Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Boxer

Hi everyone. I've joined the forum for some help with my 7 year old boxer boy, Crew. Crew has been through a lot medically- he has inflammatory bowel disease that flares up pretty often; presenting as vomiting and bloody stools. We have tried everything; every lab/test, we have seen multiple vets including emergency and internal medicine. The best option we have during a bad flare up is a long course of antibiotics, steroids, probiotics, and anti-nausea meds. We also have him on Royal Canin ultamino. He still vomits pretty regularly although when it's not a flare up, he usually bounces back quickly.

I've included a picture of Crew with hives. Every year around this time (May and June) he gets these hives that also seem to correlate with more vomiting. I am not sure if this is something environmental (we are in Southern California) but if anyone is familiar and has advice I will gladly take it. I was thinking it may be a plant in our yard? But it would be so difficult to pinpoint which one as most plants are listed as toxic for dogs. He only tries to eat grass/plants when he is really nauseated so I don't think that is the cause. I apologize for rambling; it has just been such a long health journey with our sweet boy.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Those hives can be caused by multiple things from antibiotics to plants to mold, I am thinking since it happens sporadically its environmental. I have used cytopoint injections for my dog who also gets seasonal hives usually works for her apaquel made her nauseated and diahrea so that didn’t work benedryl didn’t help either. My female had bowel inflammation and bleeding when she was younger we used Baytril for it like two courses and it was gone. I feel for you I know how frustrating this must be

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm so sorry look at that, looks uncomfortable. I assume you have tried allergy meds like Zytrec? My boy is 70lbs at takes 3 per day of this one. Claritin dosage was different so this is the Zyrtec dosage his vet recommended. I had a boxer, rest his sweet soul, that would get these bumps when I used Febreze around the house. Could it be anything like that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 137270
Hi everyone. I've joined the forum for some help with my 7 year old boxer boy, Crew. Crew has been through a lot medically- he has inflammatory bowel disease that flares up pretty often; presenting as vomiting and bloody stools. We have tried everything; every lab/test, we have seen multiple vets including emergency and internal medicine. The best option we have during a bad flare up is a long course of antibiotics, steroids, probiotics, and anti-nausea meds. We also have him on Royal Canin ultamino. He still vomits pretty regularly although when it's not a flare up, he usually bounces back quickly.

I've included a picture of Crew with hives. Every year around this time (May and June) he gets these hives that also seem to correlate with more vomiting. I am not sure if this is something environmental (we are in Southern California) but if anyone is familiar and has advice I will gladly take it. I was thinking it may be a plant in our yard? But it would be so difficult to pinpoint which one as most plants are listed as toxic for dogs. He only tries to eat grass/plants when he is really nauseated so I don't think that is the cause. I apologize for rambling; it has just been such a long health journey with our sweet boy.
Those meds are possibly making his IBS worse by diminishing or destroying thiamine in addition to magnesium. Magnesium is needed to activate thiamine. Foods he is fed seldom have adequate thiamine or magnesium but often contain anti thiamine factors. Search on "stuttersence anti thiamine factors" for a comprehensive list. Also search on "IBS thiamine" for more information. In addition, search on "thiamine and the vegas nerve". Do it for the brain as well. The B vitamins work better together.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
We ended up having a veterinary, board-certified nutritionist formulate a diet using BalanceIt supplement. The supplement is vegan, no animal product that may cause an immune reaction. When we started the diet the vet gave us some low-dose prednisone to give because biopsies showed eosinophilic enteritis among other things. He was reacting to manufactured dog foods, and this worked. He went off the prednisone, and stopped having flares. The only time our dog got welts was when they suspected he reacted to bug or spider bite. It was a severe reaction, but was reversed when he had the right dose of benadryl.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My boxer Vinny, 7 also, gets those bumps around this time of year too. I had plug-ins and was told they can cause a reaction too. He is on a raw diet that I supplement with cooked veggies, sardines, and fish, chicken and rice. I go to a butcher that specializes in raw dog food. They do have very sensitive stomachs. If you can stop with any treats, (they don't really need them) and get his food exactly the same, he should be okay. Dry dog food is terrible for them. I did what you did in the beginning with my first boxer "Joe". He finally went on a raw diet and his coat was beautiful. He lived to 11, my second boxer was a runt, "Roxy" and had a slow growing cancer, lived to 12 and I'm hoping Vinny goes a long way too. Good Luck!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts