Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i was in a pet store the other day and they had boxer puppies for sale, i was looking at their nails and their paws. on the fronts paws, there would be 2 black nails and 2 white ones. i was just wondering if those were pure breed boxers, and if they are if its normal.thanks.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've always heard, and it was right with my other boxer, that if the coloring of their fur (fawn or brindle) extends to the nail, than the nail will be black. If the fur is white and extends to the nail, than the nail will be white. Same thing with the pads of the paw. If the pads are pink than the nail is white. If the pads are black than the nail will be black. I don't know how true it is, but so far all the boxers I've seen are like that. Buster had one black toe on his back paw, and sure enough the fawn coloring was on that toe!
Now everyone go examine your babies toes and paws and see if this is true! I'd love to know.  :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Gabi is AKC and has multi colored nails. It's kind of cute and helpful to have a reference where the quick of the nail is on her black ones. Here inside 2 are white and the outside ones are black.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
It is definetly normal! Just liek tootsie said! It ALL has to do with the pigmentation!

White toes=white nails
black toes=black nails

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boy I tell you, the things you learn on here... :) I'm staring at Samson's nails right now..Lol...his are mostly white as his feet are, but he's got one that's darker.....My Buck had the multi color nails...and his feet were white, so there's that oddity thrown in...Interesting subject & something I had never thought about....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Well I guess it was an old wives tale! I never saw a dark nail on a white paw or pink pad. See, you do learn something new everyday!  :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ok...I checked it out last night and both of them looked at me like I was nuts!   :lol:    Gunner has all white paws and all white nails.  Scout has 3 solid white paws and all of those are white nails.  The other paw has fawn coloring down to one nail and that one is black.  The pads of his feet are a mixture of pink and black but he only has one black nail.

I will check with the other boxer owners in our neighborhood to see if this holds true for them too.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It should basically hold true; there will be some exceptions where white toes have black nails, but I'd suspect that generally speaking, those white toes with black nails are closer to a colored area than white toes with white nails are.  It basically just depends on where the pigment is deposited.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry has all white toes except one.  On the one black toe is the one black nail.  So I guess it's all right.
Zhanna

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's definitely normal. Not just on Boxers but with all breeds. My boxer has a couple black toes. It gives them some character.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts