Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I got our Boxer pup just over a month ago....he's doing great so far.

A few questions I had for everyone...he'll be 4 months old on August 5th this upcoming weekend and he currently weighs 20 pounds.

Is this normal for a male boxer pup that comes from good bloodlines?  He just seems like he should be bigger at this point???

We feed him adult dog food since that's what the Breeders told us we should do, and he eats 1 cup in the morning and about a cup and a half at night?

Just interested to hear some feedback from those who may know.

Thanks!!!

Travis
Chicago, IL

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Hello and welcome.  
I am sure you will get alot of advice on this one, but the main thing is there are many different factors on the size of our babies.  Fiona was about 25 lbs at four months and now at 5 months weighs 37.  It all depends on the dog itself.

I personally prefer feeding a large breed puppy food or an all stage food because I think they need a little more then they get from an adult food at that age.  If you make a change always remember to introduce the new food to the old slowly.

I think most of them look skinny at this point and all legs.  They will get tall and then start filling out....

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would do like Sharon suggests and put him on large breed puppy formula. He is cute by the way. Boxers are going to look slim as well.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we use an all stages food for our girls. We have a 2yr old and a 6 month old. the six month old just hit 32 pounds each one is different in weight and size. you should be able to see the last two ribs-just barely, they should not be pronounced in any way. as long as he eats and is healthy then you are doing things good :) by the way your baby is gorgeous!! what is his name?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His name is Toby!!!

You can see quite a few of his Ribs....he gets quite a bit of walks and play time with our other dog (an 8 year old doberman).  I just don't know if he should be eating more food or what?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we feed 3 cups a day. 1.5 morning 1.5 evening. sometime she eats all of it, sometime she leaves some in the bowl. dont be too worried. he may be going through a growth spurt in which they usually dont eat as much but are growing and looks like skinny walking sticks. Reese is going through a growth spurt-right now she is at 20in at her whithers.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a Toby too!

My girl just turned 3 months last week and she weighs 25lbs now (weighed 22 a week and a half ago).. I free feed and let them all eat as they please.. They're all on an adult food... I talked to a Natural Choice spokes person and she said that she'll eat as much as she needs to get the proper nutrients, so thats what I've been doing..

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
When you feed Toby, take note as to how fast he eats the food. If it is gone within a few minutes, I would give him some more. Puppies go through growth spurts ( a lot of them!) where sometimes they will need a bit more food. I would just adjust the amount of food if he seems hungry.  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Toby is adorable! Something else you can do is supplement during the day with a PUPPY KONG filled with plain, low fat yogurt & Peanut Butter that has been frozen for a few hours...It's also a great way to keep your pup entertained for awhile as well  :)

All boxers are different, pups and adults, you can't really go by how his parents look now, mainly cos they are adults and your pup has a long way to go to get to that point...As long as he is healthy, getting exercise and is eating well, I wouldn't worry..Watch the walks tho, he is still a baby. General rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month of age. Example, a 4 mo old should get no more than a 20 min walk. No serious exercise til they are at least a year as it takes that long for their bones to fully develop..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby is very petite and has started filling out some in the past month or so, she was 38.5 lbs at the vet yesterday and is 13 months old tomorrow. She is currently on natural balance sweet potato and fish, about 2 3/4 cups a day split into 2 meals, plus 2 peanut butter kongs a day. So, as had been said, the weights will vary from boxer to boxer. I would not be too concerned about him being slender...I hear that it is sometime after a year that they begin filling out width-wise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts