Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsha hasn't been feeling well and yesterday we had to rush her to the Vet when I found a bunch of blood in her stool and found out she had been vomiting. She was also very dehydrated. The Vet told us she has Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis and we are luck we brought her in so quickly because left untreated it can be fatal. They Vet gave her 1-2 shots to calm her stomach down and stop the diarrhea. She has meds to take for 5 days and we have to make sure she drinks and can only eat boiled rice and chicken.

What is it?
Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE) in dogs is a sudden-onset episode of diarrhea, often very bloody in nature. Some dogs may vomit. The exact cause is unknown, but there are many theories. Stress may play a role in the development of HGE. This disease may affect any breed, gender, and age.

Has anyone experienced this before???? What did you do?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Poor Porsha. So glad you got to the vet so quickly, ad maybe this had something to do with her previous problem. I don't have any experience to share. I hope Porsche recovers quickly.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just googled what my Vet noted on our bill and it said "increased borborymi" I had no idea what that was so I googled it. The article said that borborymi = stomach gurgling could be a sign of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which is exact what Porsha has - seem to of been brewing for 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey! Porsha is feeling much better now. I was up every two hours giving her water with a syringe to keep her hydrated. The meds and lots of loving and shes almost back to normal. Her poop is still a little soft but the Vet said that was normal. Shes been eating boiled chicken and rice. Tomorrow will be the first day she can eat reg food again. Thank you Lindar51 & Mom2Titan for asking. XOXO

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the Vet called us back and said she tested for the parasite called Giardia. She is on Panacur for 5 days at 12ml. I am not sure what game first the GHE or this? I am scared my other dog will pick it up or they will become reinfected.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Sorry your dealing with Giardia, fortunately I never has so I am of no help. I am very glad to hear that Porsche is now feeling better. Maybe they should just test your other dog and have him on meds too so it will be all done at once. (?)

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Glad Porsche is starting to feel better :)

Giardia is very contagious - you need to pick up poops immediately. If possible have her go in a part of the yard your other dog doesn't have access to. Even if that means taking her out on leash.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, my mixed Terrier 2 years ago almost died from this, she was playing in the back yard, I turned around and she was laying on the ground lifeless. We too rushed her into the vets, limp in my arms. They told us if we would have waited 10 more mins she would have been dead. In the vets she started hemragging from the rear. She was in the vets for 4 days. We too don't know what brought it on, but could have been bad water out in my garden or a bad something she ate. But other things they told me was the amount of fat percent in their food, or treats can play a role. she's now on less then 10 percent fat, treat I stick with one or cooked chicken. I don't feed her any of those pig ears, bully sticks, or any like this. These are 50 percent fat. They also told me it could happen again. We were very lucky it didn't effect any other organs. So far she's healthy, oh and a probiotic is good. The vet bill was crazy costly, but she's worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts