Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not sure if this should be in the food or the health section.  We got Bo a week ago..we weighed him at 46.4 lbs...he was on purina dog chow and had runny poop...

We cold turkey switched him (wasn't about to buy crap and support a crappy company) and added pumpkin to his food...day 2 his stool firmed up...and he eats like a pig (we feed Canidae ALS)  Question is...he has plenty of energy but we weighed him yesterday and he has lost a pound- 45.4 lbs...  what is going on?  We feed him better food and he gets A TON more exercise here..is it because he is burning more energy than when the other people had him?>

Also..last week Jetta was 21.2 lbs..this week she is only 22 lbs...we haven't changed her feeding or anything...but she didn't even gain a pound...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, and right now

Bo- eats 2 cups (it says to feed 1-2 cups) for a dog over 6 months who is 25-50 lbs- Bo was 46.4...

Jetta eats 2-2.5 cups a day (it says to feed 1.5-2 cups for puppies under 6 months 10-25 lbs- Jetta was 21.2...)

Bo lost weight on this and Jetta barely gained weight...she is actually eating her whole meals now..instead of just 1/2 of it or whatnot...They both look like they could put on 1-2 lbs...ribs are showing and if you look close you can see the hints of the hip bones and maybe a little bit of the spine..

·
Registered
496 Posts
It sounds like maybe he is getting more exercise at ur place then his last. Maybe that is to contribute to him not really gaining more weight. I would not worry to much about 1 lbs. but just see how it goes in the next few weeks. If he has very high energy you may increase his food by a cup or 1/2, I hope it helps just some idea.
Samantha

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i just worry...I took this dog telling the previous owner I would make a good home for him...and now he lost weight...lol...i just am paranoid...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think you need to up there kibble. Feed Bo 3 cups a day. He is still young and very active by the sounds. And Jetta might require more as well. If she will eat it and looks as if she needs a bit more, Do it. You can alway's cut em back again. I would think if their active you could feed a bit more. I found Canidea's guidlines on the low side for my pups when we used to feed it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
problem is, Jetta won't eat more...I put a cup and a half of food in her bowl...she only ate at her mid evening meal...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely up Bo's food. Especially as it sounds like he is getting more exercise now..He's also a pup still and is burning a lot of calories. If Jetta won't eat more, don't force it. She will likely go thru spurts of eating especially at her age and with the extra exercise she is getting she will possibly start wanting more food. Take your cue from her....

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think they are playing a lot and burning more energy than before.  It will regulate itself out.... Feed them the amount they will eat, within reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts