Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10mo old boxer cannot seem to get potty training down. At this point I don’t know if it’s that she’s not catching on or if there’s an issue. She never poops in the house but will pee multiple times in the house, despite being let out constantly. She can’t seem to hold her bladder unless she’s asleep (even will wake up once during the night). Peeing every hour or so, sometimes every 40 minutes. We’ve had her tested for a UTI which the vet said “she had some white blood cells in her urine but not a full blown UTI yet”. She has a hooded Vulva so they gave us antibacterial wipes but no difference. They gave us meds for the UTI and, again, no a difference. We’ve brought her in multiple times and we can’t seem to figure out the root of the cause. She should be able to hold her bladder at 10 months but she pees constantly, whether it’s outside or inside. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Sometimes females will have problems after they have been spayed hooded Vulva is one (my female has that) and you can help this by keeping the area clean I use Wrinkle wipes that you can buy on amazon they seem to help. My friend had a female that developed a kind of incontinence for a while she put her on Cranadin also available on Amazon and it seemed to help her. I think it sounds like your dog does have a UTI or why else would she have white blood cells in her urine? Did they give her meds for it? This will certainly cause her not to be able to void all her urine at once. I would also restrict her from the areas she has had accidents in for awhile and get some pet safe cleaners to deodorize and clean those areas till she clears up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes females will have problems after they have been spayed hooded Vulva is one (my female has that) and you can help this by keeping the area clean I use Wrinkle wipes that you can buy on amazon they seem to help. My friend had a female that developed a kind of incontinence for a while she put her on Cranadin also available on Amazon and it seemed to help her. I think it sounds like your dog does have a UTI or why else would she have white blood cells in her urine? Did they give her meds for it? This will certainly cause her not to be able to void all her urine at once. I would also restrict her from the areas she has had accidents in for awhile and get some pet safe cleaners to deodorize and clean those areas till she clears up.
Thanks for the info! We tried some treats that are supposed to help with a UTI but we didn’t see a difference. The vet did give us meds and again it didn’t seem like it helped. She doesn’t seem to have any discomfort when peeing or in any pain, it’s just she’s peeing frequently. She’s been tested/treated for a UTI twice but they mentioned she was “on her way to a UTI” rather than she had one. They also did a culture exam to see if we were fighting the correct bacteria with the meds they gave us and they said it came back as negative and didn’t show anything unordinary. We have been using the wipes for her vulva so we’ll continue that and see if we notice a change! Going to try and go back to crate training and see if that helps at all, also. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the dog like being outside? If so, she could be peeing just because she knows if she pees, she gets to go outside. In essence, she equates peeing to you letting her out. Happened with my daughters dog.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks for the info! We tried some treats that are supposed to help with a UTI but we didn’t see a difference. The vet did give us meds and again it didn’t seem like it helped. She doesn’t seem to have any discomfort when peeing or in any pain, it’s just she’s peeing frequently. She’s been tested/treated for a UTI twice but they mentioned she was “on her way to a UTI” rather than she had one. They also did a culture exam to see if we were fighting the correct bacteria with the meds they gave us and they said it came back as negative and didn’t show anything unordinary. We have been using the wipes for her vulva so we’ll continue that and see if we notice a change! Going to try and go back to crate training and see if that helps at all, also. Thanks again!!
I forgot to mention with the hooded Vulva and she gets irritated back there her licking at it all the time can cause UTI

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the dog like being outside? If so, she could be peeing just because she knows if she pees, she gets to go outside. In essence, she equates peeing to you letting her out. Happened with my daughters dog.
It’s weird because she likes being outside to go to the dog park, but some times she runs away when we put her harness on as it she doesn’t want to go. Sometimes she’ll wait by the door for us to let her out, others she’ll just get off the couch and pee on the floor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts