is a stage and that it will eventually quit, but until then you can't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts