Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello friends,, i have a 4month black and white(kind of brown tint in the light) male boxer named duke. he is not a brindle of any kind, he is growing so fast and i believe he is an excellent suitor for someone who has a dark female to possibly produce litters that are heavy in black and white non brindle coloring. my question,if somone chooses to respond, whats the best way to go about findings suitors for duke and if someone has knowledge, what are and what determines litter color markings. what i know is (non brindle) black and white boxers in my area are more expensive than other colors and i am looking for duke to be a stud. any comments or responses will help. thank u all !

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum. :)

Second, the color black is not genetically possible in a boxer as they don't carry the gene for it. A "black" boxer most likely has another breed mixed in somewhere along the lines.

Third, looking to stud a dog is against the rules of the forum (Duke is way too young, anyway). Here is a link to the rules:
Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums - Announcements in Forum : General Boxer Forum

Fourth, there is so much more involved in producing healthy boxers than just thinking your dog would be "an excellent suitor". Please read the following thread and all the links on it:
http://www.boxerforums.com/breeding-info/55343-thinking-breeding.html

There are so many Boxers with health issues :( , I do hope you will do a lot more research before even contemplating breeding your dog.

:)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
At only 4 months old it's impossible to say wether or not Duke would be a good choice as a stud dog. I thought the world of my Riley. He was such a loving boy, he was a very good looking boy, and I know that he would've made some great looking puppies, but had I bred him (which I never once even considered) I'd be passing on the genes for cardiomyopathy. That would've just caused more heartache for the puppy's future families and it would've been very irresponsible of me.

If you're serious about studding him out, PLEASE do some more homework regarding genetics, the breed standard, and the appropriate health tests that should be done BEFORE you breed him. These tests are NOT the same as your vet telling you he's healthy and can be bred. These tests are more in depth to give you a better picture of your dog's health. What do you know about Duke's lineage?

As already mentioned, the boxer breed is already plagued with so many health issues and there are already many reputable breeders out there who take breeding their dogs VERY seriously both to maintain this wonderful breed and to keep it as healthy and strong as it can be. These are the breeders who are very selective of which dogs they breed, they are involved in conformation, and they do health testing on both the sire and dam before breeding takes place. I'm not trying to be rude or harsh, but I honestly feel that we don't need more unhealthy boxers just adding to the problems that this breed is already facing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You can read the AKC regulation and it clearly states that there is NO such thing as a black boxer. If someone has a black boxer, as Gypsie stated then it is because it is a mix breed. Which is actually happening more and more because breeders see that they can breed a boxer with say a American bulldog as well as other breeds and produce what looks like a full blooded boxer to someone who doesnt know about the breed and so they buy a mutt but pay for a full blooded boxer.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
You can read the AKC regulation and it clearly states that there is NO such thing as a black boxer. If someone has a black boxer, as Gypsie stated then it is because it is a mix breed. Which is actually happening more and more because breeders see that they can breed a boxer with say a American bulldog as well as other breeds and produce what looks like a full blooded boxer to someone who doesnt know about the breed and so they buy a mutt but pay for a full blooded boxer.
The sad part is that the average human being assumes that AKC papers mean something and regardless of qualifications the AKC will infact provide that purebred stamp of approval. Educating yourself on breed standards also means that AKC registration DOES NOT mean squat..accept that an unqualified dog with said papers has a higher price tag than it would without said approved qualifications. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
ACTUALLY I was simply pointing out that a black "purebred" Boxer is not possible, and was simply referring to the AKC regulations as to state why that is not possible because they even state on their site as well (as plenty other creditable sites, if that one isn't good enough for you) that black boxers are not genetically possible. I never said that AKC papers did or didn't mean anything. That was off subject anyway.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Actually it's not off subject. Lots of People think they have a quality boxer to breed because they have papers saying its AKC certified, and the point Marki was stating is that the papers dont actually mean anything. Just because your Dog is AKC certified does not mean anything. So its actually right on point. You can purchase a Dog from a BYB who is AKC certified, does not mean its a healthy dog that should be Bred, or is show quality or is even healthy for that matter. Alot of people think that AKC means top quality dog

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a purebred black boxer " aka sealed reverse brindle" seen both grandma and her mother, along with the dad and litter mates.

·
Registered
230 Posts
yupp, my vet couldnt believe it at first when i called an said i have to bring my black boxer puppy in for her first shots. When we got there he said he was stunned since he has never seen one. Once he seen zoe he was in awww. I had questions about her so when i asked if he thought she was pure bred, he said No dout in his mind she was pure.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
"Sealed reverse brindle" is often a way for breeders of "black Boxers" to get around calling them black. The claim that the brindling is so heavy it "seals out" the fawn is hogwash -- from observing generation after generation after generation after generation of heavily reverse brindled Boxers, the fawn ground color is *always* clearly visible somewhere on the body. Not always a lot of it, not always in an obvious spot, but I've yet to see or hear of one where there was no fawn at all visible.

At this point the black coat color has been garnering high prices for so long that it's possible, and perhaps even likely, that the non-Boxer breed used to bring in the black coat is 3-4 or more generations back. In some cases a dual-sired litter may be the culprit; the breeders bred two Boxers but left the bitch unattended and didn't know (or care) that another male could also breed her and produce puppies. Black is a dominant color so it does not "hide" -- if a dog has the gene, it will have a black coat.

·
Registered
230 Posts
if you look at zoe's pic its hard to tell, but if u really look you can see it behind the ears and on top of her head. Not a lot though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
CRAZY!!!!!!!!! if you have a boxer that looks blk and white it is still a brindle... The fawn (brown tint) should tell you that. There are a lot of test that are to be ran and they are expensive to do (that needs to be done and both dam and sire). you can not breed a dog for $$$$. All that is doing is producing pups that can be born with bad traits( bad heredity problems) do your research before breeding...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Call it what ya want but i have what I call a black boxer because lit is black to me. When someone ask I don't always explain its a brindle where the black is dominant, or a sealed brindle as some may call it. But just get over their are block boxers, yes you can see brown/red in certain angles of sulight.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Call it what ya want but i have what I call a black boxer because lit is black to me. When someone ask I don't always explain its a brindle where the black is dominant, or a sealed brindle as some may call it. But just get over their are block boxers, yes you can see brown/red in certain angles of sulight.

I'm sorry, I realize this is your first post....did a google on black boxers bring you here? NOBODY who knows anything about boxers will ever "just get over there are black boxers" because there isn't, it is not genetically possible UNLESS a black gene of some other breed dog is introduced into a line. To each their own but don't come on here and tell people to "just get over it"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.