Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while and I need to update my pics. Boss turned 1 on 3/16 and he's just becomming such a big boy. But anyway normally we take him to play with his parents and now there's one of his little brothers living with them. Normally its the mommy who gives boss a hard time at first I guess because after not seeing him for a while she is just overproctective of the puppy. But after a while she's fine and she plays and licks boss as if he never left the litter. But on friday something crazy happened.

Before I brought boss out I went out and made sure that mommy, daddy and puppy were calm before I brought boss out. But when I did daddy just went into attack mode and went straight after boss. Normally daddy is just so happy go lucky with him. But this time he was after blood, so much that mommy started attacking daddy too and before I knew it I was in the middle of a boxer/american bulldog royal rumble. Even after I removed boss from the situation daddy was still so charged up that we just had to keep mommy and daddy in the garage and let boss and the puppy romp in the yard that night. Anyone have any idea why daddy would act this way. I thought maybe because boss was bigger than daddy he might be trying to be dominant but other than that I can't seem to figure out why he did that. He's not neutered yet either so maybe that might be the reason also but I just don't know. Good thing boss has forgotten it and doesn't seem tramatized by it so im happy for that. I just don't know why that happened and now im iffy on bringing him over there again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Is he good around other dogs?   Are they both intact?   Just because they are related does not mean they are going 100% get along.   if you want to continue the play time then I would suggest introducing them again one on one - on lead.   Or have a trainer come along and observe the behavior and can point out what to do.   IMO not all dogs are going to get along.  As much as you may want them to play together, if its not going to work one on one, then best to just IMO remove the dog from the entire situation.

IMO father may have felt that the mother and puppy were threatened by another dog coming along.   They use their defense drive and do some resource guarding (as in the dogs he is familar with).   So dont get upset - dogs will be dogs, but do work on it, and also realize if it fails over and over again, IMO find some other dogs to play with:)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
is dad american bully? bully males tend to be super protective esp of their "wife" lol..plus thats HIS house..maybe Boss had a smell on him that was unfamiliar..who knows..you can never totally know why things happen that way....good thing is that none of them really got hurt..i had an american bully male for yrs and he was the goofiest greatest dog BUT when it came to CERTAIN people ( never knew why but he sure did) he would lose his mind..he was always protecting my sons..it didnt make sense to me but somehow he really was upset so i just went with it b/c it was always a stranger..and the occasional dog that rubbed him the wrong was..which wasnt often but when it did ..BOY OH BOY WATCH OUT..

i agree 100% with Heather (Hanna) ^^^^

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ky_IsisnOnyxsMama\";p=\"102203 said:
is dad american bully? bully males tend to be super protective esp of their "wife" lol..plus thats HIS house..maybe Boss had a smell on him that was unfamiliar..who knows..you can never totally know why things happen that way....good thing is that none of them really got hurt..i had an american bully male for yrs and he was the goofiest greatest dog BUT when it came to CERTAIN people ( never knew why but he sure did) he would lose his mind..he was always protecting my sons..it didnt make sense to me but somehow he really was upset so i just went with it b/c it was always a stranger..and the occasional dog that rubbed him the wrong was..which wasnt often but when it did ..BOY OH BOY WATCH OUT..

i agree 100% with Heather (Hanna) ^^^^
The dad is 100% boxer the mom is the american bulldog. And normally its her who has to get used to boss again, because she would growl at him when he would come close to her or the puppy, but after a while they would be playing and licking each other. This time she was fine with boss, but dad just flipped out.

This is dad

Mom

Boss at christmas

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
sounds like hes just being a typical dad ..esp since hes at his house..thats his girl and his pup..as long as Boss is ok ..no one got hurt..id go with what Hanna said and take it easy..try it (if you want to ) again but in a controlled setting...all up to you and how you feel about it :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree propbably more of a territory thing....maybe have them come to your place or let him play with mom....or at a park that is a more even ground...the dad dog may still act the same way though...It is probably because Boss is getting older and dad had to show his manhood :)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
GOOD LORD...mom & dad are GORGEOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!

i am so so partial to american bullys and she's BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

and WOW Boss is the perfect mix of the 2...hes SO handsome !!!!

ditto to what Sharon said...most def.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I had to come back and add this so that all of you could laugh at me...instead of me just laughing at myself......
When I first saw the thread I did not know your dog's name was Boss and I thought that you were going to explain having a really bad day at work...That your boss's dad came and attacked him :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sharonL\";p=\"102267 said:
I had to come back and add this so that all of you could laugh at me...instead of me just laughing at myself......
When I first saw the thread I did not know your dog's name was Boss and I thought that you were going to explain having a really bad day at work...That your boss's dad came and attacked him :)
HAHAHAHA, too funny.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
uhmm ditto i thought the exact same thing...i was like wow thats terrible..hahahaha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts