Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, like many members, I came here seeking help. Years past, I was a member of a forum like this or it may have been this one. I found it to be very useful and posted for a long time. I came then as my first boxer was ill. She died and we found a wonderful boxer to "replace" her (although each has their own specialness about them).

Now that boxer is 12 years old. The vet says she is aging well, but she has some problems which may or may not be something that becomes very serious.

Me...who am I? I am a man who has always loved dogs. TBH, a boxer was not on my list of favorites at all! I have always loved collies and similar breeds. The idea of having a dog that looked as if it ran into a wall face first would have made me laugh. But then....I met one. The exuberant personality and the playfulness of a boxer is unique. Watching one run and jump with an enthusiasm for life that makes one chuckle is enough to get anyone's attention. Soon I fell in love with this goofy breed. I also discovered what great companions and guard dogs they make, while at the same time they make excellent and gentle companions for children.

Our first one lived for seven years and died of kidney failure. Now we are on our second one. She has chronic pancreatitis and also a skin cancer.

I will post more details in the health section.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you checked out the website epi4dogs.com ? I personally dont have experience with pancreatitis, but at one point my vet thought my guy had it. Chronic pancreatitis can lead to exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, so following the diet tips along with digestive enzymes may help.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Oh I posted directly for you here ... thanks "breanna" it comes up on the GSDforum so I looked there and found the same site. I have no experiance with this issue but diet seems to be key to getting it under control.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/

And I have to add the "OP's" explanation of the how's and why's of "Boxer's." I miss my "Struddel" and now I'm now down to my "WL GSD." And I luv him but he's more of a "life is serious business" kinda dog ... whereas my "Struddell" was more like ... "girl just wanna have fun!" :)

Sorry about your first "Boxer" that just sucks and I hope your current Boxer gets better! Welcome back. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the link, Chip18. I am going to it after this post. My first boxer, Annie, was a white female too. Beautiful and from champion parents....but she was white. So the breeder quietly sold her as this was almost 20 years ago and just when white boxers were no longer being put down as quickly because of the color. I only heard about her as I called the breeder looking for a boxer. The idea of a white one was on my mind so I mentioned it, and so began our life with a boxer.

The one regret with her is that I had her ears done as I thought that is what should be done. Looking at pictures of her as a puppy, I can see the discomfort and pain (possibly). Just to have ears that look "proper" based on some standard? Never again.

This one does not have her ears up and we think she looks perfect the way she is.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
LOL wow the parallels between are amazing! I got Struddell in 2003 ... tail end of the auto culling thing I belive. I lost my Boxer/APBT Stewie and accident that was my fault at one year. I had ended up with"PTSD" behind that one. He was a fawn dog and very Boxer like in his mannerism. But I could not look at a Fawn Boxer without breaking into tears ... so Fawn color was out.

Then I tried Brindle ... and that did not work out to well, BYB puppy and we went to the vet next morning and she had Parvo!! We could have just taken her back as it had been less than 24 hours ... we choose to keep her and fight ... we lost, it was an expensive battle Vet during the day IV's at home during the evenings ... Hidi was a trooper ...but she was just too small ... she only lasted a week and died in my arms. We had to wait a year before trying again "Parvo" in he yard. But unknown to us at the time ... apparently not the whole yard ... "hidi" apparently always went in the same spot ... she would have been a good dog. :(

But a year later it was time to try again ... and running out of colors and still wanting a "Boxer" I chose "White." I still did not what a "BYB" was but I did know what "Parvo" was and "Struddell" had never seen grass in her eight week life. She was a little freaked ... for about ten seconds and got over it.

We did better with her had eight good years and then DM struck her down but ... with 24/7 care ... we barely managed to get her to the 10 year before it was game over. But this time ... I have 8 years of fun memories to fill the heartbreak. She helped me get over the color heartbreak and this time ... I want another "White Boxer." :)

And Marilyn and I did had the crop and dock debate. I wanted both done but when we got Struddell the tails were all done and the guy explained to me about getting the ears done. It was more expense and trouble then it was worth to me. Tail was already done and that seemed ... a reasonable compromise and I felt her floppy ears suited her personality just fine. :)

Sorry your having health issues now I hope she gets better ... we all understand how much this time is a dog's life ... just starts to suck. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts