Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
This makes me more sad than angry. I mean I dont know if I would have done what she did because I dont personally own a gun but honestly what would you have done in that situation? I mean it was her child, so I can understand. I am just really surprised that it was a boxer.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That was totally unnecessary. They were already safe inside the house. She could have just called animal control to come get it.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Yes, when you read and analyze the situation I think it was completely unnecessary to go back with a gun and kill the dog after the kids are out of harm's way. She may have reacted out of anger. We all know how rough our Boxers play and that playfulness can easily be perceived as aggression. Imagine your Boxer getting overly enthusiastic and niping/ mouthing playfully at a 6 yr old. Then that 6 yr old freaks out and starts to cry only to excite your boxer further. I can see how this could have escalated to such a tragic ending.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i would put my own dog down if he was attacking a child and i couldn't stop him otherwise! i love my dog. i do. but i also have a small boy. if my dog ever became viscous with my son, i'd put him down--no doubt, no hesitation.

that said, i'm going to do everything in my knowledge and power so that my dog is not aggressive. especially towards family members.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I agree the attack was over!!! Even if this were two human beings in a fight, I don't think self-defense would fly! The attack had ceased and was at an end. She was in the freakin house and safe! Close your door, call the police to get the dog. Just another reason I hate guns...

AND this was not THEIR DOG!! The mom got the kids in the house, tried to scare the dog off -- it lunged at her. Hmm, lunged or jumped as ALL BOXERS DO???? Then she goes in the house, gets the gun and goes back out to shoot it! I still don't care. The threat of harm is OVER!! OVER!! OVER!!! She should have kept her ass in the house. Once again, if it were another kid beating up on her kid, could she go out and shoot ??? I don't think so.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I understand where the girls mom is coming from. yes, it is very sad that an animal lost its life because of it, however, when it comes to the health and welfare of a human child over a dog's, the human is going to win that battle.

When i was 2 years old i was attacked by a dog. obviously this is 26 years ago, but stories from both parents and the owner of said dog told me the attack was unprovoked. the dog got bit down on my cheek just below my eye and through my upper lip. i was not the first kid the dog bit, and when they got the dog off me, my dad took it in back and shot it... it was a cocker spaniel. luckly it didnt take my eye, and the scars are almost non existent, but it could have been worse.

being a parent myself, the protection of my daughter is above anyone or anything elses life... she is the one thing i will kill for if it means keeping her safe.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I agree that if in the middle of a vicious attack if the mom came out and shot it, BUT her kids were safe in the house and the mom went in the house. THREAT OVER. This would never hold up as some sort of self-defense of her kids, sorry. You can only act in self-defense if your life is actively in danger.

And... before I was born, my parents had a dog who attacked my dad in the yard when he came home from work. My dad was a police officer and did have to shoot the dog to stop it from attacking him -- he was being attacked at the time -- he didn't go in the house and come back out and shoot the dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very sad. The Lady had no right shooting the boxer after her children were safe. Animal control should fine her for inhumanly killing an animal, and the police should fine her for firing the firearm. She shot the dog in anger not to protect anyone. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
im sorry to have to disagree with those who think the woman is wrong, but until you experience it and feel what she was feeling, who are we to pass judgment on her emotions of possibly losing her child. whether the dog was killed in anger or fear, WE do not know so we can only show empathy for what she just went through with her daughter being attacked.

put your personal emotions of the fact that the dog was a boxer, and ask if you would be singing the same tune if it was a GSD, pit bull, rotty, or doberman. Id be willing to bet this wouldnt even be a discussion if it was. yes boxers are usually known to be kind, gentle family dogs, but as almost every animal show about dog says, every dog is an individual, and may not conform to breed standards and temperament.

·
Registered
8 Posts
im sorry to have to disagree with those who think the woman is wrong, but until you experience it and feel what she was feeling, who are we to pass judgment on her emotions of possibly losing her child. whether the dog was killed in anger or fear, WE do not know so we can only show empathy for what she just went through with her daughter being attacked.

put your personal emotions of the fact that the dog was a boxer, and ask if you would be singing the same tune if it was a GSD, pit bull, rotty, or doberman. Id be willing to bet this wouldnt even be a discussion if it was. yes boxers are usually known to be kind, gentle family dogs, but as almost every animal show about dog says, every dog is an individual, and may not conform to breed standards and temperament.
I do agree with you. I for one know the feelings of both sides. I have seen a child that I loved very much being attacked by a dog. The dog was put down by the proper authorities in the proper way. I have also lost a dog by the hands of an unstable man who thought it would be fun to shoot my girl. He was find $100 for her death. Not enough if you ask me but what can you do.
I feel that if she got all her children back into the house the proper agency should have been called. She decided to take things one step further. Going upstairs unlocking her safe, going to the door to check if the dog was still at her door. Then shooting it. Premeditated with anger taking over her actions. No different then the guy that shot my dog. Sorry but that's how I feel and she should be held liable for the death of the dog ( Boxer or not ).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
We can agree to disagree; however, under the law, you cannot use deadly force when a threat of death or imminent danger is over, period. If she was able to go in the house and retrieve the gun, this is not justifiable. And, IMO, this would hold true for any breed. I am an animal lover, not just Boxer lover, I love all dogs.

You can't just disregard the law because of a prior attack. Even if it were a sudden heat situation, she'd still be guilty of voluntary manslaughter.

What is California Self-defense Law?

According to California law, you act in lawful self-defense if you:

1. reasonably believe that you are in imminent danger of being killed, seriously injured, or unlawfully touched,
  2. believe that immediate force is necessary to prevent that danger, and
  3. use no more force than necessary to defend against that danger.1
California self-defense law justifies your injuring (or even killing) another person if these conditions are satisfied. This means that if these requirements are met, self-defense can serve as a complete defense to a California violent crime if you are forced to kill or injure another.
It should be noted that California self-defense law not only protects you against attacks from people, but also from animals. If you defend yourself against imminent danger coming from a dog attack, for example, any reasonable measures you take to protect yourself will be excused.2
If only some of these requirements are met, you may still be able to reduce your criminal liability under the theory of imperfect self-defense (which is discussed in the following section).

Imminent danger

As previously stated, before you can prevail under a self-defense theory, you must prove that another was about to kill, seriously injure, or unlawfully touch you.5 A threat of future harm (regardless of how significant the harm may be) will not suffice, as the danger must be immediate.6
Likewise, prior threats are not sufficient to give rise to this defense if they are not coupled with an overt act demonstrating an immediate intention of executing the threat.7 And on that note, the threat must be of an unlawful nature...a threat of a lawful arrest, for example, will not excuse an attack as self-defense.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i realize, this being a dog lovers' forum, that there will be many points of view. what one will or will not do in this situation is difficult to determine. we have the benefit of hindsight and we did not witness the attack.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i dont want everyone to think I'm an insensitive bastard because im not. I am an animal lover, ive had dogs my entire life, and would absolutely be devastated if any of my dogs attacked someone else or were attacked. I will however, as previously stated, but the health, safety and welfare of my daughter above EVERYTHING else, including my own life if need be.... however, i think my view on this particular issue has changed a bit...

After watching the video, this really doesn't sound like an attack at all... if the dog is a boxer, just given her description of the events that took place... it sounds like boxer play time. Leo stands over the kids if theyre on the ground, he will grab shirts, he will knock kids over (given his weight to the one he does it to most). All of the things he does are instigated by the kids, which im trying to break them from doing, but im finding getting them to listen is harder than training a puppy!

i think if this were a true attack by a "vicious killer dog", just her "reliving" the experience would cause her to show more emotion than she did. she seemed really content with the situation, and maybe even had it out for the dog that was shot. maybe it was a neighbors dog who would get out of the yard, and given the boxers nature, played a little rougher than she liked. a previous grudge and a convenient "attack" could give her an excuse to take care of it.... sad, but there really are sadistic ass holes out there like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mezzio no one thinks you're an IB. We all have our own views and life experiences that bring us to our conclusions. My conclusion is that Jennifer Cooper stepped out of bounds. A life lesson that I learned with the loss of my female Lab people can not be trusted. My hounds are always leashed and never left unattended. The loss of an animal by the hands of an other human is not anything I want anyone to experience.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm sure some will not like my point of view but I have no problem with the lady shooting the dog that attacked her child.
I love my dogs but I would (and have) shot my own dog for attacking someone.
Long story short, the last rotty I had (years ago) bit my girlfriend (now wife) in the face - 200 stitches. I shot the dog and have no regret about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bte if my hounds bit someone to that extent, or unprovoked attack. I would also put them down. I'm sorry you and your wife had to go through that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts