Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack Tami's thread so hopefully we can talk about it here..

Anyways.. When I've googled white boxers, they've all had black noses.. Now to me, they apparently turn black as they get older.. Here's pics of Mia that shows as she got older her nose is COMPLETELY black...  :D

heres Mia at a week or two old

here she is at 5 weeks

here she is at almost 7 weeks

here she's about 10 weeks

fast forward to now.. all black

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sadie's nose was completely pink when she was first born. Progressively her nose has filled in black as well. If you click on 'Sadie's pics" in my signature you can see it as it changes. I think its going to keep filling in as she gets older too.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Some do, some don't...but, ours did...he was almost completely pink when he was born...then gradually got more black spots until there is nothing but black on ihs nose now...although his muzzle still has quite a bit of pink!

we are wonderig how far it will spread...his daddy had the same pink nose and it is entirely black now...the whole muzzle..

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She will be 4 months old on Thursday..

Maybe the white babies are different?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Very Very Cute Puppies.  I learn new stuff here every day.  Like I said in the other post, I figured if it wasn't black when they were 4 weeks old, too bad.  Glad to be enlightened.  Thanks

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
All boxers are pretty much born with pink noses.  Then as they get older the pigment starts to fill in with the black.

Howeve some boxers (mostly whites) lack the pigment and therefore some of the nose and jowles surrounding can remain pink.

·
Registered
744 Posts
This is normal (and desirable, per our breed standard). Many times puppies will be born with pink noses with small black spots that will fill in as they grow and change. Butterfly noses, or noses with white patches or spots are undesirable in the adult boxer.

Both of my flashy bitches had white patches in their nares at 8 weeks, while my plain bitch's nose was completely black (of course, she had *very* little white on her muzzle at all, even at birth, so this was to be expected).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I know that the breed standard requires a black nose and that's why it is of concern to me.  But thank you so very much for explaining that they do fill in, as so many puppies I've looked at at very early ages are in fact mostly pink.   Macy is absolutely adorable and I just love her, as well as just about every other baby on this site lol.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sorry - I should have included in my last post that unless you're showing, or looking to purchase a show prospect, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just one of those particulars included in our standard that breeders should try to breed toward in effort to maintain and improve. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts