Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and thought I’d share a few details about myself.
We purchased our first boxer, Sophie, while living in Mexico City. She was a beautiful fawn black mask and a wonderful girl. She was happy and healthy and was a perfect family dog. She went everywhere with us. She lived to age 14.5 years. After three months we purchased another female fawn black mask from Tanoak breeders in Barrie Ontario, as we had moved to Canada.
As mentioned in my post about Tanoak, Abby, was sick from the start but we would have never returned her as we were in love at first sight. Helga atTanoak was very helpful and always available to counsel me, but never said she was at all responsible for Abby’s health issues. Abby died last December at 5.5 years old. Abby had giardia, colitis, weak kidneys, periodontal hyperplasia, and finally died of fibrosarcoma in her mouth. She had four surgeries to remove the tumours, but they were on the inside of her bottom jaw too near her tongue to completely remove them.

I took her early on to a naturopath vet, and switched her to home cooked fresh food at 5months old. Abby was on probably 20+supplements a day. We fed her 6Xper day and finally 3X per day at the end. We ordered a “rife” machine in Albuquerque NM to use on her daily to try and slow down the cancer. We did everything and spared no expense for her. If she had other owners, I don’t think she would’ve made a year. I was pleased to keep her happy and feeling good for 5 years. She looked the picture of health.
Two completely different dog experiences, which I believe boils down to breeding well outside your pack and importing dogs from Europe to mate with North American dogs to broaden the gene pool which results in healthier dogs.
I’m not sure tanoak does that. The breeder in Mexico did.
Now we are ready for a new pup this fall after our travelling days end. I can’t wait to have a new sweet girl to take care of and exercise with.
Thanks for listening to my story and thank you for welcoming me to the boxer forum.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
As mentioned I am so sorry for our loss. Guardia is acquired thru contamination. Lots of times puppies can pick it up just drinking from a puddle of water, it is more difficult to treat and they can get re infected from the cysts which are shed and can contaminate just about anything . Colitis in dogscan be from stress, parasites, allergies just about anything but in most cases is treatable though it appears it can be hereditary in boxers. I read that somewhere. There are so many cancers out there I am sure even a good breeder can't be sure b ut what is good today is that a good breeder will take this knowledge they get from people like you who talk to them and let them know maybe one day they will see if it follows in their line or is just a coincidence. I really hope you find a nice healthy pup from health tested parents that go back a few generations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts