Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This isn't specific to boxers, but as Opie is my first ever dog perhaps some of you could help me with expectations.

My partner (we have yet to merge households) has a Japanese Akita--a kinder, gentler, smaller iteration of the Akita type, if you know what American Akitas are like. Still she's an Akita.

When I bring Opie over, they are relentless in their rough housing. We've never kept them together long enough to find out if there is a point that they will ever settle down.

One thing that seems to upset the Akita is that Opie helps himself to her bones and her toys.

Is this bad etiquette for my dog? Is it my bad etiquette that I don't provide him with sufficient bones and toys at home that he has to help himself to Kuma's?

Should I intervene, like a parent with small children? "No, Opie, that's not yours . . . give it back to Kuma. Say you're sorry." Surely that's ridiculous. Just let them figure out who's boss, no matter who's house we're in?

I'd really appreciate any comments. None of my Caesar books appear to address this stuff.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No toys, no bones, no high value items should be left out. Especially with a breed that has dog fighting in its history. Japanese Akitas were bred to fight dogs amongst other things.
I would limit together time initially. Work in two week increments. First two weeks limited interaction, next two weeks, increase, etc.
Your dog won't ask permission, nor will you enjoy constantly correcting him.
Two dogs can have bones separately. Maybe in their crates or closed off from each other. They will keep each other busy enough, they won't need toys eventually.
I'd also not feed them together. Let them enjoy their meals in peace.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ares,

Thank you for your suggestions here. This is very helpful, and gives me a plan to progressively implement.

Where's the "Like" button?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Ares,

Thank you for your suggestions here. This is very helpful, and gives me a plan to progressively implement.

Where's the "Like" button?
We don't have one here?? They got one on the GSDFroum when they did the "Password" change thing also but not here??
I concur with Ares, advise. :)

But I tend to do more "specifics" but I'd heard ... I can be a bit overwhelming ... so my bad. :eek:

We just had a run in with a member and a "Rouge Akita." The GSD owner got stitches protecting there dog and the long haired GSD landed in the "ER" from an unseen puncture wound to throat, that got infected!"

But I did not want to lead with that! Every Dog is an "individual" and the good news is that this "Akita" seems to be a very well behaved "girl!" That should makes tings much easier ... if you guys get ahead of "issues."

And unchecked "play" and bone stealing ... is not a good foundation! Let the dogs learn to exist calmly around each other first before continuing free interaction. And sorry but "indoors" I would enforce a "No Free Roaming in the house Policy." Indoors the dogs should be in "Place or in there Crates." You can't control them if you don't know where they are or what they are doing??? "No Free Roaming" does not need to be for life but it should be done for awhile.

"Place and Sit on the Dog" ... simple enough to do with "both" dogs! And walks together with both owners and one on one swapping owners and dogs. It's much better to have a plan than to depend on dumb luck??

All the details can be found here.:
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My 11 month old GS is crazy!

And why getting it right out the gate, is important is most likely here.:
Leerburg | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with Other Dogs

Leerburgh "right now" is just stuff to be aware of right now he might seem kinda "extreme." But if you this mess up ... he'll seem a lot more reasonable. That's how I found him .... a lot of mistakes made with "Pack Structure" and potentially Human aggression issues??? Neither of which is "typically found in "Boxers???"

I got "Schooled!" With my first Over Sized Working Line GSD. Just a big furry dog with a pointy face??? Still things I learned the hard way are really basics ... had I got out in front of "issues" before they happen ... as I am want to say on the GermanshepardForum, ... I'd most likely not be here. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chip,

Thanks very much for weighing in with some ideas, perspective and some links for me to read up on.

I appreciate the helpful input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts