Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum and I wanted to see if anyone could help me out.  We are going to be out of the country for about a month this summer and we are trying to figure out what to do with our pup.  She is 2 years old, very energetic and hates being away from her mommy and daddy.  We really didn't want to take her with us bc we have heard such horror stories of flying with dogs and it  is a 7 hour flight so we don't know how she would handle it.   :(

The only other option we have is to board her.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  We are looking at different places and are considering the Petsmart Hotel as one of our options.  We are terrified that she will get depressed and not do well in this situation.  If anyone could please shed some light on how your boxers reacted to boarding, we would really appreciate it!  

We are in Philadelphia, PA....if anyone has any puppy hotel recommendations, we also appreciate it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Is there anyone who can come and stay at your house while you are gone - maybe a single friend or a local pet sitting service? I have a wonderful pet sitting service that comes to my house and will stay if necessary but unfortunately I am in Texas. I think mine would be traumatized being at some unfamiliar place for that length of time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is that we are having our wedding ceremony over seas and everyone who we would trust with the dog is going to be away too.  I've tried to think of someone who could come over, but haven't come up with anyone yet.  Also it needs to be someone who is used to dogs.  Raven is a handful and as sweet as she is, she's like a baby that needs constant attention.  I guess that's our fault since we spoil her, but we just love her to pieces!  :love:

·
Registered
602 Posts
I know that people might disagree with me but I know at least in my area on Craigslist.org there are a lot of people that advertise under the pet section as Dog walkers or pet sitters you might check there. And while you have time get to know a few potential people that might be able to watch the pup and your house. A lot of these people are bonded and insured. It might be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
[quote="Raven24\";p=\"82927":2dozq7sm]The problem is that we are having our wedding ceremony over seas and everyone who we would trust with the dog is going to be away too.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Can you bring her with you?  You're not inviting your dog to your wedding?   :D

I guess it comes down to what's more traumatic.....a 7 hour plane trip, or 30 days away from every single person you have ever known.

Before I got my pup, I just decided that all long vacation/trips were over, unless its a road trip where I can bring him.  I'm just too paranoid to leave him alone for any length of time.  It's just one of the sacrifices of being a dog owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Believe me, I'm heart broken by not having her there with me and not being able to have her in my photos.  The last time we traveled it was horrible!  We had a huge delay, we were at the airport from 4 in the afternoon till 2 in the morning and then a 7 hour flight.  I informed myself that once you check in you have to check in the pup and then you can't see them anymore until they unboard at the destination, no exceptions.  Can you imagine if there is a delay again?  And on top of that in the dead heat of summer....I've heard that sometimes dogs even die from the heat if there is a delay and it's already boarded on the plane.  

As far as us making plans, our families are both from there, so it really was the best option for our wedding.  We would actually like to get a 2nd pup but we haven't because of the traveling we do.  Just usually there are people here that can watch her for a week or two, in this case everyone we trust will also be there.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would start looking now for a place so you can check them out and get to know them.  Smaller places have more time to devote to play and caring for your baby.  I would also try boxer rescue in your area, maybe a foster home would have room to take your baby for a month and the money you would pay for a regular kennel could go to the rescue for supplies, vet., etc.  

Most animals have to be quarantined for a while if going to another country....not sure how long for each country so even if you tried to take him with you he might be in quarantine for a week or more (I think some are even 4-5 weeks).

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I must agree that a pet sitting service would be the best route to go or to find someone on here or elsewhere who is close to you and willing to watch them.  A month IMO is just to long at a boarding facilty.  

I feel that people have it in their minds that they are getting out to play and there is someone who is throwing a toy or ball with them while they are boarding, and I know there are some high priced pet hotels that offer play time and things such as this....

But, generally in a boarding facility they are taken out to go to the bathroom twice a day and are only out for the amount of time that it takes for them to go to the bathroom, then they are kept in the cage for the remainder of the time.  

I have worked in several vet clinics who offered boarding and offered vet services to other facilities and this has generally been the case 98% of the time.  There is just not enough time or employees to "play" and spend time with every dog boarding.....It is actually pretty sad and I cant imagine them having to stay in this sitaution over more then a weekend if that long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts