Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get boxer to get along with kitten. My boxer is a male 3 1/2 years old Kittten is 4 months. We have been taking it slow for 2 weeks Bringing them near each other with leash on boxer. He is great with commands but seems very tense with the kitten. Anyone have any suggestions My vet said to take it slow which we are. Thx

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Two week's with a "Kitten?" Is about 13 days too long? A kitten, is certainly a non threat to a dog! I was a Cat guy long before I became a Dog Guy. I had about 13 cat's before I ever got my first puppy. Cat's are cat's and I can't train cat's? Some cat's like dog's and some cat's do not like? But they all knew how to get alone.

In cat and dog relationships ... there is only one rule ... "The Dog Never Chases, The Cat/Kitten!" That is it! The Dog never takes ... one step forward toward the Cat, period any of story! If the cat kitten want's to play with the Dog? That is fine. But as soon as the cat/kitten disengages ... that is it!

A true Cat/Dog ... will "freeze and let a Cat pass," if they meet in a hallway or better still, the "Dog will," lay down and let the cat pass! I have rescued APBT off the street and it takes "Me," about 24 hours of tethering, them to me to ... "Convince," them that they do not want to screw with my Cat's!

The cat's never had to change there lives in anyway and the dog, had to learn to deal with it! As long as the dog did not like an A$$, it was all good! The cat's could approach the dog if they chose too? Or walk away if they choose to dog's get that.

Let the "Kitten Decide," the relationship. If she/he chooses to approach the dog? That is fine. If the kitten walks away ... then that is the end of the engagement! If the dog is on a leash and want's to follow ... you "Correct Him!" No means No! That is it!

The dog knows the kitten is there, the kitten knows the dog is there. You don't need to track the kitten? If that is what you are doing? You just need to keep a leash on the dog and uh sit! That is it.

But this guy is the "Cat Guy." And he knows Cat's but not necessarily dogs? So he will spend a lot more time with treats and distractions with the dog, uh whatever. Not my style.

And I'll just say ... he would know! But he does not do dog's, he does Cat's! But I don't play with Cat v Dog crap! That can be life or death! I rescue Cat's and Dog's! And my dog(s) will not harass a cat I bring home! Or if they "Try," they will only try it "Once!"

But a dog harassing a Kitten?? That is "BS!" That is not a "Two Week, issue? It's just not! It is something you are doing? But I don't know what it is exactly?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
When you see the dog doing the “ lock stare down” on the kitten you should say forcefully NO and redirect his attention I would keep them separate for a bit where they can smell each other and like the Vet says go slowly. When the dog is nice with the kitty ie wagging his tail or just sniffing the cat it’s good boy time. Hold the cat in his presence soon enough he will become bored with the whole subject right now it’s new. You will have to supervise closely when the kitty goes to run and play like kittens do he may be inspired to chase some dogs have higher prey drives than others I would continue for a long time to put the kitten in a secure place when you leave the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts