Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, does anyone have experience with boarding/training We feel we need that kind of intense training for our 10 month old female. If a positive yes to this question; any place in NC or SC.

thanks

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
We seldom get this kind of question right out the gate..so I'm guessing things must be fairly dire??

I would recommend a "Balanced" training a trainer who believes in "corrections" once a dog has been taught and understands a "command" thy get a "correction" for failure to comply. Corrections can consist of a leash pop or "verbal" depends on the dog!

Could not find it but can find a 'Balanced" trainer in your area here:
FAQ – Solid K9 Training

And in any case there you can also see the kinds of information you should be asking!

Incidentally on Jeff Gellman's Home Page, if you look under the heading "Free Advice" you'll find "everything you need to know to train your dog!" His words not mine. :)

All it takes is time and commitment and a "proper approach to train your dog."

Is this a "Dog Park" dog and can she walk well on a leash? Those are questions I always ask. :)

Take a look here to see a lot of stuff you need to know! (In my view) :)
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/171489-training-management-leadership.html

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
580 Posts
My mentor is a force free trainer who also does board and train. I have gotten the pleasure of working with multiple board and and train clients.

for most people I would not reccomend board and train. Not because it doesnt work. It works beautifully but because the owners arent often prepared to continue the training.

When we have a board and train dog they get put through all the paces we ensure the commands are 100% solid in all contexts with myself and my mentor. Then we have a 2 hour session with the owner upon returning the dog to review everything. The commands, future plans, how to handle situations, etc. The owners that keep in contact and ask questions when problems arise and most importantly are consistant have great success.

For most people we reccomend weekly in home training so we can see how you work with your dog, we can teach you how to properly manage all situations and if any problems arise then we can help you deal with the situation immediately.

·
Registered
236 Posts
HI, does anyone have experience with boarding/training We feel we need that kind of intense training for our 10 month old female. If a positive yes to this question; any place in NC or SC.

thanks
Honestly it would depend on the problems... that being said is you feel better if she was a board and trained, then that's what you need to do.
Are you centrally located in NC or SC?
I may be able to get you a name

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Board and train may only work if you do follow up training with your dog to learn to continue the progress. Otherwise, it would be a waste of money, IMO.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I haven't done this but I would think that board and train would teach your dog basic commands. Then I would think you would need a 6-8 weeks course at least once to learn what your dog just went thru and to practice it. Even the best trained dog needs continued training even if limited to keep him sharp. I really think unless there are some dire issues that a course that teaches both y ou and y our dog together is the best mode. Of course I'm no expert but thats my opinion.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,

I noticed your original post is from July. Are you still looking for training help for your boxer? Would you be willing to share what issues you are experiencing?

As an example of what you may want to look for...we are in Middle TN and we provide in home board and train programs. Board and Train programs are a financial investment, but look at it as the trainer is doing the heavy lifting with the dog. There absolutely has to be consistency and compliance when the dog comes home with the owner because the dog hasn't been practicing the new lifestyle but for a few weeks. Many owners have a few stumbling blocks when the dog first comes home because it is easy to fall back into the old way of life. It is essential for the trainer to get owner participation throughout the board and train stay via communication (videos, emails, etc), as well as take home sessions and follow-up. We provide between 8-10 hours of additional support in take home and follow-up sessions. There are 2 - 2hr take home sessions (day before the dog goes home in our home, so the owner can see and learn the work. I take the dog home the next day, to show the owner how to apply the work in their home). We then offer 2 follow-up sessions (up to 3 hours per session if needed) to progress or troubleshoot training and free 30 day email/phone support.

Take the time to research trainers in your area. Look for social media channels (facebook, twitter, instagram, periscope and/or website) of the trainer showing their work. This will give you a feel of their style and personality. There are a lot of dog trainers that are "dog people", not "people people". I hope that helps.

Stacee.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me follow up on our Board/Training quest. We sent Anabelle to "TopDog' in Greenville NC. This operation is exceptional. 3 week cost was $700 and we were involved once a week. She responded to all the basic commands, the one I love is "leave it".
As everyone has said, follow up at home is critical and we have slacked a bit but some of the training remains.
We will be getting a new pup, very well bred with longevity in the lines. We are going to bring Anabelle to TopDog for a week. They allow boarding for dogs they have been trained by them. So we get her a bit of training and boarding when we travel 11 hours to get our new pup, at the end of April.

By the way, cancer has become the number one killer of boxers per NC State Vet Hospital and School. No tests available so longevity may be what to look for as far back as you can go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would totally recommend solid k9 training. I live in Florida but I have watched tons of his videos and he is awesome. He explains everything so well and seems balanced. It has helped me so much in learning how to use an e-collar. I take my guy to a trainer who helps me as well but I also watch his videos to help reinforce what I’m being taught.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Boxers are known by the medical community as "Cancer in a Box."Our vet said that to us once when we brought "Struddell" in, he then looked at us kind sheepishly and said ... "oh sorry." I said no problem already know. :)

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I would totally recommend solid k9 training. I live in Florida but I have watched tons of his videos and he is awesome. He explains everything so well and seems balanced. It has helped me so much in learning how to use an e-collar. I take my guy to a trainer who helps me as well but I also watch his videos to help reinforce what I’m being taught.
Gellman was one of the first trainers I discovered online after I'd solved "Rocky's" H/A aggression issues. My Oversize Working Line GSD ... my first ... it did not go well for me him and Gunther for a very long time. Big furry dog with a pointy face ... should have stuck with Boxers ... but it worked out well for Roc and I in the long run. :)

At anyrate ... Jeff yes lots of straightforward easy to follow crap free advise for owners having trouble. He's one of my favorite trainers. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts