Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum - just introduced myself in the "Welcome" area yesterday - and have one big question before we pick up our puppy, Atticus, next week.  He is to be my 16-year-old daughter's dog so she will be the one who attends obedience training with him when the time comes for that.  (BTW, is that typically started when they are six months old?)  He will probably also sleep in a crate in her room and, in general, will probably be bonding mostly with her, though I expect to spend at least a few hours a day most days interacting with him as well (playing, walking and training).  

My daughter will be graduating from high school next May and starting college in September of next year.  She'll live at home during her first year of college but hopes to find a roommate or two (or three!) to share a house beginning in her second year of college so that she can take Atticus with her.  I am, of course, already seeing all the possible problems with that, and am quite prepared for the dog to end up back here with us.  My concern is whether this might be traumatic for the dog, since it will have bonded most closely with her.  

If anyone has advice for how to prepare for this possible, worst-case scenario, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
AnnA

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I dont think you will have any problems if it comes down to that, seeing as you will have been around the dog for the first year of its life.  

Will you have any contact with the dog while she is living on her own.  If it would make you feel better, i would suggest as much contact with the dog as you possibly can.

·
Registered
186 Posts
well there is no gaurentee who the dog will bond with most, im sure he will have a special bond with each family member, atleast i know thats how my boxer is, although she does tend to look more to my husband as the "leader", my boxer never went to classes so im no help there. i do knwo boxers take alot of patience and love and care. so it might end up bonding with you more anyways since you will also be around him alot.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a trainer:

Class training typically statrs around 6 mths of age (due to shot requirements), however, training should start the moment the pup enters your home.  You can get a trainer to come into your home and do in home training.  I am training 2 Boxer pups that are 12 weeks old.  I have been training them since they were 8 wks.  The sooner you start the better.  REMEMBER:  Don't let your pup do now what it won't be allowed to do as an adult!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
616 Posts
Gunner is my 14 year old daughters.  She does an excellent job with him.  She is the light of his life and vice versa but he also has a great amount of love for the rest of the family.

My daughter too would like to take him with her when she goes to college....that we will have a few years to worry about.  

We started puppy training when our oldest, Scout was 12 weeks old.  We trained Gunner on our own, using the same techniques, starting when he first came into our home.  I encourage the training to 1.  properly train them and 2. for socialization purposes.

Best of luck and we can't wait to hear all about Atticus when you bring him home!  I'm sure you will have a ton of questions, so ask away!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback and reassurance.  I'm a lot less worried about this issue now.  What a great forum!

I'm sure I'll still have lots and LOTS of contact with him after my daughter moves out, Angela.  Let's face it... meals and laundry will always be cheaper here!  

lillyzmomma\";p=\"15833 said:
 REMEMBER:  Don't let your pup do now what it won't be allowed to do as an adult!!!

Liz and Lilly
Trust me, I know this well.  The hard part will be training my daughter to be consistent and stern enough in that regard.

AnnA

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Perhaps you could attend obedience class with her? It really helps to have someone else go, that way you both are learning and can practice at home and then teach everyone else in the house! One of the keys to any training is being consistent...Make sure whatever commands you teach, that everyone learns to do it the same way....

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Yes, what they said.
We've already told our son that he can't take Little Henry with him to college! :lol:
He's my other baby; besides, I've been to college and know for a fact that son won't have time to properly care for pup!
Z

·
Registered
948 Posts
My dogs are really bonded to me because I took over all aspects of training and all the care. If I give Toby a command and my boyfrend gives him one at the same time, he blocks my bf out and does whatever I asked of him. My bf is a HUGE push over when it comes to the dogs, so when I say something, they know i mean business.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lilly minds me, then my kids, then my hubby.  Hubby is a huge pushover too!!!  Lilly knows that what I say goes and that I run the roost!!!  I think she thinks that hubby is here for the food or something else (ROFLMAO)!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
31 Posts
This actually happened to me.  When I move back into my parents house several years ago I brought My girl Roxy with me.  Well I eventually moved out again about 2 years later.  Well needless to say my parents would not let me take her and she was spoilled there too.  My mom didn't work so the two of them actually created a very strong bond.  When I go over there now she still listens to every word I say.  She knows that I'm the Boss but she still listens to my parents and more importantly she listens to my 4 year old Niece more then anyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts