Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I am so frustrated with Bo right now.  I still love him very much, but I can't get him to listen to anything.  I know he isn't deaf because he looks at me and his ears perk up when I speak to him.  He just flat out ignores me.  I can sit on the floor and pat my legs and do the puppy calling noise, call his name in a high pitched voice, everything imaginable and he will just sit and stare at me with his head cocked to the side, then when I quit calling his name he runs and pounces on me.   Same thing with going out to potty.  He will not come back in until I quit asking him to, then he hops up on the porch and runs in.  It's like he has to do things on his time.  I don't know how to let him know that I am the boss, not him.  He just sits down and stares all the time.  Is he acting this way on purpose, is he not very smart.  Could he be deaf if he perks his ears and looks when a sound is made?  I'm so confused and frustrated.  I want to teach him what he needs to know, I want him to be a happy healthy dog.  I don't want to fail him.  I know that it is my responsibility to teach him what he needs to know, but I'm dumbfounded... Help please.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How old is your dog?  I wonder if he is hard of hearing.  He might hear vibrations and that is why he looks like he is responding.  I dont know it is just a thought.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is 9 weeks old.  Sometimes he does come, but most of the time he doesn't.  The first few days I had him he was better about coming to me, now that he is comfortable it's like he just wants to ignore me.  He won't even come when I sit in the floor and pat my legs.  He just stares until I stop and then he comes.  It is very frustrating.

How do I find out if he is hard of hearing?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bo is still ignoring me.  He won't even turn and look at me when I call his name.  However, if I make a loud sound he will look.  I don't know if he is deaf or just plain old stubborn.  I need HELP!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
ok first remember you puppy is 9 weeks old. You cant expect a whole lot from such a young dog. You should take him into a room and work with him daily for  about 10 minutes. keep training short becuase his attention span is very limited at this point. Also this is typical boxer trait :) Go to the training forum and read through the post for RECALL is helps with teaching them to come when called. The one thing is though you have to keep telling yourself he is still a baby. It is like being mad at a 6 month old baby becuase it cant walk yet :) time and patience is the key

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what Andrea said, before you panic, work with him and see if it's just Bo being hard headed, which is a boxer trait, or if there is a hearing problem....Refresh my memory some, how long have you had him?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking over Bo's AKC papers and found out he is 8 weeks old today, not 9 almost 10 weeks.  I was wondering why he looked so small to me.  I've had Bo for a week and a half which means he was almost 7 weeks when I got him, which also means that the breeders lied to me about his age so I would go ahead and take him.  I should have looked at his papers then.  I know he is still little, but I've never had a puppy that didn't get overly excited and wag his tail when you used an excited high pitched voice and called their name, heck most puppies I've seen would get excited if you said anything in a high pitched excited voice.  Bo just sits and stares at me, like he is thinking "Have you lost your mind?"  Then when I give up and stop he comes running.  I love him and he is so cute.  Even if he is deaf I will keep him.  I am probably just over worrying.  Bo is fawn with white on all four paws, his chest, and a spot on his nose.  That makes him plain fawn, not flashy fawn, right?  Still learning all of this.  He is my first boxer.  Thanks for all of the help.  I need all that I can get.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
you will get that "have you lost your mind" look ALOT!! :) Give him time-we worry alot but that is because they are our babies. I cant believe the breeders lied about his age. that is worriesome

As for the flashy he wouldnt be considered flashy i dont believe. From my knowledge flashy is when the white comes up the legs, or extends up the chest around the neck, or has it on the face (i.e around the muzzle, between the eyes and so forth) or a combination of the above. And then Super Flashy is all of the above. I believe-please someone correct me if i am wrong

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I thought.  The breeders were pretty old, maybe they were just confused by one week.  They have been breeding for years.  They have a whelping house behind their house that the old lady lives in with the puppies when she has puppies.  They have a small caged in area inside the whelping house with doggy doors that go out to a yard.  It is a really neat set up.  They have 2 males and 8 females.  They give their dogs exercise time each day.  I really was impressed.  I guess I will have to try and bribe Bo to come with treats for a while and I have been reading up on the hide and seek game.

The old lady said she used to sell her boxers for 600-800 dollars a pup, but said she just does it as a hobby now and sells them for a lot less.  She is trying to breed to get reverse brindles.  She wants to breed two reverse brindles to try and get black puppies.  Is this okay or even possible?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
there will never be a black boxer. the fact that she even said this makes me think she is not as competant as she seems. i can just see her now posting ads for "RARE BLACK BOXERS". please keep in mind that i am not trying to bash Bo's breeder, but any breeder who knows the boxer breed will know that boxers do not carry a black gene, so no matter what two boxers she breeds together she will NEVER come out with a true black boxer. she can come out with a reverse so dark it APPEARS black, but it will not be black.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What exactly is reverse brindle any way?  

She was telling me that people were really wanting the reverse brindles to try and breed.  Are they highly desirable, what causes the reverse brindle pattern?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
a reverse brindle is a brindle boxer where the stripe pattern is so dark it over takes fawn color in a coat. Depending on how deep the reverse is, you could either see a very lite pattern of fawn underneath or you could have what is called a sealed reverse brindle which is what people refer to as a "black" boxer. the brindeling is so heavy and dark you can only see the fawn in certain light setting and usually around certain areas of their body. someone on the forum had a GORGEOUS seal. i will see if i can find out who it was-they arent on anymore. one of the parents have to have the gene inorder to produce a reverse.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
here is a link to a member who hasnt posted in a long time her boy is considered a reverse seal
http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... light=seal

here also is a link to a members photopage Diesel-Power is also considered a reverse seal
http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... temId=8437

Some would call my girl Reese or Voltair (who belongs to Calliou) or pretty girl Angle (willows girl) a reverse due to how dark the brindle stripes on them are. there are others here that are as dark as mine and voltair but sorry guys names escape me right now!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we can look and see if they seem to be well bred. i am in no way a breeder though so i do not know all about the confirmation and such. Just a boxer lover who knows her breed :) we do have breeders on the forum so you should get plenty of responses to the pics on whether they are considered a good breed standard or not.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
arent they?? i just love the coloring, you just have to be careful because people try to get more money for them by stating they are "rare black" boxers. The "breeder" we rescued savannah from (my 2yr old) tried telling me she was a "rare mahogany" after a bit of research and thread here on the forum come to find out that it isnt rare at all-just a darker shade of fawn. Lucky for me we got savannah cheap because i just paid for the cost of her spay. i know she was trying to sell the pups at a higher price because of such a "rare" color!!  :?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have Bos parents pictures in the gallery if you would like to look at them.  How do I get them to show up in my post?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
do you have a photobucket or similar photo site account? if so copy and paste the URL into the post field. If not then you had to add as an attachement.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts