Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my jimmy is 2years old and is very aggresive towards people that come any were near me or my children he was allways brilliant around people i would take him with me walking the kids to school he was well socialized  it wasnt untill he had an eye inffection we tookhim to the vet he gave a growl so the vet asked me to muzzle him he was then sick and really distressed and the vet was not very nice she said you will have to get him out of that one dayi met a pal from my school days who i had not seen for years he went to pat him jimmy then snapped at him and from then he changed when in the house if anyone came in he was going for them if he is out in the garden i have to be with him anyone comes over to him even children he snaps ive watched all dog programs boxerdog books i watch the dog whisperer with ceaser milan i love him wish he would come to scotland i have got to the stage i dont want to walk him because he just making sure no one comes near me guarding i even had him neutered to see if it would calm him down all he is interested in is our family the thing is people want to pet him because he is so cute but cant i feel so sorry for him that he cant get all the hugs and kisses from everyone  like he deserves i would appreciate any constructive advice from all boxer lovers

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/aggres1.html

Some good articles on the above link on how to control and correct Canine Aggression.  Best IMO if you want Jimmy to break this behavior is to hire a trained professional.   Best work work with someone who has experience, esp with a dog that is aggressive.  Good Luck and hope Jimmy calms down a bit:)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
This really sounds like dominance aggression to me. This usually starts anywhere from 18-24 months of age, and while intact dogs have a higher tendency towards aggression, neutering will not solve the problem once it has started.
It sounds like Jimmy is not content with you being in charge, and he is trying to control the different situations that arise with his reaction, rather than letting you take charge.
You need to teach Jimmy a more appropriate behavior in place of his aggression.
First thing you need to do is speak to your vet to rule out any health issues that may be the underlying cause of the aggression. Have a thorough physical exam and I would also recommend having a thyroid test done as well. If there is nothing medically wrong that is causing Jimmy

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I agree with Heather & Lisa, it is better to contact a professional rather than do something incorrectly and make the problem worse.  Hope things work out well for you and jimmy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts