Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day!! Kelly said when he dropped her off she was fine until she realized they were going in two different directions, then she stiffened all 4 legs trying to dig in and not go. Needless to say that was a tear jerker! When I picked her up I was sooo proud the kennel attendant said she was the best behaved dog there  :D Then they brought her out  8O I was prepared to see a wobbly, but happy to see me dog... WRONG My first official boxer cold shoulder!!! Walked right past me and half sat with her back to me :cry: She's spending the evening sleeping between crate and couch and has been outside to  tinkle, so all is well there and she was thrilled to see Kelly when he came  home to check on her. She's even snuggled up to me on the couch. The concerns are : She looks like she lost 10 lbs WTH??? I wasn't expecting that!! She's on the slim, muscular side anyway but WOW every rib shows and her stomach is drawn up! She hasn't been interested in food or drink either, I've tried every enticing thing I can think of, nothing. Other than a couple sips before I got the water bowl this am she's had nothing for 24 hrs. After care letter from vet says it can take up to another 24 hrs before thirst and appetite come back, can this be right???
Pics of Donner watching over Blitz and Blitzen sleeping it off.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Awww, look at Donner keeping watch over her...Lori I was wondering how it went today...As for the cold sholder, oh yea, Samson gives me those a lot..Glad she did well, not sure about her looking so thin tho...Maybe see how she is tmw or the next day and check with the vet....I wouldn't worry too much about not eating or drinking, it does about 24 hrs to recover, then she will be back to her bouncy self....Give that sweetheart a nice hug for me and for yourself too :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It is normal for them to look "sunk in" after surgery...it is from being placed on the back and deep breathing oxygen :)  It can take up to two days for them to eat/drink right again....but I bet she will be much better by tomorrow.....Glad it went well even if she is sulking about it all

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Glad her surgery went well...minus the cold shoulder! Wishing Blitzen a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You  Sharon!!! Listen...........you can probably hear my huge sigh of relief  :lol: Makes me feel much better, I sure wasn't expecting that starved dog look!  Forgot to mention, the incision itself looks great very small with no swelling!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Happy to hear that Blitzen did well with her surgery. I'm sure she will forgive and forget real quick, well okay...maybe just forgive you. They never seem to forget that place! I hope she is feeling better soon!  :)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
How sweet of Donner to keep watch over Blitz. Such a good big brother!

I'll bet she's feeling much better tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Get well soon Blitzen  :D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hey Lori..when I brought Ashley home last week, she was the same way...I attributed it two two things #1 lack of food/water, but even more..I just imagined WHAT they took out that would cause her tummy to cave in. We are one week ahead of you, and I can reassure you..at about 2 days post -op..you will need to get an extra large dinner bowl for her!! they sure make up the loss of food quickly..and she looks perfectly back to normal again..
That cold shoulder..Ash did it to me till we got in the car, and she realized I was taking her home...didn't last to long..but these silly dogs sure know how to guilt you out!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Happy to hear everything went well!  Lola didn't eat for about 24 hours after except for a frosty paw which I had to hold in my hand and let her lick.  After that 24 hour period she was back to her old bouncing off the wall self.....then the fun part of keeping them calm!  Feel better soon Blitzen!!  Lola sends hugs & kisses!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blitzen sends a huge Thank You to everyone for the well wishes :D I'm sooo happy to report that after a slow start to the day, she has eaten lunch, drank a little and shows signs of getting back to her happy self! Even managed a couple boxer wiggles when I got home from work so I guess the cold shoulder is over! Whew, I'm sure glad this is done with. Now, for keeping her quiet.......... 8O Donner seems to think that one day of rest is sufficient and his sister should be rompin and stompin with him!! We'll try some frozen marrow bones for some peace and quiet tonight :wink: Thanks again everyone, you all made me feel so much better about this!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hopefully she will be back to herself tomorrow and then you will have to try to keep her quiet  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh I hear you about keeping Blitz calm, that's what I am struggling with as well...And yes, Flick looked a bit thin also when I brought him home today...Flick sends healing vibes to Blitz for her recupe time :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts