Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure about this.

Is it normal for her to be breathing this hard sitting next to us? I've never seen here breathe hard before.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I've noticed they breathe really heavy when sleepy or really relaxed.  Breathing can be all over the place when they are actually asleep (from very rapid to very loud), but when they are either coming out or going into a sleepy state, I've noticed very loud heavy breathing.  It's almost like a purring really.  So I would take note and see if this is when it occurs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Then probably heavy sleeping, dreaming, or something along those lines if asleep.  Maybe nerves if awake.  Any loud noises?  And is it a panting or just heavy breathing.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It could be that your boxer is just breathing heavy with no real reason why....If it is real deep chest breathing like it is not getting enough air in then that can sometimes be cause for concern.  Since it just started I would say keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or you see a pattern then I would get it checked out. There are almost to many medical reasons to list that can affect the breathing and without knowing alot of history it would be hard to pin point the reason.

My first thought would be if your girl is over a year, has she been on a heartworm preventative?  They will breath heavy and pant when they are in pain, has she been injuried or hurt in anyway that you know, also they can do the same with issues of the heart, liver, lungs and kidneys all the way down to a common cold or just because.....

I would keep an eye on it!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Isis does that...its always when shes chillin on the couch with us..she hasnt been running around or anything...its when shes chillin getting ready to fall into a deep sleep..and its not all the time..we got nervous and had her 'everything' checked lol..she was fine...our vet has 2 labs and a boxer so it works out well...

:roll: would work out better if he was AT work more than at home though....lol..

id jsut go with what Sharon said... :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Isis does that...its always when shes chillin on the couch with us..she hasnt been running around or anything...its when shes chillin getting ready to fall into a deep sleep..and its not all the time..we got nervous and had her 'everything' checked lol..she was fine...our vet has 2 labs and a boxer so it works out well...

:roll: would work out better if he was AT work more than at home though....lol..

id jsut go with what Sharon said... :D
This was a good post to read because my boxer Jibbs has been doing this. I was watching a movie with him on the coutch with his head resting on my leg and he was in a deep breathing/panting cycle without any prior exercise. It gave me cause for concern due to how loud and strong it was. He doesn't always do this either. So I hope it's just a boxer (short nose) thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts