Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Boxer Lovers!

We've had Bodhi since August 2006, we got him at 8 weeks from a breeder!  He's an 81# big boy, neutered.  We recently adopted Astrid from a Boxer rescue, she's spayed and about 60#.

The problem,  they play rough, as Boxers do... Boxing, wrestling, chasing... Well, Astrid like to chomp on Bodhi's face, his lower cheeks on his muzzle.  Every once and awhile he'd yelp then she'd stop. I asked the rescue and she said if Bodhi keeps coming back for more play, then all is good.  She said Boxers have a high pain toleranc and even tho it may look harsh to us people folk, to him it's nothing.

The thing is, he never tells her 'no'. He'll yelp, she'll stop... It's all the intermittant chomps that added up to his facial boo boos.

Well his cheeks scabbed up, they continue to rough house, we now direct the face biting with a 'gentle' command.  Well this morning after a good romp in the yard after a fresh rain one of Bodhi's cheeks is raw....like road rash... fur gone, just 'ouch'...

Questions:

A)  What should we do to care for his face?  Ointment, etc...?

B)  Should we do anything like peroxide or bactine to clean it?

B)  What should we do to have her stop biting his face?  (someone told us bitter apple will that hurt him?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
A)  Neosporin...

B)  I use J&J Baby Body wash to wash Lilly's faceorclean cuts, briken zits on her face/chin.

Advice from a Professional Dog Trainer:

C)  Give her a firm no!  Bitter Apple may work, may not.  Keep in mindif you put it on his face, he may taste it and whatever backlash that could come from that.  Much like what the rescue said, it will be somewhat difficult for YOU to control the behavior (are you gonna watch her every second of every day?).  If your male isn't bothered by it and isnt' working to correct it himself then I wouldn't worry too much.  Stock up on the Neosporin and soap.

I do recommend you start obedience training with your new addition.  Honestly, you should do it with both your dogs.  It will increase your bond and trust in each other, establish you as their leader, and....You'll have a BLAST!!!

You don't need to hire a trainer if you don't want to!!  In my professional opinion, anyone can train their own dog.  The only time anyone really needsto hire a trainer is when they're uncertain/ low confidence or they are dealing with behavioral issues that require a professional touch.

Hope this helped.  If not, ping me with another question (or the same one).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and Thank you!

Yes a requirement of the adoption was that we take a 6 week course of training which will be GREAT!  I found a trainer that does group sessions 2 for 1 so we'll actually have both dogs there.

It is just driving me crazy that Bodhi is not telling her to stop!  They have so much fun playing which is a riot I might add - until Bobo gets pulled on!

I appreciate the advice, I joined this forum back when we got Bodhi, somewhere around here I have his pic posted as a puppy.  I rejoined today as I did not know my old logon info.  

I hope to be around here more with 2 of the beasties!  I work at home and is is such a pleasure to be home with the fur balls all day!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
LOL

BTW---Welcome back!!!

If the class training doesn't work, let me know and I can refer you to someone who will do in-home training (sometimesis better with Boxers). They are a blast and so long as you keep THEIR training fun...you shouldn't have any trouble.

Pix please!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome back! I vaguely remember the name..So I guess we need some updated pics of Bodhi and also some of Astrid....

Sounds to me that Bodhi is a very laid back guy, kinda like my Samson, he lets Angel pick on him relentlessly, but when he's had enuf, one snarl and she knows to back off...As long as it doesn't really bother him, like Liz said, I wouldn't worry....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts