Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Bosco on Sunday.  He looked a little on the thin side, so my dad suggested I add some plain white rice to his diet as well.  So all week I have been giving him 1 1/2 cups of IAMS Lamb & Rice dog food plus 1 cup of rice twice a day.....breakfast and dinner.    Is this too much or too little to feed a 6 yr old boxer?  And his poops have been half solid, half runny.  Is this normal?  And the farting....WOW!  They smell so bad!  Haha!

Other then that, Bosco is your typical boxer.  Lots of energy, eats well and very loving.  I just want to be sure I am doing everything properly.  Any info/tips would be great!

Thanks,
Laurie

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
A bit grain heavy for me.   But maybe switching to a food with a better protein content and mixing in cottage cheese, boiled chix would be better.   I think the rice is just really passing thru him.  Its a filler and much better putting on weight using more "fatty" protein such as cottage cheese and eggs.   Yogurt added will also cut down on the toots.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely add a teaspoon of plain, non fat yogurt to Bosco's food, much better for him and should help with the gas...Also the food could be causing that as well...Angel had the god awfullest gas when we brought her home til I got her food switched, but any food changes you need to do slow...Scramble an egg as well and add it for some extra protein. You can use raw eggs, but it might be best at first not to upset that tummy too much..It actually is best not to try and put weight on too quickly and you do want him to stay a bit lean anyways, just the last couple of ribs showing

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I was going to say it could be the food also; Kiah had more gas on some of the foods we tried.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wow, if you get rid of his gas, pass this knowledge my way, sometimes i feel like I live in a cloud of methane.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I had a terrible time finding the right food with Kiah as she had problems with many of the foods we tried.  The one that worked for her was Pro Plan Natural Select Salmon and Brown Rice.  I guess I was lucky because on that food she hardly ever has gas.  Each dog may react differently to a food, while Kiah may not have gas another may have terrible gas on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
finding the right food for your boxer is going to be a challenge.  i've seen hundreds of posts on this, everyone has their own opinion.  there is also a post somewhere on here (i can't find it right now, but i'm sure someone will) that grades all the most popular dog foods.  we tried 5 different dog foods before we found one that worked for our boxer.  we tried eukanuba, iams, bill-jac, nutra something, and blue buffalo.  our boxer finally did well with royal canin for boxers.  i tried all the other ones first because i thought that the "for boxers" thing was all marketing baloney.  but, i was wrong, she likes it and her gas went down by about 50%.  again, you'll probably have to find the right one for your boxer through trial and error.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The above posters are right!  Every dog is different.  We were so proud of ourselves for feeding Duke Royal Canan for Boxers (it rated 106, I think, on the rating scale), but it ended him at the vets with severe digestive distress!  We feed no table scraps due to boxer's lousy digestive systems, so it was definitely the food.  Come to find out, RC Boxer is 20% fat!  Our vet said that a high fat diet can lead to pancreatitis.  We're now slowly changing Duke to Blue Chicken and Brown Rice Large Breed (only 12% fat), which he likes (it rated 106 on the scale).  It's available at Petsmart.  I've also read good things on this site about Canidae (it rates 112 on the scale), but we can't get that food locally, where we live.   The food you're currently feeding doesn't rate very high on the scale.  Again, every dog is different.  Our lab eats RC Labrador, and does fine on it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts