Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old boxer that i really enjoy. I think that boxers have the best temperament and demeanor they are excellent dogs. However i am an outdoorsman and I enjoy hiking and backpacking unfortunately I find that I have to leave my boxer at home a lot due to his temperature sensitivity. So my question is what is the ideal boxer cross that would provide boxer temperament in a body that is less fragile. Also my boxer is fixed and i will not be participating in any breeding activities im just curious is all.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well this is certainly an interesting question?? :)

And you are correct generally speaking Brachycephalic , breed's don't do well in heat! But there are sometimes ... exceptions?? On here ... and now I guess it was many years ago ... sigh.

In America ... there were "two!" And "both" were American Line Boxer's. One was a "Hog Hunt Boxer," in Louisiana and that one did the "Hog Hunt," thing in the summer!!! And the other ... "I don't care about heat Boxer??" Was well my Struddell! And well she never did anything as "Life Threatening" as "Hog Catching!! She did chase Jack Rabbit's in the high desert of NV in 90 degree heat!!

It's just what she did?? And if a Jack Rabbit can hit 35 mph, ... Struddell could hit 33 mph! She could never catch one ... but she could always get uncomfortably close to them on the straight?? That ticked them off! So they would "always" cut hard to right into the brush and the come back out and go sailing down the straight ... "Boxer Free!"

Struddell would track them like a guided missile into the brush ... "everytime!" And apparently switch from sight to scent??? I would watch the JR sail off into the sun and Struddell would circle around in the brush trying to pick up the scent??? LOL ... she never caught one but watching her try was great fun! And she was just never quit! I had to decide when enough was enough?? And this was done at pretty much high noon in 90 + temp's! It was just something she did ... and I never thought about it at time?? But yeah in retro spec ... not a good idea and not to common??

But yeah ... under those conditions ... she most certainly would have beat down a Stubby Faced Euro Boxer ... under those conditions, no doubt!

But that much said and to answer your question. You don't need to look for some rare exceptional combo of Boxer and "whatever??" They are already out there! Sigh not really my plan but I have one ... again. Boxer pit mix.

Sigh ... they pretty much seem to "double down," on the Boxer crazy?? They luv people but they will charge at them with "Gusto!!" How my Bella has not scared the "Hell" out of people?? I don't quite understand?? I tend to see that charging crap and have "Flash Back's" to my "Working Line GSD!!" But on the rare occasions that happen's ... people just laugh and bend down to greet her???

But that aside ... with a Boxer/Pit you will see a Dog that is not as short and stout as a Purebred APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier) but not quite as tall and lean as a Boxer either. They are pretty much right in the middle! And they are not Brachycephalic , so temp's don't matter! On the other hand ... you have to deal with a lot of more of the ... seriously "Terrier Pigged Headed crap!!!" I have to be "extremely careful," with Bella!! I try to go places where I won't find Jack Rabbit's! Cuz on Open Desert ... sigh right now ...if she spotted a Jack Rabbit??? She's be freaking gone!! Stupid Dog ...but I'm working on it. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I trail walk with my dogs all the time we are much more active all winter though than the 3 months of summer where it gets really hot here I usually start walking at daybreak on those days when its light enough to see and we are back in before it gets really hot. I don't take them out in the middle of the day though and when we are out and its warm its important to bring water for them. All winter and cooler months though we are out a lot they love the cold they are mostly Euro lines and their hair is a little longer. I think it all depends on where you hike and for how long.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Ah well it depends on the dog ... apparently?? Only mu Struddell and Hog Catch Dog, ... seemed to have no issues with heat?? 90 degree * temps did not bother her at all?? And I would have to decide when it was time to quit, because she would not stop! See a Bunny chase a Bunny ... was how she rolled. :)

But she did not high wind's and was not that thrilled with rain either?? Rocky my "Working Line GSD," was a bit different?? All weather dog, he did not care ... he was fun! We would go for walks' in the worst weather imaginable! High winds, blinding rains and below zero temp's! He did not care! If I could go out there ... so could he! In serious cold temp's I would take Struddell out for twenty minutes or so?? Cold or snow she did not mind. But you know she had pretty much nothing for fur?? But my GSD ... LOL he just did not care?? Heat or Cold he was ready to go. And in worst of the winter storms ... we never had to worry about loose dog encounters!! Cuz no man or dog ...would be out there under those conditions!! He was an awesome dog, I miss him every day ....

The heat won't bother Bella (Boxer/Pit) but she does not have much of a winter coat either?? So I do put a coat on her if it's seriously cold! And she seems to be good with that?? But I don't take her out if it's below zero?? Boxer's and Boxer/Pit's are "not," all weather dog's as it were! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I trail walk with my dogs all the time we are much more active all winter though than the 3 months of summer where it gets really hot here I usually start walking at daybreak on those days when its light enough to see and we are back in before it gets really hot. I don't take them out in the middle of the day though and when we are out and its warm its important to bring water for them. All winter and cooler months though we are out a lot they love the cold they are mostly Euro lines and their hair is a little longer. I think it all depends on where you hike and for how long.
Yeah i get that but the area that i love in has abnormaly long and hot summers with triple digit heat well into September not to mention it can be high eighties or low nineties even at night. It cools quite a bit in winter but that does leave me with several months that I am afraid to take my dog out for longer than 5 to 10 minutes at a time.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I have a 2 year old boxer that i really enjoy. I think that boxers have the best temperament and demeanor they are excellent dogs. However i am an outdoorsman and I enjoy hiking and backpacking unfortunately I find that I have to leave my boxer at home a lot due to his temperature sensitivity. So my question is what is the ideal boxer cross that would provide boxer temperament in a body that is less fragile. Also my boxer is fixed and i will not be participating in any breeding activities im just curious is all.
Perhaps a german short-haired pointer or Visla would make a good hiking partner, they also have even temperaments . Boxers simply cannot tolerate extreme heat/humidity or cold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just get a rhodesian ridgeback they are built for exactly what your lifestyle is.
Maybe in the future, but I can only handle one dog and I am committed to my boxer i just have to live with his limitations i suppose.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Pretty much. My guy has a lot less energy in the summer, but we go out consistently to the beach. Granted its rarely triple digits, but as long as he has shade when he needs it and plenty of water, he does all right. We go at his pace in the summer.

You just have to find where your guy's limits are. They are all different. My guy has been out in single digits and I have to bring him in because I'm too cold. lol. Never had a vest for him or anything. He tolerates cold so well, where as my neighbors boxer starts shivering after 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 3/4 boxer 1/8 beagle 1/8 terrier mix and he’s isa dream to train, loves to play and cuddle, non aggressive, and has hung out playing in 90* weather with no signs of heat exhaustion. Trouble is he’s too dang handsome for his own good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts