Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She was licking them more during the summer, and I've read that their saliva can turn the skin a rusty red, but I wasn't sure if this might be an age-related thing. Mia will be 10 in Dec.

Anyone else have boxer paws that look like these photos?

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
I remember my lab/shep mix had the same type of staining on his front legs. He use to lick a lot when he got older. I don't think our vet was ever concerned about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I sent the photos to the vet they called back and said they look very irritated and that I should soak them 3x daily in 1ml of Germistat (they gave me some back in May/June) when the paws looked pink but not quite as rust-coloured. Also apply Polysporin.

If not better next week I have an appointment for her.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My female did the same thing to her private area she has allergies and the skin got a yeast infection where she had been licking at it the same can happen with the feet so sounds like you have a good treatment plan!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
It looks like yeast to me. You can probably bathe them in a chlorhexidine shampoo. The rust color comes from her saliva. Kinda hard to get rid of the stain.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking the spot on the top of her paw might be another MCT starting. Mia had 2 removed last winter - forearm and flank. The hair seems to be growing back though, so maybe it's not an MCT.

Hopefully it will start to improve with the Germistat and Polysporin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from the vet. He was not overly concerned with the rust colour, especially since they don't seem to be bothering her very much.

I told him she seems to have more issues with her face being itchy, scratching about every hour. He gave me an Rx for Apoquel, but after reading about how it suppresses her immune system, I'm not sure I want to give it to her. Boxers have enough cancer problems without meds that suppress the immune system.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't use apoquel for my female Boxer because it caused diarrhea really bad with her so no more of that. My Vet gives her Cytopoint injections so far there have been no side effects and it stops the itching pretty pricey but they work well

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't use apoquel for my female Boxer because it caused diarrhea really bad with her so no more of that. My Vet gives her Cytopoint injections so far there have been no side effects and it stops the itching pretty pricey but they work well
Mia will be 10 in a couple of weeks so I don't want to start her on something that suppresses her immune system or could upset her stomach. Cytopoint would be a much better option. There's another YouTube video by a vet who explains how Cytopoint just stops one of the 3 enzymes required to start the itch inflammation. More expensive, but also much easier on dogs.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sounds like Mia has a wonderful and caring owner! Usually after the initial dose of Cytopoint I have had it last in my girl for up to 3 months so it is expensive but when you get extra time out of it it all evens out plus easier on the dog.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like Mia has a wonderful and caring owner! Usually after the initial dose of Cytopoint I have had it last in my girl for up to 3 months so it is expensive but when you get extra time out of it it all evens out plus easier on the dog.
Thanks! I want her to be comfortable in her golden years. Did I mention she gets a piece of BBQ steak with her dinner every night? :)
If Mia goes to town on her paws next summer I will probably ask the vet about Cytopoint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts