Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Feb. 6 (just a week before his 1st b-day) Bo will be getting the snip snip!  They are doing it at my old vet (sigh..just can't get away from them) but the vet knows about ACE and says they won't use it.  I am so happy because then all of my animals will be UTD on all vet care and everything (except Jetta who we are still trying to decide on spaying her or not)

Wish him luck...this is gonna be interesting keeping him calm with his little sister always instigating~

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I thought Bo was snipped in Dec.?  :?  Oh well....Good luck Bo, I'm sure he will be just fine! You should ask about a 2 fer special. If you got Jetta spayed too, it would probably be easier keeping both of them calm at the same time.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...we aren't sure if we are going to spay jetta...not sure if risk and benefits are right...the breeding issue which we won't know til 2...etc...

Bo is getting fixed through a clinic ($40 through kalamazoo humane society for low income families)

Now I do have a question-  petvet offers optional pain meds...operation fix it (humane society) says they are not necessariy and they add $30 on..is this worth getting them, or would aspirin work just fine for him?  I dont' mind spending an extra $30 if it would make it much better on him...but if not necessary then would pass on them...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I paid $400.00 to fix Tyson, and that included all medication.  I would spend the extra $30.00 if I were you.  I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Males do much better on the neuter than a female with a spay, less invasive and not cutting thru all the muscle.  Biggest problem is keeping them still for the 3 -4 day period.  Females it is for two weeks.    I have never had to use pain meds with any of my males.

Nano

I also do my elective surgeries by the moon signs the last few times and have had no swelling or pain for my male or my female.  You can google this if you are interested in learning about it.  Stallings Paint horses has a nice site explaining it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Be careful with aspirin, it can increase bleeding. When Donner was neutered he really seemed to have no pain, just a real loopy afternoon, seemed kind of freaked out, kept trying to stagger around :(   How much are the meds if you wait to see how he does???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The operation fix it people said pet vet is pushing them for $30 and that they can be pretty persistant and seem to be trying to get all the money they can for the "favor" of offering low income neutering...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Having an intact female is a huge responsibility. You must be wary around any strange dogs on walks any where near her cycle. And the mess...........  Are you planning to breed her?  Just thoughts, but really she is best done before her first heat. No need of putting her through the stress for no reason.  Just food for thought.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to breed her pending the 2 year health exams (heart, hip, thyroid) But would be waiting until she was close to 4 years old...not 2...also, I worry about the instance of incontinence with fixed females..we've had one that had this issue, not fun...

There are also other reasons that exist to hold off or not fix a female that I am still researching...just am trying to know all my options...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Felix wasn't sent home with any pain medication, however he had some rimadyl left over from an injury a few months before that I gave him since he seemed to be in pain.  He hardly moved the whole night after bringing him home, but the next morning he was much better, a little stiff legged but back to his self.  the 3rd day he was totally normal and it was very hard to keep him from running and jumping around.
you may want to ask the spay/neuter clinic vet, or call your regular vet to ask if any over the counter meds would be suitable and not cause problems with thinning the blood.  He should really only need it the first day, if at all.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Patch did great when he got snipped.. one round of pain meds after and he was good to go

1 - 11 of 11 Posts