Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!  Hope you all had a great New Years :)

So Beckham has a really weird and smelly odor coming from his penis.  The discharge is a little creamy in color (LOL I know, appetizing), but not green or anything.  He seems to lick it quite a bit.  Otherwise, he's peeing a normal amount, but drinking a lot of water.

Could this be a bladder infection?  We are REALLY trying to avoid putting him on antibiotics AGAIN, so are there any home remedies or things we could try first?

Any suggestions are welcome. :)  Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I don't know if dogs can have cranberries.  I know a friend always takes cranberry juice when she gets an infection.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Cranberry extract is something we use to keep Sadie's UTI's at bay.  We do 2 tsp's 3x/week. It seems to really help. Also, if it is a UTI, the more water Beckham drinks the better. I'm not sure if it is a UTI or not, I know with Sadie she drinks a lot more and then she squats around and tries to pee but nothing comes out, or just a drop...that's how we know she has an infection. So in Beckham's case, I'm not really sure. How long has this been happening?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
about a week maybe?

We do have cranberry pills that I take from time to time (better than juice, as it's pure extract).  Could this be done?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Some folks find an acid reflux issue with cranberry juice. Like with people, some do some don't. But if your pup has some tummy upset it could be the cranberry. Other than that cranberry is not harmfull in moderation.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a smell usually associated with a UTI?  Because the smell from around his whole "area" is gagable, it's like a sweet rotting flesh odor (sorry for being so descriptive).   :puke:
We wipe him down weekly with puppy wipes (he's probably due for a real bath soon), nothing has changed in his diet or environment.  Like I said we just hesitate on bringing him in to the vet because all they seem to do is put him on antibiotics and we're trying to avoid that if at all possible.
We'll pick up some cranberry pills on Monday and hopefully that will help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It sounds like a UTI to me...there is usually a smell on the males that can not be missed.....You can try the cranberry for a few days and see if it helps either pills or liquid...but dont go longer then a few days because UTI's can be tricky if left unattended.....Unfortunantly Meds are the best and fastest route to go.....You also want to make sure that there is not a blockage of any kind like crystals in the workings of his penis or a stone in his bladder.....so, after a few days if he is not better dont wait on having him checked.....:)  Good luck and hope he feels better........

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the advice Sharon!  We've noticed the smell for quite a few days (under a week) so thought it best we don't wait.
He has an appt at 5:40 today and Tara gets the fun task of trying to collect a urine sample :)

We'll let you know how it all turns out  8O

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Let us know what the vet says, hope it is good news.  Give him a hug from Kiah and I.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
hope beckham feels better!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope B is feeling better soon! And...good luck to Tara for her task for the day!  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hoping B is allright..I'm with Lisa, poor Tara having to uh collect a sample... :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks guys!  Appt is in 20mins, so I'll let you know how it goes.  
I also contacted a Homeopathic vet to see if we can't get his immune system pumped up, so we're not at the vet's office once a month and can hopefully find the root cause of his frequent illness.  :) :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Update!! Re: Bladder infection? What gives?

Well Beckham weighs 46lbs at almost a year old; my tiny boy :D  :-/
His urine test showed tons of crystals and bacteria in his pee, Dr didn't say much about his awful stench.  Had his anal glands checked to make sure they weren't causing the smell (they were both empty) and his first heartworm test (just because he was due).  
Vet wanted us to get Beckham on Prescription C/D (yellow bag), I took one look at the ingredients and said "no thanks!"  First 3-4 ingredients were corn, corn by-products, chicken fat and chicken meal.
We were told to change his diet, but I don't know what to switch him to?  He's on Merrick Wilderness blend right now and has been doing so well on it.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what we should do there?  
So until we decide what to do about his diet, he's on 1 cranberry gel tab a day 1680mg (we're going to get him on a lower dose) and Cephalexin 500mg twice a day.  
I had an hour long convo with a homeopathic vet and she seems to have very similar ideas as me; as far as wanting the proper balance between Western Medicine and 'natural' remedies, etc...  She also thinks that Beckham has some allergy issues and thinks his immune system is quite suppressed and thinks he'd be a good canidate for her practices (don't they all?).  
So that's where we're at with things :bshelp:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts