Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been taking Ollie to obedience and other types of classes. And I have noticed a behavior that I can't quite pinpoint.
When we are doing stuff, walking, commands, etc. he is great, but if another dog is having his time or we have stopped and are just waiting around chatting and whatnot, Ollie starts barking (and he rarely barks).
I find that getting him moving or doing something gets him to stop. I do sits, downs, give paw, etc. and he is good to go. But it takes a minute of downtime for him to start getting what I call antsy.  Then he just starts barking at the other dogs or nothing  :roll: .
It's frustrating sometimes b/c all the other dogs will just be chill laying down and relaxing, and I have to keep going to occupy him.
I also notice that he turns into a camel during the training classes. Constantly having to drink water all the time. The instructor says it's because he is nervous. I also think he is not a big fan of being leashed when he is around other dogs. Wants to play, at least that's what I think. Sometimes he is great with other dogs on leash and other times turns into a tyrant.
He is doing great at daycare and our last class for the "Out and About" class that we are in is to go to an off-leash Dog beach on Saturday. Im interested to see how he reacts off-leash with his classmates.
Anyone have any tips to help with his behavior, which I can't quite figure out what the cause is?
Is anyone else's boxer this antsy?
Thanks!
-Dawn and Ollie

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
When we went to dog school, Zulu was a complete lunatic. And as you say all the other dogs and owners were practically asleep, and he was bouncing off the walls, but silently.  :lol:  I'm sure they must have thought there was something wrong with us :lol:  :lol:

I think that maybe he is anxious and excited at the same time and this is how he deals with it. When he is off the lead he can control when he plays and when he approaches the other dogs, on a lead he prob just wants to get to them and have a burn.

He prob gives himself a dry mouth with all the heavy breathing and barking :lol:  :lol:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
When we aren't paying enough attention to Duke or if we start paying attention to Bentley Duke will start barking and howling.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I used to get worried over what people thought about me and my lunatic boy - but that passed pretty quickly.
He probably is somewhat anxious (I definitely know he's excited  :lol: ).

I never thought that I was paying too much attention to him. See you don't notice stuff when it's right in front of your face - that's what's great about this forum !! I do ignore his unwanted behaviors at home (although that is very rare), so it would make sense to do it out in public. I guess maybe I am a little afraid that he will get agressive if I don't redirect his anxiousness. But I am most likey encouraging it. Little booger is an attention hog.

Thanks for the tip - it's worth a shot. Won't be able to do it on Saturday b/c he will be off leash, but I will be sure to give it a try out on walks.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Good luck Ollie and Ollies mom, im sure he just being overly excited Boxer crazy as only us Boxer moms and dads understand:lol:  :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts