Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I had a quick question.

Right now we are feeding our little Boxer girl the Puppy food from Pedigree which we regret cause its not really good food.
Now we want to change her diet to one of the Blue Buffalo Puppy formulas they have.
But the question is which one? Should we buy the Puppy food for Large breeds? I know that Boxers are a medium size breed but it has 28% protein :dontgetit:
Or should we just get the Blue bag of the Life protection formula?

Can anyone help us making this decision?

Thank you very much!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sorry, I forgot to tell you guys that our Puppy is turning 7 months on April 2nd.

*Edit: Oooops!! Sorry, I didn't see the option to edit my posts on my phone.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I'd get her off puppy food. There are many good foods out there depends on your budget. You can go to dogfoodadvisor.com and review some. I like protein at 23-24% This is what we have been feeding our guy, sine he turned 5 months old. The only supplement we add is a probiotic with each meal. He eats 2x a day.
Victor- | High Energy
WE purchase it at our local feedstore for about $40. for a 40 lbs bag and it is rated on dogfoodadvisor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys so much for your answers!

Is there a reason why we should get her off puppy food already?

Thnaks for sharing the website. I'll definitely check it out to hopefully find the perfect food for her.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
If you get a Large Breed puppy food, it is formulated to allow puppies to grow at a slower rate. This should be fine.

I'm not crazy about Blue Buffalo since that whole scandal with them using by-products in their food and selling it at premium cost. They blamed it on their sources mislabeling ingredients, but who knows really? It all seemed pretty shady to me.

If you are in the US, some good choices are Fromm or Acana. Those are the only brands that I trust feeding to my dogs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you get a Large Breed puppy food, it is formulated to allow puppies to grow at a slower rate. This should be fine.

I'm not crazy about Blue Buffalo since that whole scandal with them using by-products in their food and selling it at premium cost. They blamed it on their sources mislabeling ingredients, but who knows really? It all seemed pretty shady to me.

If you are in the US, some good choices are Fromm or Acana. Those are the only brands that I trust feeding to my dogs.
Thank you!

I'm not so convinced about Blue Buffalo either anymore. I've been searching and I actually like the Victor Products. It's not soo expensive for a 40lb bag and the reviews are great. I have an eye on the Professional Formula but im still not 100% sure which one to pick and I'm still searching.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
WE like the Victor and I have 4 dogs in our household so they all eat it now. Although I think Acana is one of the best its not in my daughters budget and she was the one who first went to Victor upon the advise of our trainer. He raises catahoulas and uses this. Our vet approved it too. We stay away from chicken though only because we've read on here so many boxers seem to have had an issue with chicken allergy, so we just never tried.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WE like the Victor and I have 4 dogs in our household so they all eat it now. Although I think Acana is one of the best its not in my daughters budget and she was the one who first went to Victor upon the advise of our trainer. He raises catahoulas and uses this. Our vet approved it too. We stay away from chicken though only because we've read on here so many boxers seem to have had an issue with chicken allergy, so we just never tried.
Hey!

I like the Victor products since I've done more research.
I actually like Merrick as well but the Adult formulas are high in Protein (30+) and I think that's too high for our 6 month old girl.

I got a question about the Victor products tho. I like the grain free formulas but unfortunately they dont fit in my budget.
I'm pretty interested in the Professional Formula (purple bag) and the High Energy formula (red bag).
But which one is better? I've read the reviews on dog food advisor but I still cant figure it out.
Can anyone tell me the difference in these 2? And which one would be better for our almost 7month old girl?

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I can only say that my trainer recommended the red, is 24% protein. I think that is good. As I said before my guy has been on it since he was 5 months old. You do not want your dog to grow too quickly by giving them puppy formula for very long. I think I said I do add a probiotic to his meal, he is fed 2x a day which would also be fine for your 7 month old. The professional bag has 26% protein. They are both high energy and both free of wheat, corn and soy. The professional I see is also recommended for lactating dogs. You could also email Victor but bear in mind you don't want your dog to grow too quickly and you can discuss that with your vet.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Boxers ... are not "Large Breed" dogs they are "Medium Breed" dogs
as are "GSD's" ... just saying. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
Sassola isn't disputing what size group the breed is in, she is just stating that typically "large breed" dog formulas are lower protein to help dogs grow at a slower rate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can only say that my trainer recommended the red, is 24% protein. I think that is good. As I said before my guy has been on it since he was 5 months old. You do not want your dog to grow too quickly by giving them puppy formula for very long. I think I said I do add a probiotic to his meal, he is fed 2x a day which would also be fine for your 7 month old. The professional bag has 26% protein. They are both high energy and both free of wheat, corn and soy. The professional I see is also recommended for lactating dogs. You could also email Victor but bear in mind you don't want your dog to grow too quickly and you can discuss that with your vet.
Thanks Lindar! We still don't know which one to pick^^
Does the red one give the dog more energy than the professional one or any other dog food? Or is it just made for their lifestyle? That's something I can't really figure out :oops:
It really is between these 2. Even tho any of them would be great cause they both are better than the Puppy formula from Pedigree. But me and my wife wanna do the right thing now. Is it actually necessary to feed a probiotic?

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Sassola isn't disputing what size group the breed is in, she is just stating that typically "large breed" dog formulas are lower protein to help dogs grow at a slower rate.
Ok ... I get that ... I just see that all the time with medium sized dogs?? My GSD is oversized and I have seen spec WL GSD's and "Rocky" ... is freaking huge next to them?? But I don't consider him a Large Breed Dog??

But ... in a rare for me question?? I thought ... the "Large Breed Formulas" had more "Calcium??" Which is not what growing puppies need??? But now I hear more "protein??? So my question is ... what's the deal with the "large Breed" stuff???

·
Registered
5,286 Posts

sasasola ...just gonna say sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent.:

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
LenaTorres, I'd probably go to the red, mostly because its what was recommended to me and also that is a little less protein. 24 as opposed to 26. We use the probiotic because our guy still had gas, with the probity he has little gas and his poo is always firm.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
sasasola ...just gonna say sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent.:

Lol! No it would take a whole lot more than that to offend me! Just been busy and haven't had time to check in!

But ya, just like Kari said, the large breed puppy food is formulated to allow puppies to grow at a slower rate, that's all! I know Boxers aren't consider a large breed, although the numbness in my legs when Duke lays on me may beg to differ! lol :lol2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LenaTorres, I'd probably go to the red, mostly because its what was recommended to me and also that is a little less protein. 24 as opposed to 26. We use the probiotic because our guy still had gas, with the probity he has little gas and his poo is always firm.
Alrighty! Thank you very much! We'll try it out and see how she reacts to it. :clap2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts