Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just realized as I am telling Harleigh to quit eating the grass that this is her first experience with it. She was born in November in Michigan, so this Spring is her first experience with grass. All she wants to do is eat it. It's not good for them to eat it right? Isn't that how they get worms and other parasites? She chases her ball until it stops and then proceeds to take a CHUNK of grass (sometimes with the dirt) and chews on it. I try to get all that I can out of her mouth. I noticed that even in her stool she has peices of grass in it which only makes it dangle (sorry TMI)

I know I am not the only one who has a dog that eats grass but is it something you can stop?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I think it would just make her throw up; I haven't heard it can cause a huge amount of harm unless it's consumed in large amounts. It is certainly annoying when they go for everything in site on the ground...with their mouths. Little stones was the worst for us...we just had to keep distracting her with something else/toy/treat etc. and then give praise to reward her leaving it. Good luck! I can't wait till I can see grass  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Both of mine are grass eaters, but they seem to go in streaks eating it....Buck tho got violently sick anytime he ate it, which was seldom thankfully....Yea, the stringy stuff is a bit gross huh? That usually doesn't happen with mine tho

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ashley eats grass on occasion..she has a year round supply here in Texas..but her "grazing" has diminished quite a bit. I don't think it sits well with her, as we had a couple grass pukes shortly after she figured out it was edible.. ( oh  TMI here too..lol! )
Hope she out grows it for you Ginger..maybe its just a new taste she thinks is fun..but boy you sure don't need her diareha issue comming back..maybe you need to be Mommy grass patrol for a bit till she figures its not that goosd ( Oh..and since your in the north..make sure she isn't eating anything when you fertilize..we have Chemlawn..so it dries in about an hour thankfully..but I still watch her on those days!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I've always heard that when a dog eats grass their tummy is upset.  It don't really sound that way in your case though.  Maybe it's just because it's new to her.  Wish I could be of more help but that's all I got....

·
Registered
882 Posts
my last boxer Sexy ate grass to sometimes and I would try and make sure she didn't because I would be certain to wake up in the middle of the night to her puking....so now with Gaby the same rules apply no grass eating!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Ugh...I am dealing with my Whippet, Angelina eating grass ALL THE TIME!! Then she pukes immediately--or surprises me a little later with her "GACK GACK GACK" noises!! No matter how I yell at her to quit and chase her, she looks at me like, "I do what I want!" and does just THAT!! Grrrrrrr!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
when our chocolate lab gets really excited he eats grass... he is like a little lawnmower... never pukes though

G

·
0 Posts
My two love grass.  They never get sick from it though, I think they just like the taste and texture.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Same!!!! Tyson loves to eat grass, nibble on dirt and pick up tiny stones!
No matter how hard I try to keep him entertained with toys he loses interest and finds it in the dirt? I think he might of eaten a few lil stones already coz it its hard to fish around in his gob for em. Hope they aren't too harmful?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry is a regular goat! :lol:   He constantly grazes the yard, having a munch whenever he wants.  Hasn't caused any problems, so I let him! :D

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sure hope thats the case with Harleigh and that it doesn't effect her. This morning she woke up with a couple gags and coughs only assuming it's peices of grass stuck in her throat.  :roll: Maybe she'll learn....but I'm sure that is wishful thinking at it's best

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe used to eat grass non stop when she was a puppy but she out grew it now I'm battling pebble eating with Brodi. Really wish it was grass tho instead of rocks, ugh!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ringer eats the stuff daily.  I think he thinks it's a game cause every time we play in the back yard, he drops his head to the ground, grabs a bunch of grass and burns around the yard trying to get me to chase him.
Here is the after effect of too much grass:
<a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/ikickyouinthenuts/Random/photo#5138279746883775458">

G

·
0 Posts
I remember that picture.  Gross!

Bear has a thing for sweet gum balls.  Not sure if those trees are just here or anywhere else, so some people may have no idea what I am talking about.  

Binga will pick one up and it will be sticking out of her lips.  Bear chases her for it.  Who needs toys!?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know what gum balls are but we have walnuts and pine cones that make there way into her mouth as well.

G

·
0 Posts
before they fall off the tree

after

Bear LOOOOVES them.  He carries them around like his little prize   :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts