Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an appointment for Bonzer to get neutered next week and I am very nervous!!  He will be six months old the day I bring him in and I am just wondering if that is a good age.  I was told today that if it is done too early he could develop problems such as thyroid and others.   What would you recommend?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I have always spayed and neutered before the age of 6 months, so Bonzer should be fine. There are pro's and con's to early and late spay and neuter's, but I prefer to fix them early before any of the unwanted behaviors start.
Good Luck Bonzer, and remember to tell the vet NO ACE!

Check out this link.

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=1514

Attachments

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I also personally spay and neuter around 6 months.  Fiona was actually done at about 5 1/2 months and with no problems! My lab prior to Fiona was a rescue and she was spayed at 3 1/2 months (by rescue) and she lived until 14 years old, a long healthy life without any health problems. I am sure he will be fine!!!!!!!!

Reality is that it is a choice you make as an owner and a trade off of "possible" behaviors.  There are plenty of unaltered pets that have thyroid problems and testicle cancer and plenty of neutered males that still hike and mark on things and hump your leg.....Each dog is different!!! :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
All of my dogs have been done at 6 months or so and I have never had issues.  

I got Luther done at 6 months old and he is still getting HUGE.  He is 11 months old and is about 73 lbs and 26".  

If you are in doubt, ask your vet first and they will talk with you about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts