Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting on the couch and Bo was playing in the floor.  I heard a loud yelp and looked over.  My poor baby had licked the electrical plug in.  He seems to be acting okay right now.  I'm going to have to keep a close eye on him.  If he starts acting strange at all I am taking him to the emergency vet clinic.  Do you think he could have any delayed problems from it later in the night?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
huh....not everyday a dog licks the socket and shocks himself :) ...i am sure he will be just fine! just keep an eye on him, but if he is acting normal i wouldnt think there would be any problems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
he will be fine i think. if youre really worried about him doin it again you could get those inserts for the outlets that block them off when not in use. just a thought. as kate said tho i dont think he will try again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,026 Posts
Goodness!  I  hope he's alright.  I think he should be.
You can get those little plug fillers at target or walmart in the baby section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,757 Posts
I hope Bo is feeling better today!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
You need to have an electrician check the outlet asap!  In order to receive an electrical shock from the outlet you need to short both sides of the receptical.  This would be impossible for Bo to put his tongue into both slots at the same time.  Please have it checked before anyone else gets hurt.

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts
How scary that must hav e been for Bo and you too.  I would just keep a good eye on him if he seems to be ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
Bo should not be able to shock himself.  I hope he gets to feeling better. Call an electrician ASAP.  If something like him licking an outlet could shock, I wouldn't doubt that you may have serious electrical problems!  I definitely wouldn't put this off.  Sounds like a fire hazard to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
tysonsdad\";p=\"42018 said:
You need to have an electrician check the outlet asap!  In order to receive an electrical shock from the outlet you need to short both sides of the receptical.  This would be impossible for Bo to put his tongue into both slots at the same time.  Please have it checked before anyone else gets hurt.

Scott
Saliva is a great conductor of electricity and with how much some of our boxers drool, I can imagine there being enough stuff to close the circuit.
As for the covers, Ringer pulled a couple of mine out of the outlets and ate them.  May work for your dog, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,937 Posts
Poor baby! I was going to suggest the plug covers. I have them because of Sarah even though she never messed with the outlets... you know just in case. Odin's never tried to mess with them though... I mean unless I pulled one out to vacuum and it fell on the floor, then he use to try and run off with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
A couple things - it'd probably be easier for a dog to get a shock if there was something plugged into the outlet and the plug was partially pulled out (i.e. still plugged in enough to conduct electricity but out enough to expose the plug ends).  I've shocked by myself this way, by reaching behind a table and tying to unplug something when you can't see, and mistakenly touching the 2 prongs of the cord at the same time when it was still partly plugged in.  I'd think that just licking an empty outlet/receptacle would not give a dog a shock, but like Dan said, saliva/water conducts electricity fairly well so I guess it could be possible.

Secondly, not to be anal, but electrocution by definition is death caused by electricity.  Unless somebody or something was killed then electrocution has not taken place, they were just given an electrical "shock".  Just saying  :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Bo shocked himself!!!!!!

Bo is fine today.  He acted funny through the night some.  He kept sticking his tongue out while he was sleeping and making weird sucking noises.  His mouth was excessively dry so I gave him drops of water off of my fingers.  I don't see any marks or swelling or anything.  I suppose that he licked it and got shocked.  That is where he was when he yelped and there wasn't anything else around.  He has taken over the corner between the couch and the love seat and that is "HIS" spot.  He picked it out as soon as we brought him home.  I've put a blanket in there for him and when he gets tired that is where he goes.  He had never messed with the plug before, but when he yelped he was standing right beside it and then he sniffed it and ran out of his corner.  I am definitely going to get the covers for the plugs.  Thanks for all the advice and support.  I appreciate it.  


I think this dog is gnna teach me quite a bit.  He definitely is a challenge.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top