Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi everyone,

I am new to this website and I am just looking for a little advice about my boxer bitch.  Recently, I have noticed that one of her eyes has a small spot of white(ish) colour just over her pupil.  Is this something that is common among boxers?  I am not really sure of what it is and with it being near Christmas, I don't want it to be infectd or anything like that.  She seems to have no problems with seeing things and it doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I have noticed it for 2 or 3 days now and I am starting to get a little worried.

Does anybody know what this sounds like and if so, will it just disappear on it's own or do you think I ought to take to see the vet?

Many thanks,

Hazel.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Im not an expert at all, but to me it does not sound normal.. IMO i would get it checked out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hazel,  Try using the search function.  There are hundreds of posts about eye problems and concerns.  You might find your answer there.

Regards
Scott

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I found this searching the web, but I would recommend seeing a vet to be sure it is not something serious.  Didn't see it for boxers this was under a pit bull website.

Corneal Lipidosis

Corneal Lipidosis is lipid fat deposits which occur under the surface of the cornea which is thought to be inherited. These deposits appear as non-painful opaque whitish blemishes which usually occur bilaterally. Although this is not a serious medical condition as the opacities created by the deposits are non-inflammatory, not associated with systemic disease and not thought to impair vision, they are rather unsightly from a cosmetic standpoint. Occasionally, these opacities can regress or disappear but there is no medical therapy available to reduce this lipid deposition. It is thought that diet may contribute to this condition.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would agree^^^^^^ you need to see a vet. You may also want to ask SharonL. She would probably be very helpful.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You did not say how old your boxer is so going by the fact that she is still young it could be Corneal Lipidosis as mentioned above and it could also be a scratch or an ulcer developing.  Normally with an ulcer or a scratch the eye also waters alot and they keep it closed because it seems sensitive to light. I would watch it and see if it gets worse or if they membranes around the eye seem red or swollen if that is the case there may be some infection going on.

If your baby is older then this could be the starting of cataracts and with the exception of having surgery at about $1300.00 an eye, there is nothing to do with them and they will continue to grow with age.  There are some dogs that have pre-mature cataracts at about 3 years old also....

The eye is not something to mess with so if it looks red, swollen or it appears to have a pin hole in the center of the white spot, then it is probably an ulcer and I would get it checked pretty soon, ulcers left untreated can affect the sight in the eye.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Isis has that in one eye..its been there since we got her..it looks cloudy very small...its never changed in anyway in 2 yrs...she sees great and the vet thought it was an old injury ..it never seems to bother her but well see as time goes on...bear in mind Isis is 6..and we got her at 4..dont know what happend b/f tht except she was badly abused and neglected...but shes very healthy..we had everything don e when we got her..

^^ go with Sharons advice & ask about it at the vet..worth knowing and keeping watch over..: good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Thank you all so much for your advice.  I think it would be best to see the vet about this one, hopefully it isn't anything too serious.

She is just 2 years and 4 months old, so sort of still a pup I suppose!  I shall see if i goes or gets any better over Christmas and if it's no better or gotten worse, I shall contact the vet.  

Thanks again to you all.  This is a great website for advice and information!

Regards,

Hazel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts