Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother sent me this photo this morning. A souvenir of his last stay 8O . Voltaire does the dreaded claw scrape down the thigh thing and as you can see not only does he draw blood but he does it SO hard the bruising's pretty bad too. I'm sure he doesn't realize he's hurting when he does this :roll:  - but 'Yikes!!!' is it painful. How do i stop him being so brutal when he's playing?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Ouch! That pic made me cringe...I have a weak stomach LOL...I unfortunately have no tips on rough play, but I'm sure many will. That silly Voltaire!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel gets that way as well at times, not so much with me tho, cos I generally stop her, but she's broken skin a few times with Marq...Buck & Tia used to play very rough with my ex, he constantly had bruises scratches, you name it, but always in play, so it depends on how far you want to allow them to go really...You can teach them when to stop, just like teaching a puppy not to nip at you....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I was having a similar problem and when Ringer came back from his denutting and the vet did a complimentary nail trim, the scratches went away.  They dremeled his nails super short.  Now if I only had some general anesthesia  on hand I could do the same thing.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha Eimear :lol: ! Poor bro! If he finds out i'm posting his hairy thighs for comment on this forum he'll be so embarrassed!
As for nail trimming - Voltaire is a complete and utter wuss when it comes to nail that - he cries like a baby  :cry:  and tries to gnaw at my hands to stop me from snipping :roll: . He's so pitiful i just can't do it anymore - i take him jogging with me on roads to wear the claws down naturally, but even short they scratch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
lol.....I have to convince the folks at my wife's work that it is the dogs beating her up and NOT ME!!!  lol......a 97 lb. boxer wanting to play can be a real force to be reckoned with!!!    :!:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adults are usually ok - i tell people to ignore him if they want to be left alone and that works. People just don't realize a boxer doesn't play like a labrador. Chasing a ball's ok but a boxer likes to wrestle best. Maybe i should buy one of those outfits they wear to train police dogs to attack :wink: and only let him play with the person wearing it. Kids coming to my house always scare me to death! They run and scream and that's like a red rag to a bull. I usually shut him in another room just in case.
I got head-butted by Voltaire a couple of weeks ago and had a HUGE lip - all red and swollen for a few days - but i should know better :roll: I'm sure people thought i got a good slap from hubby 8O !

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ouch!  That does look very painful!   Our Ziggi uses his BIG paw to slap you when he needs to go out, when he wants a treat, etc.  He has also caused alot of damage to the skin and we know he isn't trying to, he just wants to let us know he needs something!  8O

The worst scratch we had was when Berkeley was playing on the floor with our son (then 2-3) and she accidently scratched him down the face, we were VERY lucky he shut his eye in time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I work in a nursing home and take both my boxers with me so I had to teach them very quickly not to jump on anyone.  When I took my male to dog classes the trainer had me give him a few knees to the chest when he jumped up on me and that solved that.  But I had to also make sure that my family members stopped the rough play with him also so not to confuse him.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Whenever I want to initiate play I use the word playtime and Ekim is allowed to jump and play a little rough, when I have had enough of his roughness I say the word DONE. Ekim immediately stops playing and sits. So whenever I want him to stop any type of roughness all I say is done, he knows that he is not allowed to be a hellion unless I say playtime. It is even working when he gets a little to frisky with Delila.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts