Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed last night as Jaxon was going up the stairs in front of me to go to bed that his belly seemed dipped in more than what I think should be.  Different ways he moves make him look thin and other times he looks fine.  I noticed tonight that when I fed him his evening meal his belly was again extremely dipped in.  My grandmother was at my home, so I mentioned it to her and she agreed.  Jaxon is eating very regularly and doesn't show a lack of energy.  He's also a 14 week old puppy so could he just be having a growth spurt and seem awkwardly filled out?  He does see his vet this week so I'll make sure with him there is no concern, but has anyone else ever noticed their puppy's belly changing like this?  Right now..about 2 hours after he last ate, his belly looks fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
my boog is 14 weeks old and i notice the same thing my wife and i keep saying i think he looks thin he eats great and full of energy so i havent woried yet....lol..... i think we will have to wait and see

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
most likely it is a groth spurt. Reese is going through one at 7 months now and she looks funny. No matter how much she eats she still appears thin with the dipped in belly. I am not worried because i know she will fill out. once jaxon is done growing up he will fill out. just give hima  little time. as long as the spine isnt showing or the hip bones i wouldnt worry too much

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot!  He sees his vet tomorrow so I'm sure that will ease me!  We're also in the process of switching to a better food, haven't started yet, but will with tomorrow's feedings.

By the way...that t-shirt of Boog's is ADORABLE!!!!  Jaxon just got a Mickey Mouse hoodie...must post pictures!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
You have nothing to worry about.   Cuda went thru the same phases.   Friends would say "Feed that dog".......while all along she was eating me out of house and home.   She still has a thin belly at almost 2 years old and eats at least 15 lbs of dry puppy food per week.    I think it is part of the broad chest/ narrow waist Boxer build.   When I see one that is really wide in the waist........they look over weight to me.

I have always used Pedigree puppy.   They grow like a weed and stay very regular with no bathroom issues.

Good luck at the vet!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Boxer have a natural "sleek" look...so long as you cant see ribs and spine theyre fine...i wouldnt worry about it much...theyre suppose to look like that...lilly is almost three and is 60# and is very sleek...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Well I wonder what we would do if we didn't worry over our babies every minutes of the day.  Just when you think you have things under control they turn around and find something new to worry us.  I find myself pinching Sophie's skin to make sure she is hydrated enough..... OMG I don't know how I raised 5 skin babies, 18 afghan hounds, 3 dobies, and 2 malamutes and now am such a nut case when it comes to my babies now.  I'm going to wind up in a home!

·
Registered
109 Posts
[quote="Kate\";p=\"28874":15lwlp8n]Well I wonder what we would do if we didn't worry over our babies every minutes of the day.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like I have a newborn in the house again!  I worry over everything!!!  I love my Bayla, but she was never so much fun to buy for and I never had to question if she was developing ok.  Jaxon's just my little guy..in the past two days I've spent several hours just figuring out what food he *should* be eating!....don't worry I'm still LOST!!!  I've read this stickey on rating foods...I'm not satisfied with a 100 A grade...I want the 127 A+ grade.  Can't find most of the better foods in my area..stinks!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Hint -  If you find a food you like go to their website and find where they are distributed in your area.  Many of the websites of the food list by zip code where you can find them.   Many are not however in commercial stores like petsmart and petco.  There you will find some good ones but personally at least around here you are paying a higher price.

Feel free to PM me your zip and I can see what I can find.   I tried for Tango, but he lives in the middle of nowwhere:)  ha ha - Just kidding

1 - 11 of 11 Posts