Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering a boxer and am seeking advice as I have a few questions before I add one to my family. By family I mean me and my Golden retriever who is 3yrs old and loves other dogs and loves it when friends bring their dogs over to our house he definitely loves being around other dogs just as much as being with me and I think both of us are ready to bring another dog in and I've always loved boxers theirs something special and funny about them but I have some questions before I make my final decision, these questions are things I get mixed awnsers on and wanted to hear your experience to help me in my decision

1) some say that adult boxers are hyper and don't have an off switch and are bouncing off the walls with energy and are hard to control we're others tell me yes they have high energy but it can be controlled and they wouldn't call them hyper as such and tell me once they get their exercise both physical and mental exercise they do chill in the house. I don't mind a dog who is high energy as Theo my Golden is high energy he get around 2hrs a day of physical exercise normally 45min or 60min walk and then just over 1hr free running playing fetch at a nearby field and he gets loads of mental stimulation at home as well but Theo will settle once he's had his exercise he will settle in the house and is laid back in the house , how are boxers once they get their exercise both physically and mentally in the house do they settle and can they be chilled in the house?

2) Theo is a typical golden he is laid back and easy going about life and I've had some tell me a well bred , well socialized boxer is the same that they are easy going and laid back about life?

3) how easy to train are boxers? Some say their difficult or stupid ( I don't believe any dog is stupid) we're others say that once you know what your doing they are easy to train they just won't obey you like a Golden and will listen to you 50% of the time?

4) how are they will other dogs I've been told their are aggression issues in the breed and that they tend to be the ones who scrap with other dogs yet I know a boxer we see on our walk everyday and he's fabulous with other dogs but is owner said it's because he's from a good breeder and then they socialized him really well?

5) finally how barky is your boxer , I suffer migraines on a daily basis and excessive barking can make it more painful, Theo only barks when someone at the door or if he sees anything like a cat in his garden but otherwise never barks I've been told boxers are not a barky breed and only bark for a reason?

If anyone has any experience of both Golden's and boxers I'd love to here what the differences and any similarities between the 2 are.

Thank you in advance for any advice

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Funny, my last dog before my boxer was a golden.

Really its tough to say because we will be speaking in generalities, and each dog depending on breeding and training will have their own quirks. I will just give you my observations between both dogs. Both my golden and boxer picked things up extremely quick. My golden loved tennis balls(don't they all, lol) so he was much easier to proof things, because he wanted the reward of the tennis ball. My boxer took longer to proof certain aspects of training as he was not treat or toy driven. I find my boxer smarter than my golden was. I think people who claim boxers are dumb, or are hard to train, either didn't put in the effort to train, or don't have any idea how. Boxers are typically higher drive dogs so they will need plenty of exercise, both mental and physical. Boxers can have an off switch, but this will be something that needs to be trained. As for the aggression, i found my golden to be less tolerant of dogs compared to my boxer. My boxer will play with any aged dog, where as my golden didn't tolerate the antics of puppies. I do know female boxers once mature "can" have aggression issues towards other females. Doesn't mean its a definite but something to be aware of. As for barking or "talking", I'm not sure there is any definitive answer. Think that depends on the dog. My boxer is very quiet and only barks if someone comes to the door or if someone is on our property.

I would say the first thing is to find a breeder that is highly recommended. They can help with what you are planning to do with your pup. For instance we just added a rottweiler to our family. I wanted a high drive dog, but the gf didn't. lol. So we settled for middle of the road and explained what we wanted out of the pup and the breeder recommended one. The pup is exactly what the breeder said she would be. She has good drive but not to high where the gf might have a little trouble controlling her. I guess in a nut shell, all dogs are different, and the best place to start is with a good breeder who can match a dog for your type of lifestyle.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny, my last dog before my boxer was a golden.

Really its tough to say because we will be speaking in generalities, and each dog depending on breeding and training will have their own quirks. I will just give you my observations between both dogs. Both my golden and boxer picked things up extremely quick. My golden loved tennis balls(don't they all, lol) so he was much easier to proof things, because he wanted the reward of the tennis ball. My boxer took longer to proof certain aspects of training as he was not treat or toy driven. I find my boxer smarter than my golden was. I think people who claim boxers are dumb, or are hard to train, either didn't put in the effort to train, or don't have any idea how. Boxers are typically higher drive dogs so they will need plenty of exercise, both mental and physical. Boxers can have an off switch, but this will be something that needs to be trained. As for the aggression, i found my golden to be less tolerant of dogs compared to my boxer. My boxer will play with any aged dog, where as my golden didn't tolerate the antics of puppies. I do know female boxers once mature "can" have aggression issues towards other females. Doesn't mean its a definite but something to be aware of. As for barking or "talking", I'm not sure there is any definitive answer. Think that depends on the dog. My boxer is very quiet and only barks if someone comes to the door or if someone is on our property.

I would say the first thing is to find a breeder that is highly recommended. They can help with what you are planning to do with your pup. For instance we just added a rottweiler to our family. I wanted a high drive dog, but the gf didn't. lol. So we settled for middle of the road and explained what we wanted out of the pup and the breeder recommended one. The pup is exactly what the breeder said she would be. She has good drive but not to high where the gf might have a little trouble controlling her. I guess in a nut shell, all dogs are different, and the best place to start is with a good breeder who can match a dog for your type of lifestyle.

Thank you so much for your reply, that was really helpful.

You have owned all my favorite breeds Golden's, boxers and rotties , I'd love a rottie but Theo was attacked by one and their the only dog he's scared of I'm working on it though.

I once read rotties are the same energy like Golden's but like you say their all individuals

I'd never be without a Golden though I adore the breed and they own my heart the only other breed to make me that excited is the boxer

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply, that was really helpful.

You have owned all my favorite breeds Golden's, boxers and rotties , I'd love a rottie but Theo was attacked by one and their the only dog he's scared of I'm working on it though.

I once read rotties are the same energy like Golden's but like you say their all individuals

I'd never be without a Golden though I adore the breed and they own my heart the only other breed to make me that excited is the boxer
Yeah, my golden was amazing. I love so many breeds I tend not to stick with one. lol. Out of the different dogs I have owned though, the golden, boxer and rottie are easily the top 3. Just dont ask me to choose which one is 1st.:LOL:

Also one thing I forgot to add about the boxer. They will sometimes decide and think it over if a command you are giving is important enough to listen to. lol. They can be a tad stubborn sometimes.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Boxers are to me hands down the perfect dog. I started out training German Shepherds so I did have some training experience behind me when i got my first Boxer I was hooked! They do require activity what you do with your golden should be enough. Once I have taken my dogs out for their morning outing they are willing to chill the rest of the day they spend some time playing together but not crazy. I think they are the smartest dog I have encountered and very in tune with their owners they are great protectors as well. My advice if you are considering adding a dog is a female since your current dog is male. The female on female aggression is a very common thing but this usually only happens in house mate situation. I have a friend who has had two female boxers now one at a time of course and I have had both her dogs stay at my home with my current female at the time while she was away on vacation I never had a problem. My dogs only bark when someone pulls in front of the house and never in the car. I would suggest finding a good breeder that’s doing health testing if you do start your boxer search they are a little hyper in the beginning they do mellow out about two

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
"Difficult or stupid" LOL, you left out "Skinny and insipid!" Now I will say, that last description was from a Big Dawg Working Line GSD guy, and it was in reference to my favorite, the American Line Boxer. The AL Boxer is also known as "The Clown Prince of the World!" :)

A Dam Near, perfect Working Dog for most people, but near perfection does come at a cost? And that "cost," is usually, "Time and Patience." If you don't have a lot of both, then don't get a Boxer. But if you do? Then strap in for "Mr Toads Wild Ride." A Boxer, will make you smile with their antics. And they like to "pretend, that they have no clue what you are talking about, when training? And then one day, you will repeat the same command for the thousandth time and you can see the wheels' spin in their eyes? "Oh that is what he is babbling about?" And "Boom," instant compliance and from that day on ... they are a piece of cake!

My Struddell, (White Boxer) had an insane understanding of "Stay?" It meant to her "Freeze in motion?" Three feet on the ground and one foott in mid motion, in the air? Well she can't stay like that? So I added "Down," for her and that worked out fine. And I could control her in open desert off leash, "Bunny Chasing," with the word NO! If the Bunny ran towards the HWY ... I'd say NO! And she would stop, if the Bunny ran towards the Mountains .... I'd say OK, and it was game on! Now if you count in her mandated delay, she was never catch one? But she had fun trying. It was what we did. On the other hand on leash, anyone could "Walk," even a little old lady in a walker or a child she was that good. :)

But she was "my dog, so yeah." On the other hand and where I get to say "Training a Boxer," can be more of an "Art than a Science?" Is when I got to work with a couple of "not my dog Boxers."

And they were both serious "On Leash Puller's!" And I guess the "worst of which was "Deer Dog?" He was our friend's Boxer. And the day before I had him. Up in Virgina City NV, that had spent a couple hours "chasing him while he chased down Deer?"

They said "We casn't walk him on leash, he pull's and chases Deer?" And I said well OK let me try? I use a "Slip Lead Leash," (and well that is another art) but whatever. And we proceed on our walk. A few minior corrections at first of course and we our on our way, without issue. We walk through town and stop talk and explain, what is going?

And he tells me about the "Deer issue?" And while I am explaining to him, how the "Deer Issue," is gonna be tough to proof because you can't just summon, up random Deer? So maybe you will need a "Prong Collar, for when you see onet? And then I notice the leash has "No pressure on it all?"

WTH did I lose the dog? So I look down and the Dog is still there? We had stopped so he is not moving, but he is staring at something? And I follow his eyes and to my surprise about twenty yards' away there is not one Deer watching us but three! And the Dog never moved, that was epic!

And Boxer number two of not my Dog, was Tic Tac Toe at an adoption day event. Boxer Rescue event, and everyone swore he pulled like a "Freight Train!" So be careful. And of course I said ... OK.

So I get the Slip Lead Leash adjust it "properly," and we begin. Well of course he "tried," what he was used to doing. But this time, he was not moving? He tried again and got nowhere? At that point, he stopped, sat down and looked up at me? I looked down and said OK. And off we went, he was also a "Fear of People Boxer?" But that was not an issue for me. And we spent the day walking among hundreds of folks, without issue. And he never pulled.

And at the end of the day I handed the leash back to his regular handler and yep ... there he goes again, running off and dragging his handler behind him ... sigh. :(

So sure for me ... I could say that I find "Boxers," easy to train? But I don't think that is most people's experience? One of my favorite quotes is from a "Book," from a Trainer of LE K9's, and he said "I can train "Three WL GSD's," in the same amount of time it takes me to train "One Boxer!" LOL yeah I get it, but for those guy's "Time Is Money!" And they don't have time for well .. "Goofy?" But hey "pet people," aren't on a clock; so I say whatever, I got time. Just saying "Easy or Hard," to train depends on who you talk to.

Oh the GSD talk is just a point of reference, no way is that a "recommendation!" I luv'd mine and he was a great dog, but I would "Not Recommend them for most people." Just to be clear. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have always had Boxers and Goldens together. You can see by the pictures of our previous pair and the current one that they love each other. Boxers are definitely busier than Goldens during the day and love to keep busy. We are doing Nosework with the Boxer now and she excels at this. She also did beginner agility and obedience classes so I can say that they are smart dogs. If you are used to your Golden Retriever's quick learning and response, it might take a little getting used to the Boxer's way of learning. She does take more repetitions, but once she learns something, she retains it. Just like most dogs, they learn to learn.

Boxers also love to play hard and our goldens love it. They can really wear each other out during the day so that's a plus. I would say that if your Golden isn't a barker, then the new Boxer puppy would not be either. My current Golden boy isn't a barker, so the Boxer girl is quiet unless the squirrels come close to the yard :)

I would suggest you get a Boxer girl to go with your boy. It worked out beautifully for us. Also, find a super quality breeder of Boxers. We traveled from the Midwest to Canada to find our girl. In fact, our wonderful breeder is the moderator on this site....Kaco !!
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Mammal
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Fawn

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your advice after a lot of careful thinking I've chosen to get another golden, I love boxers but I feel I'm not right for them and goldens are the best breed for me and you have all helped me realize this.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
LOL, well perhaps we did too good a job of laying out the reality of Boxerdom? But yeah a "Boxer vs a Golden?" That is a Apple to Oranges comparison? A Boxer is a "Working Dog, and a "Golden is a "Sporting Breed." Different classes and while there is some "overlap," in the job's they can do. And while there is no question that a "Boxer," can do many of the "Job's a lot can do." Not counting actual "Bird Dog stuff." Where you would have "weather (cold) and water." Boxers can do the "Service Dog and Seeing Eye dog, thing."

The thing is those type of "Boxers," are extremely rare? I have seen one "Seeing Eye Boxer," on TV more than a decade ago. And about fell on the floor! And in real life I did see one actual "Service Dog Boxer?" And that was years ago. I wanted to ask questions? But the people were leaving and I did want to get in the way. But that "Boxer," was most certainly calm around people. So she stood out. But for the most part you don't see a lot of "Boxer's" out there doing those job's?

And I would "speculate," that the reason is because "Boxer's," are just to "time consuming," for folk's that "Need," to get a "Dog Trained Now?" A "Golden," is much easier to train a Boxer ... not so much?

Getting thur the well, "BS," stage takes more time with a "Boxer." And how long it takes depends on the individual owner. Most "Boxer owners tend to think, that is the "Fun Part?" So it's kinda built in. And among "Working Dog's," and expically with "Kid's" a "Boxer's," is a "Safe Choice," among the "Working Dog," for the most part. :)

But yes, no doubt that a "Golden," would be a much easier dog to train? I don't think that could be disputed? But hey we "Luv, them. One might have to put up with "Silly and goofy<" till you figure out what work's? But lot's of us willing to do just that? A lot of folk's have a lot of time on there hands I guess?

Anyway, glad we helped and if when you get your Golden, you'd still be welcomed here. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts