Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so...Bo obviously has not been trained by his previous owner AT ALL...Well...night before last Bo leaped up at me and the top of his head hit my nose and gave me a rather bad bloody nose...ouch...anyways...he also has been sailing through the air when we have company and it's getting to the point where people don't want to come over...

I need help in working on the no jumping/lunging/levitating/flying because I now know that he can actually hurt someone...what are good ways to go about this? I've tried stepping towards him to throw him off balance...I've tried saying no...I've tried making him sit...but he always does it...As soon as a beginning obedience class opens up in town (could be Jan/Feb...) I will be taking both dogs to obedience...but til then, it's me and hubby...so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When someone is at the door put Bo's leash on him and step on it while you are still holding the end in your hand,  Give him just enough lead so as not to choke him.  This way when he tries to jump he can't.  He will get the idea very quickly.

Scott

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Best advice i can offer is that when people are coming over do one of two things. Either crate him OR leash him and pay no attention to him (make sure your guests do the same) until he calms down. neither of my girls are jumpers, so i dont really have this problem.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
One more to add to tyson - I have two leads that I have knots in the middle.  This way when you are stepping on the lead, the knot makes it so the lead cannot slip under your shoes.  If its a flat lead and they are pulling,  I have seen many of times the lead goes too, however if you put a knot in it, you step on it with the knot behind your shoes, you have more grip.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I do the same with my leashes.  The knots are there for walking them but works just as well when under feet.

Scott

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yeah I use the knots alot when walking on short lead too - better to have something to grip instead of wrapping it around your hand 10 times:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I hold their collars when people come over...but they still are quite...in their face, lol...also...the issue I am mainly worried about is that they don't calm down...even with us...it was mid evening when Bo hit my nose...and we had been playing and it was right after he ate...and he randomly will jump up...and this is when it happened...another time he jumped up randomly at my husband and when he came down, he knocked the tree over...any suggestions on how to stop it when it's not with guests, but with us?

·
Registered
220 Posts
You just need to set limits for them, when their behavior starts to escalate make them stop, give them a time out in another room for a while.  When they respond to your command to stop on their own praise them and give them a treat.  Most dogs are food oriented and will do almost anything for a treat.

Scott

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hailee is pretty bad at jumping up too and its very frustrating!! so thank you guys soo much i tryed it tonight when we had a visitor and it was awsome!! she stayed down! not that she had a choice lol... hope she gets the hint ill let u know.. thx for the info!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi haileesmom,

It sounds like he has been able to do this jumping for sometime since he was owned previously. As we all know this is inherent for most dogs especially boxers. So, it may take awhile to break the habit. One suggestion since he is doing this at random times is to keep a lead on him in the house at all times so you can try to time the moments he will do the jumping.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Zhanna,  Your welcome!  One of the things I've noticed is that people think doing it once or twice and their dog will be fixed.  The training is an on-going process that takes repitition and time.  Teaching a dog to sit is much easier than teaching them not to jump.  It is natural for a dog to sit and is very easy to train.  Boxer's instinct is to jump up and greet people-training them not to jump is going against their instinct and is much harder to do.  Patience and consistency is the key.

Scott

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
[quote="tysonsdad\";p=\"61367":v2djs0c5]Zhanna,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,
On the jumping issue. We solved that with one trip to the trainer.
What the trainer told us was that when a dog jumps to put her front feet on you, what they expect is for the person (you) to back up. It is a dominance play. You need to take that away.

What we were taught is that as soon as you see those feet leaving the ground, you step forward. You move into their space. It put her off balance and not in control. It achieves the exact thing that she is trying to do to you, establish control...

So... Just try this. Walk up to her when you know for a fact that she is going to jump. Stop and when she leaves the floor, take a step towards her. Do it every time, with each member of the family.

Now... I'm not saying that you are going to have the success that my family has, but we solved this in ONE day. I'm not kidding about the 1 day thing. We went to a trainer who showed me this. Then I did it. During the rest of the training session, we could not get her to jump on us. Then I went home and showed each member of my family. By the time the 3rd person did it, no more jumping. That was about 6 weeks ago and I've seen maybe 1 (I'm not kidding) half jump since then. It 100% eliminated the problem, in one day.

I hope your nose is feeling better. I get nose-bleeds once in a while and hate them.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thanks for the good advice.  Kane is not a jumper, but Sophie thinks she has springs in her legs and is always bouncing up and down.  I'm going to try the leash thing as she is getting so strong and it's impossible to answer the door with two dogs acting like they are on pogo sticks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts