Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
you might remember me, when I posted about a boxer I'm going to pet-sit. Well it's been a little over a week and it's been great. Yesterday though, she came into heat  8O (I guess that's what its called) and there's blood spots everywhere. It's very exhausting, I have to constantly clean, and it's hard to clean blood spots. Well what I'm asking is do you have any advice for me? What do you do (for those who have intact females)?
thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can purchase items at local pet supply stores, or you can do what my parents did with their boxer back in the day.  They would use my brothers small under wear.  Yep sounds funny, but this was back in the 70's when there were no doggie special items...  and it worked.. :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
yep doggie diapers  my cousin has an american bulldog that he is breeding and the dog just went into heat and sshe has to wear doggie diapers.  she looks really funny.

·
Registered
60 Posts
First priority - DO NOT LET HER OUT OF YOUR SIGHT! LOL All it takes for an oops breeding is MINUTES - Sometimes even seconds!

Dont let her out in the yard unsupervised. She may not be able to get out, but believe me, a motivated male CAN get in. (And as the oldest saying goes - the ugliest dogs are the best fence jumpers!)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I use little boys size 5 (or 6, depending on your bitch's waist size) underwear. Put a heavy maxi-pad in the crotch, turn them upside-down and put their tail through the opening. Cinch whatever slack you have left over with a rubberband or hair tie.

Make sure to change the pad once per day or when it is full, and DO NOT leave panties on them when they're unsupervised! They can pull them off, tear them to shreds, eat them and have bowel obstruction as a result.

She will bleed for approximately 3 to 4 weeks. As Paula said, you want to be extra sure that you keep her in your sights at all times. NO walks, no outside potty time alone. Take a baseball bat out with you. Males will be able to smell her for miles around.

I also give chlorophyll tabs once per day in my girl's feedings. It turns their poop green, but it definitely cuts down on the odor.

When your friend gets back, you might want to speak with them about having her spayed. There really is no reason to keep a bitch intact unless they are planning on showing her and eventually breeding her. If they're not planning on showing her, chances are, they shouldn't be thinking about breeding her, as there is much that goes into breeding, and it should be taken seriously. Additionally, there are health benefits to spaying. . . Lower risks of mammary cancers, no risk of deadly pyometria (a horrible infection of the uterus), and no bother of stinky messy heat cycles.

If you'd like more information on whether to breed or whether not to breed to print and give to them, let us know and we can certainly point you in the right direction.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for advice!  :D I never let her out to potty unsupervized so that's no problem. I'll try that small underwear thing with the pad lol =D I bet it will look funny.
Thanks again  :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts