Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 7 month old female boxer named Binga.  She is still a puppy right now so she is an absolute handful.  When she is older we want to get her a playmate.  We are just not sure if it would be best to get another female boxer or a male?  

Does anyone know the best boxer combination?

We are still debating if when she gets older if we are going to breed her.  I of course think she is beautiful and would have perfect boxer babies.   :D   That is a LONG way away though.  But that means we won't be getting her fixed for quite a while.

I am just trying to plan ahead!  Thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Having two is definitely more work, more expense, you name it, but the plus side is that they keep each other entertained a lot of the time...I personally prefer the m/f combo which is what I have now and had in the past...There are people on here that have 2 females and have no problems, but if they unspayed there could be issues, same as with 2 un uneutered males...

As far as breeding, if you are even considering it, think long & hard and be objectionable..We all think our babies are perfect, but look at the Breed Standard & compare..Have a mentor evaluate your girl...Then read the topics in the breeding section that I have posted regarding who should breed, what to expect and health testing....At the end of the day, we breed to perfect the line, it's not about money, matter of fact most breeders will tell you that they lose money actually, but they do it cos they love the breed and want to achieve perfection :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your advice.

BUT I said I was thinking about breeding and it would be a LONG time away.  I know there is a lot that goes into it and research to do.  Binga is registered and has papers, so its not like shes some mutt dog.  

I wouldn't breed her just to make money anyways.  

:aua:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Binga is registered and has papers, so its not like shes some mutt dog
Anyone can register a boxer as a purebred, however it does not mean that it is a true example of the boxer breed, so just because a dog has papers, does not mean its breedable!!   Just wanted to comment on that, also its (breeding) not something to take lightly as you already know!!  She is young, and that gives you about 2 years worth of research - and sure if you will do it, you will do it the right way, it complicated, so I'd start researching now!!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what you mean it'd be a long time away.  You're going to breed an old dog?  You're scaring everybody here, so don't be surprised when people offer their advice (which btw, is generally spot on....especially the regulars here!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is only 7 months old!!!  When I mean a long time I mean year are so, not like next month.

~X(

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well theres a lot of preparation.  Like Heather and Samsonsmom said, theres all the research and breed standards to consider.  Then even the basic things like....even at around 7 months you have to decide whether you're going to have her spayed or not.  And if you're not going to breed her, then you'd want to consider it soon to avoid the unwanted behaviors.  Unless you're against it for some other reasons (personal choice of course).  Personally I wouldn't want to deal with a female in heat and all that if I didn't have to!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you about the picture.  And being off topic is fine.

But yes, I think my first post was mistaken.  I was not at ALL implying I was about to just breed her.  I was just stating it because of the decision to have her spayed.  I don't want to have to deal with her being in heat myself.  My husband is the one talking about the breeding so HE is the one that is going to have to do all the research and health testing.  I would rather have her spayed and then get her a friend.

I do know that two dogs is a lot more work, but I think it will be worth it.  Right now we don't have room for two.  But in the near future we will be getting a bigger house with bigger fenced in yard (ITS MY GOAL) and so THEN we will consider a second dog.  I just think it would be better for her so she won't be alone so much while we are at work.  AND I love my little boxer and can't wait to get another.

SHE LOVES to play with any dog.  I took her to my aunts and she has a 7 year old lab/sheep dog mix.  Binga wanted to play with her so bad.  Bailey would just stare at her like she was nuts.  

Is it normal for them to foam at the mouth when they get that excited?!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I know what you mean, my boy is about Bingas age and he loves playing with EVERY other dog.  Even if they don't want to play (actually I think that makes him even more motivated to play with them).   Foaming/drooling when excited I think is pretty normal.  Oggie has only done this when outside in colder weather so far but might happen more when he gets older.  I'm also going to consider adding another dog at some point.  But from the advice I've read on here, most people seem to say to wait until your first dog is mostly fully grown before taking another one on.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh for sure.  I know to make sure she is totally trained, ESPECIALLY potty trained.  she does really good now.  every now and then she will have an accident.  But like I have heard someone say on here, I think its because she was playing so much and didn't realized she needed to go.  Then it was like OOPS!

That made me laugh when you said he is even more motivated to play if they don't want to.  She does the same thing.  Bailey (my aunt's dog) would ignore her and she would try to climb on her, thus getting foamy slobber all over Bailey's head.  Hilarious to watch    =))

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am in a similar situation to you...trying to decide if I should spay my baby (5 months old) or if I should wait and get the health testing done and if everything looks good, breed her.  I know that her nose is not the perfect breed standard, so I would have to find a stud that is...and breed her to him to help better her line...if I ever did decide to breed her...which who knows...only time will tell.  That said...when she was about 4 months old, we got her a playmate, a 9 month old male named Bo...she has never been happier...they keep each other occupied...they play together...try to wear each other out...unsuccessfully...and a way that I cut back cost is that with Bo...I vaccinate him myself (aside from rabies)....I also feed them the same food so that prevents buying two bags and they share all toys...having two is a blessing...and while it is cramped to have two pups and two crates in a small 750ish square foot house...it is definately worth it~

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
**** Just wanted to add, that even if the dog passed all their health testing, you still should get them evaluated by a professional to make sure they are to standard of the breed.  Sometimes picking a stud that has a shorter muzzle may help even it out, but you need to make sure the over all body sructure and temperment is a match.  We can live with one or two little flaws, but little is the key when it comes to breeding  :lol:  :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
which is prolly another reason to wait to 2 years so they are finished growing into themselves, right?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Binga still has quite a bit of growing to do.  She is only 7 months, and we weighed her recently and she was at 40 lbs.  I guess this is normal.  She is all muscle which is good.     :D

I need to quit looking at all these pictures on here of the cute little babies!  makes me want another one!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
which is prolly another reason to wait to 2 years so they are finished growing into themselves, right?
Yes, but more over you don't want a puppy having puppies?   No teen pregnancies.  :lol:   After two, and IMO the ladder of it 3-4 years I think is an opportune time to breed a bitch.   Reason being (IMO) all health testing is usually done at the age of two.  Also maturity.  Some boxers at 2 years old IMO are not mature enough for a litter of pups.   They usually finish their growing at 18 month to 2 years , so yes, another reason amongst others.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For me, if I did breed...it would be at 3-4 just so that I would be done with school and have more time to care for the pups

1 - 18 of 18 Posts