Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an up date on mt 11 year old (on Oct 31st) boy, Bronson. About 3 weeks ago we rushed to NC State Vet School/ER. Over 24 Hrs he passed out twice and our local vet said his blood was okay but severe arrhythmia.

NC state said he was very ill and could pass at any minute. Through IV they gave him a drug to control the hear beat and 2 others, one Lasix to remove fluid and an other to manage his heart muscles.

Well it is now 3 weeks later and he is doing great. We know he cannot be "cured" but he has lost 13 water lbs, his appetite is back and he is close to his old self. Can jump on to our high bed, begs for a walk.

His first check up since the first visit was Wed and the doctors were amazed. Most fluid in lungs were gone an they said see you in 3 months. The meds are a pain, 3 times a day and quite expensive but the old geezsr is worth every penny.

If we had listend to our local vet, he would be gone. and as long as he is no distress/pain/and is alert. We are good and we have a new vet

Russell

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
That is fantastic news! Enjoy every second and know you did everything right. Wishing you continued good times with Bronson :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Great news! Wishing you & Bronson continued happy times together :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. He loves walks and he went to the mailbox today with our 1 year old female boxer, Annabelle, better know as "NO NO BAD DOG"

Russell

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it is 3 months now on the 3 meds and his is fairly stable. Peeing about once every hour or so and the cost of the med's (around $400 a month might cause my wife to finally get some work) but other than that, all good.
The Dr's at NC State seem surprised he is doing so well. Not sure what is next but they are close to 4 hours away so an exam at around $600 may not be for us. But we will see.

Oh, i spoke with some people at NC state and they would like his body when that happens. I have agreed to donate my wonderful boy's body for research on his condition. Hopefully he can keep on giving.

russell

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well it is 3 months now on the 3 meds and his is fairly stable. Peeing about once every hour or so and the cost of the med's (around $400 a month might cause my wife to finally get some work) but other than that, all good.
The Dr's at NC State seem surprised he is doing so well. Not sure what is next but they are close to 4 hours away so an exam at around $600 may not be for us. But we will see.

Oh, i spoke with some people at NC state and they would like his body when that happens. I have agreed to donate my wonderful boy's body for research on his condition. Hopefully he can keep on giving.

russell
Thats is very generous of you. Best of luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks but I am 72 and have had many experiences with vet's. Most are good, some okay but none come even close to NC State Vet School/Hospital. So it is the least I can do to give back. Now hit the lottery, there will be a wing named for my special boy, Bronson.

Russell

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally I had to euthanize my beloved Bronson. He started to lose strength in his rear legs. Needed to go out at least every 2 hours and having tremors that would last 5 or so minutes. Final question for us was were we keeping him alive for him or us. Even though he had very good moments most were not. Our vet said his fluid was building up even with 2 lasix a day.

thank God we bought the pup 13 months ago. It does ease the sadness.

Russell

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Russell, I am so sorry for your loss of Bronson but what wonderful boxer parents you and your wife are. He had a good life and you had to make the best decision for him. Run free Bronson...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts