Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I went through the same thing with Fiona.  I got her when she was 12 weeks old so we missed alot of "bonding time."  There were days that I would have sworn up and down that she would never bond with me or that she even cared anything about me.  She would not come to me when called and she would run when I tried to pet her.  I also have a young skin kid that takes much time and attention.

I MADE time 20 minutes a day to devote to Fiona and her training on sitting, come and stay.  I made special moments of peanut butter treats and lots of love. In time it has changed.  She is now 5 months old and if I step back I would be on her toes.  I cant even go to the bathroom without her coming to check in on me. She loves everyone but she is the closest to me and I wondered if that would ever happen.

Keep your head up and dont get discouraged.  How old is she? Just make time for her that you can spend one on one.  Boxers want to be with thier humans and aim to please.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
How about Ruby Butterfly Chasing or somethign of that variation for her registered name?

As for bonding with her...I agree with sharonL...make a little time for her everyday, just to bond, train, and cuddle...

I use my skinkids naptime for this with Lilly.

Also, as a side note:

Training your Boxer also increases the bond and trust in the relationship.  It does help, but so does cuddles, kisses, peanutbutter and love...lol!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feel your pain, I was with Gus 24/7 (I don't have kids though). And all I thought would be great, my husband would walk thru the door and I didn't exsist unless he was scared or hungry or needed to pee.. Gus still goes nuts 5 months later when my husband comes thru the door and if I leave Im lucky if he raises his head from his nap... It will come with time, I agree with SharonL and just need quality time.
Good Luck..
As for names, we named Gus after our favorite character from our favorite movie..... Augustus McCray.. From Lonesome Dove.. we just didn't use McCray...and my husband is a poker player pt. time   so we ended up with Augustus Highroller.... It was cute..
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I felt the same way about Lola at first.  She was with me a lot and was happy when I came home, but got overly excited when she would see my bf, mom or dad.  I thought, what the heck..she's with me the most and all I get is a tail wiggle, when they get kisses and wiggles and jumps and running around!  My mother thought it was because she sees me as "her mother" and got mad when I left her.  After we started training and I began taking her on walks and stuff it all changed.  Now she gets overly excited when she sees me!  If my bf and I are on the couch watching tv and he invites her up...she'll jump up, give him a kiss then cuddle on top of me...same thing in the bed.  And I can't go anywhere without her right beside me!  It'll happen in time...lots of love & cuddles & training!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I didnt have a problem with bonding with my 2 boxers....they are by my side 24/7. My hubby on the other hand-they didnt want anything to do with him......until last night, they both wanted to lay on him while he was watching TV....made him feel good...funny thing is....he just called me to ask how the dogs were.....didnt ask how me or the kids were just the pups   lol

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lilly is absolutely in love with me...She loves my hubby and kids, but is totally my girl!!!

Don't worry hunny...it'll happen...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't have a problem with bonding with my babies... I can't for some reason bond to older dogs.. lol I love me some puppies! I let them sleep in bed with me and cuddle all night... Mia and Toby love me and only listen to me.. but love my bf as well..  :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
newboxerbaby\";p=\"20491 said:
Ruby just gets along so well with my husband!  She listens better for him and everything and I'm the one at home with her.  
I think the fact that you're around her the most may be why she's less eager to please you.  I bet if you spent a good long day away from her, she'd be verrrrry excited when you walked back through the door.  At this point, she's just taking you for granted because she CAN.  

I noticed this exact thing with Atticus.  I haven't been working much this summer so am at home pretty much 24/7 and my feelings were getting a bit hurt when Atticus would go nutso when my husband came home from work, but acted like he didn't even notice I was gone if I made a quick trip to the store or something.  But the first time I spent the better part of a day away, he kidney-beaned himself into a complete circle when I walked in.  

AnnA

·
Registered
627 Posts
I can't really help with the bonding situation, cause I've never experienced that, but my first Boxer's name was Ruby, and we registered her as Ruby Slippers.

·
Registered
291 Posts
IT DOES TAKE TIME OF COURSE AS WITH ANYTHING, WHY NOT INCLUDE EVERYONE, THE KIDS TOO! MAKE IT A FAMILY AFFAIR, THAT WAY EVERYONE CAN BOND WITH HER.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with Nate. Make it a family affair...make time to take the whole family outside to play with her. You could even work on her tricks and recall together.

I bonded a lot with Macy at night. When we would sit down to watch TV I would put her in the chair with me and she would fall asleep. Of course, now she thinks that she is a lap dog, but she's so cute I can't say no.

When we picked Macy's name we just went with a name that we liked. We didn't get to pick Guido's name, but I think it's cool anyways.

For Macy's registered name, AKC sometimes recommends using the parent's names. I think Macy's is Princess Isaac's Macy Hines.

So it doesn't make a whole lot of sense together, but Macy's Mom's name was Princess Pita Cobina and her Dad's name was something like Isaac Newton.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It does take time, but Andrea,Chloesmom hit the nail on the head! Males bond more with female skin persons and vice versa...Also something else to keep in mind, boxers are very intuitive, Ruby could be picking up vibes from you that are sending mixed signals, your frustrations, etc...Angel was a tough nut to crack when we brought her home. Rhonda said that she would be Marq's dog rather than mine, not so...Despite us butting heads, Angel follows me as much as Samson, oh yes, they are both happy to see Marq when he comes homes, but boy when I leave & come home, it;s the kidney bean express... :)

Definitely work with her daily, in play and in obedience, she will quickly become attached to you as you will to her....As for registered name, you can also incorprate the kennel name in as well...Ruby is just a "call" name, her registered name doesn't have to reflect that....My Buck's registered name is Visions of Timbuktu, cute huh? Aka Buck....Angels' is Donje's I'm just a country Angel....

·
Registered
292 Posts
A lot of times when a boxer gets really excited to see someone they start curling themselves around and look like a kidney bean. Macy does it every time I come home, she starts curling her head towards her tail and will try walking like that or sometimes she'll try jumping in that position.

·
Registered
491 Posts
as everyone has said, just keep spending time and shower her with affection.  she'll come around.  my hubby works out of town and is gone all week, so when he walks thru the door it's all about him.  gunnar goes NUTS!!  it's like he's craving that male 'thing', they rough house and play hard, he loves it.  but he still loves his mama!!!  we thought and thought for a name for him and finally came up with Sir Gunnar Barksalot.  my daughter named ginger, as she was her bday present.  we had to include the breeder's name so she is Schautzie's Ginger Girl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts