Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be long.  I walk my friend's Boxer mix at lunchtime.  Take him out to potty.  He never seems to have a firm stool.  She used to feed him Science Diet.  He's always had sort of soft poops and poops a lot.  When I would walk my dog with her, he would poop at least 4 times on a 30-minute walk.  Then he developed some more stomach issues, diarrhea, etc. Vet tested stool, came back negative, but they did put him on a course of metranidazole and some low-fat prescription food, Royal Canin/IVD diet. Also told her to add pumpkin to his food (covering all the bases here  :lol: ).  Stools got better, formed but never really firm.  I have a Lab and he has great poops.  I have always told her to put him on a better diet, but kinda fell on deaf ears.  She did finally put him on Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato, had good poops for awhile, but never firm. Soft, but formed.  Is this a Boxer trait?  The last couple of weeks his stools have basically been like milk shakes.  They start out formed but by the time he's done, yuck, and very difficult to pick up.  Today, he had blood in his stool and mucus.  

My Lab had been on NB Potato and Duck for years and then last summer he developed what we thought was colitis, did the metronidazole, Panacur, pumpkin, boiled chicken and rice, etc., never really firmed up, so I switched his food and in 2 days had great poops and has had them every since.  I think she needs to change his food.  Right now he is having all the symptoms my dog has last summer with NB.  At first she thought he was getting into the cat food, but she put that up so he can't get to it, but still having terrible stools.  They don't have a rank smell like Giardia.

My dog is on Wellness CORE.  I told her to try the CORE reduced because it has a relatively high fiber content, 8.5%.  This is what I tried on my dog last summer, then gradually switched over to the regular.  He has done just great on this food.  Her dog is 10 years old, recently had blood and urine done, all fine.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not so much a boxer trait, but a poeple trait. People don't try hard enough in general to find a diet that works for their dog. Sounds to me like a change (might take a few try's) is needed.  We hardly ever have a mushy poo, but we also feed raw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.  Just talked to his owner.  Apparently he had blood yesterday so he is going to the vet tomorrow.  It's just frustrating that she seems to really have no interest in exploring a food that will work for him.   :aua:  She says probably because he's old.   :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Age really doesn't have all that much to do with it...Samson is 11 and other than his worsening arthritis, he is in very good health...Very firm stools :) I feed mine Chicken Soup for Dog Lovers Soul, good food...But yea it can be frustrating when you KNOW that it would help to change diet and it falls on deaf ears..Hoping he's ok, I hate to see any dog, or cat for that matter, or any pet be in pain or not feeling good

1 - 4 of 4 Posts