Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a boxer named duke. he's 1 year and 4months old. weighs 84 pounds and growing. real strong he'd could rip my arm off if i have him on leash if he was going to chase something and im 216lbs.  i took him to the vet today and she brought to my attention the he doesnt look like a full boxer, she said he looks half mastiff. which made me think because everytime i take him to the dog park, new people would ask me if hes a mastiff, and when i tell them hes a boxer they're like "is he full boxer"? could he be a bullmastiff? i bought him from PA, and found out a few months ago that it was a puppy mill. thank God he has no health issues, but his dad was 90+ pounds and looked real mean, not like a regular boxer. they said they were both full breed. being my first dog didnt know about the akc paper which i dont have. what do you guys think? since hes still pretty young his head and body is wider than all other boxer's i seen at full age. how big will he get? here's afew pics, tell me what you guys think and thanks for the responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
He's definitely part boxer if not pure. My grandmother has a purebred bullmastiff and she looks somewhat different from those pictures...her name is Havana. Havana's head is larger, shoulders are broader, eyes are closer together, paws and entire body are just overall larger. She weighs 120-130.  Bullmastiffs are generally not as lean as boxers. Havanas walk reminds me of a mountain lion's swagger whereas a boxers walk is more stiff and organized I guess you could say. Maybe you should read a book about the breed standard....it usually gives the entire breakdown of what a boxer should look like. He just looks like a very large boxer to me. That face is DEFINITELY a boxers face. He's quite a handsome boy! Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
977 Posts
He looks like a boxer to me too. I can't tell from the pics, so i'm not saying he is, but could he be slightly overweight? That can give a boxer a "mastiff" appearance. You should be able to see a couple of ribs. My dog Voltaire has a much more "mastiff" type face than your Duke and he's a pedigree - have a look at the photos in the gallery! Duke's a good looking guy - i vote he's 100% boxer :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Looks like a 100% boxer boy to me.  And I've been around them for 26 years now.  I had a male once that weighed 100 pounds and was huge.  His head looks just like my 3 year old boy.

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Looks like a boxer to me!  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh, that's a boxer, no doubt..He could be like my Samson, very stocky..How tall is he? Samson is barely 23", Angel is as tall as him..Certain lines of boxers carry certain traits..A reputable breeder knows this and breeds accordingly..Since you suspect that this breeder was not on the up and up, esp as you don't have papers, it could very well be that something in the background is bringing that look forward....

There is no doubt to me that he is a boxer, so don't worry..People tend to be a bit ignorant at times..I try to educate if I can..I cannot tell you how many times Samson has been confused with a Bulldog, of all things!

Duke is a very handsome guy by the way. He's also still a puppy, so keep that in mind..Boxers have a very long puppyhood..Give him a lot of exercise and that will help with the weigh. Keep away from excess treats also..For the pulling, can I suggest you try a Gentle Leader? It works, for me anyways, better than a harness or a standard collar...

Thanks for joining our little family here and hope you decide to stick around.... :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
He looks all boxer to me too.. I'm new to the breed but he has the head of a boxer.. If there is ANY mastiff at all in him, I'd say its a bullmastiff.

Beautiful pitbull, btw! My boyfriend has a chocolate red nose male. Complete ***** cat! And he's submissive to the cats to boot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My pit, she is about 11 months. bought here from a mexican guy at a taco stand for $200. he said she was 8 weeks at the time. she only weigh 6 pounds really thin. she a sweet heart though. for my boxer, duke, he get alot of exercise, rarly give him treats, no people food. he does have a waist line but cant get the ribs to show. he does have alot of excess skin though. will he grow into that?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Looks like a boxer to me. The only thing that would make me think otherwise is his snout. Looks kind of large to me like a bullmastiff. BUT there are a lot of boxers with that kind of snout. He's just gonna be a big boy is all!

Cute pics... love the pb too!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
He looks like a boxer to me. Maybe....I dont have much experience with the german bred boxers, i know they look a little different than the american boxers. Could he possibly have german boxer in his background? What does everyone think?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have to give a dissenting vote (or at least a questionable one).

I've seen some BullMastiffs that look a lot like Boxers... not saying he's a full-blown Bull Mastiff, but might be some of that in there.

The above two pics are Bull Mastiffs... kinda look like Boxers.

Never know... anways, does it matter if he's a full-whatever... you love him just the same, right?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Exactly... people have asked me if Jessie is a boxer/ pitt mix, i cant say for sure because ive only seen pictures of her mom and she is a boxer...

but that doesnt mean i dont love her to death!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
duke looks like that 1st mastiff pic. hes got a tongues that could mop the floor. i think he was 11 months in this pic. oh i found a pic of missy my pit when she a baby. cute huh?

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
She's darling!!!!

Duke looks somewhat like a Mastiff in the 2nd pic but in the first, its ALL boxer..

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
frostt3ch\";p=\"8672 said:
duke looks like that 1st mastiff pic. hes got a tongues that could mop the floor. i think he was 11 months in this pic. oh i found a pic of missy my pit when she a baby. cute huh?
That pic is adorable...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts