Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon all,

Glad to finally find this group! I should have probably joined earlier as we are now running into issues with our year old rescue boxer Leonidas. I am trying to get all the information I can on training and tips that could help me keep him from being so aggressive to other people when we are around. He is an amazing dog and is nothing but nice to us, but doesnt like when other people come around. Looking for help from other boxer owners during this tough time.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Uh oh ... the rare (for me and here seriously) bad boy Boxer ... first one here this year!! Yes ... you should have joined a while ago. And I'm gonna guess that when you got him ...you did not follow the advise in the first link here??? :

German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging

Mostly likely had you at least Incorporated most of that advise ... you'd not be here for this?? And .... if this were GSDForum ... they will tell you "To Find a Trainer" and call it a day ... or you know exercise cures all. (It is important but so are other things.)

But fortunately ... your here! By and large a lot of your solutions are going to revolve around not doing whatever it is you've been doing??? And if he has already sent someone to the hospital and if no punctures ... most likely it was inappropriate play ... but nonetheless. He should not be put in a position to make that "Poor Choice" again.

Keep people out of his face ... until you show him ... how you expect him to behave around people. Fair or not most likely he is going to now have a bite history. See the second link on how to deal with people. And with my formerly H/A Over Sized, WL GSD ... I kicked it up a notch! Details will be in my last link.

The fence jumping thing ... yeah that's not good, pretty much the only way to stop that crap is by correcting him hard! Behavior modification protocol and that will take an E-Collar set on high, setting him up to make that "Poor Choice" and a three second correction on full blast ... one time done properly ... and he jumped that fence again!

Short of that always leashed in the back yard I assume or a back yard kennel until he learns some manners! To use an E-Collar like that ... takes no special skills. E-Collar modification works like this. :

And if a Board and Train with a "Balanced Trainer" is not a viable option for you ... consider perhaps "Private Sessions" from a competent qualified trainer. This is not a dog for the PO crowd, they will charge you dollars, ultimately fail and then say sorry, nothing can be done ... time to PTS ... maybe you'll do better next time???

Next a couple of question is the dog Crate Trained and is he walk-able on leash without issues??? and I'm not a Pro but I am a graduate from the School of Hard knock! And when I found myself with 116 lbs of "Pack Fighting" Human Aggressive WL GSD on my hands that sent me to the hospital for stitches (breaking up pack fights) it was time to say.:

And at the core of my issues was not enough rules/structure and limitations for the dog in front of me! The old my "other dogs were not like this???" When I got over that confusion and made some changes, it worked out fine! And pretty much correction free as a matter of fact but your dog .... is now a fence jumper ... that crap needs to be stopped cold!!! Then ... we can get on with the training thing.

But Rocky and my story is here. :
What would my dog do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Welcome aboard and sorry it's a bumpy road. :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Chip seams to be the go to with a lot of training knowledge around here. As are others but I see the most advice coming from him. I'm sure he'll be able to give you some tips :) Welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the response Chip18! I will try and be as thorough as I can here on his background so you can see where we are at. We rescued him when he was pretty young (small puppy a rescue found on side of road so not sure how young). We socialized when he was young and tried to get him into as much activity as we could. We have taken him to the park multiple times, and put him in "dog care" during the week to get his energy out. It was never an issue until one day my friend came over (and not the first time they had met) and proceeded to angrily bark and growl at him until I put him in his crate. Ever since that day whenever someone comes over he has basically been a growler and gets too close for comfort so I put him in his crate. For the most part he eventually calms down and is not an issue. We did adopt an american bulldog female who is extremely nice and they play well with each other. They both go to dog care and couldn't be nicer to the people there, but once i show up to pick them up he growls at the people for no reason. He does like his crate and is extremely friendly to me and my wife but issue seems to be very overprotective. And when the neighbor cut down the bushes in between house he was able to leap over (first time i have ever seen him do that as well since he still needs to be picked up to get in the car). Sorry for long post, but we really want him to be able to work him in with a trainer here in town and get his behavior modified so this does not happen again. Definitely a one and done on the bite as my wife saw it and once he did it, backed away immediately. Also, I am in talks with fence company for putting up an 8 footer back there with an angled top so hopefully that is a big deterrent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chip seams to be the go to with a lot of training knowledge around here. As are others but I see the most advice coming from him. I'm sure he'll be able to give you some tips :) Welcome to the boards!

Thank you Shaciam630! Glad to be here!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thank you for the response Chip18! I will try and be as thorough as I can here on his background so you can see where we are at. We rescued him when he was pretty young (small puppy a rescue found on side of road so not sure how young). We socialized when he was young and tried to get him into as much activity as we could. We have taken him to the park multiple times, and put him in "dog care" during the week to get his energy out. It was never an issue until one day my friend came over (and not the first time they had met) and proceeded to angrily bark and growl at him until I put him in his crate. Ever since that day whenever someone comes over he has basically been a growler and gets too close for comfort so I put him in his crate. For the most part he eventually calms down and is not an issue. We did adopt an american bulldog female who is extremely nice and they play well with each other. They both go to dog care and couldn't be nicer to the people there, but once i show up to pick them up he growls at the people for no reason. He does like his crate and is extremely friendly to me and my wife but issue seems to be very overprotective. And when the neighbor cut down the bushes in between house he was able to leap over (first time i have ever seen him do that as well since he still needs to be picked up to get in the car). Sorry for long post, but we really want him to be able to work him in with a trainer here in town and get his behavior modified so this does not happen again. Definitely a one and done on the bite as my wife saw it and once he did it, backed away immediately. Also, I am in talks with fence company for putting up an 8 footer back there with an angled top so hopefully that is a big deterrent.
Seems some of the behavior is when you are around. Does he recognize you as the Alpha in the pack? Sometimes dogs will automatically take that role and feel they have to "protect the pack" if they don't believe you could, growling, snipping etc.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
We did adopt an american bulldog female who is extremely nice and they play well with each other.
LOL ... you said the secret word! Johnson or Scott type??? I saw a Johnson Type around here small town ... I manged to track them down I recognized the owners mustang. The dog a female was White, I saw her drive past my house and saw a dog in the back seat and it was huge! But she looked just like my Struddell on freaking Steroids!!

We always ask for pictures anyway please do include both dogs! :clap2:

They both go to dog care and couldn't be nicer to the people there, but once i show up to pick them up he growls at the people for no reason. He does like his crate and is extremely friendly to me and my wife but issue seems to be very overprotective. And when the neighbor cut down the bushes in between house he was able to leap over (first time i have ever seen him do that as well since he still needs to be picked up to get in the car). Sorry for long post, but we really want him to be able to work him in with a trainer here in town and get his behavior modified so this does not happen again. Definitely a one and done on the bite as my wife saw it and once he did it, backed away immediately. Also, I am in talks with fence company for putting up an 8 footer back there with an angled top so hopefully that is a big deterrent.
The bush thing ... is that the front yard or the back yard??? I guess if an 8 foot is necessary, it must be out back???

And since fences are mentioned ... a side note, because we just went over Boxers and fences. In theory a 6 foot fence ... should be sufficient. But ... that presupposes a dog "chooses not to go over it!" 6 feet was fine for all my dogs, I always assumed that was because ... they could not go over it??? I never had a problem with my dogs going over the fence.

In retrospect ... while I never had a problem with my dogs going over our fences (6 feet) my "assumption" as to why not was off??? My dogs stayed in there yard not because they could not get out but because they chose not to get out. I saw a clip of PPD, APBT and a Six foot Concert Block Fence ... that Pit went up and over that fence (on Command) like it was not even there, I was stunned???

So if your dog can leap a hedge to go after a neighbor but won't jump to get in the car??? That's not so much a can't do it, as it is a I don't want to ... that's a typical Boxer thing. Nother issue. :)

Matt ... I do think actually nailed the source of the problem! But I don't use the term Alpha ... a guy thing ... you say Alpha and guys tend to go all "Hog Butt Wild!" It tends to stop guys from "trying to out think there dogs and encourages fighting with there dogs ...not good." But he also included "Leadership" and Dogs respect assertive Leadership ... Cesar thing.

I tried the "Alpha Approach" with my Pack Fight issues my GSD never came after me but he Band Dawg buddy yeah I'm taking that guy down!! Alpha approach ... did not work! I was reacting to my dog, instead of not giving him the opportunity to make poor choices! For a time there Marilyn walked on egg shells, all the males in our house were crazy ... and there was "Zero Boxer involvement in those dust ups! Struddel wanted no part of that kinda crazy!

My motto is "No Dog Attacks" my dog without getting past me!! But what if it's one of your dogs??? I had a problem ... fighting with my dog is how I got them stitches ... when I stopped fighting and started thinking ... that approach worked much better! :)

Moving on .... now it sounds like your dog ... is not that bad?? Matt did nail the source of your issues but the question is why is that happening??? Most likely you did almost the same things I did as regards "socialization." With two key difference ... I did not do Dog Parks and I did not do Doggy Day Care. Those two things may seem like reasonable options and as you see with one of your dogd ... no big deal but with the other maybe ... not so much???

My first link, has the "Why Dog Parks are a Bad idea" it's pretty good ... but I'd add to that, "that dogs also learns by running for hours playing with a bunch of dogs out of an owners control ... that what you say does not matter kinda like.:
User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

And of course ... millions of Dogs go to Dog Parks and Doggie Day care and they don't have issues??? And there are lot's of people Luv'ing GSD's out there also ...but mine is not one of them. What other dogs can or cannot do/handle is not your concern but "your dog with issues is."

And yes I get it ... people "think" that if they don't want to have Dog v Dog issues then there dogs need to get out there and play with other dogs. And yep ... that can work ... but my American Band Dawg (for a time) was a Dog that people would not want to meet at a Dog Park (Dog Issues, he luv'd people) and my Boxer (Struddell) was the type of dog people "expected to see" at a Dog Park. But under my watch ... you'd not find her there.

I can count on one hand the number of Dog's she encounter that I had no control of ... and in ten years ... that would be uh two exactly. Other then vet's visits ... no dog came close enough to do her harm. And she could go anywhere with me and paid no heed to other dogs. She'd never had an issue with unknown dogs so why would she care about them??? But ... dogs fighting is not your issues but uncontrolled play and that much time spent out of your control routinely maybe is??? My dogs world revolved around me, they had each other and did not need doggy friends ... worked out fine. :)

Right now at least it seems your dog acts like a A-Hole when you go to Pick him up form Doggy Day Care??? Every time he gets to "practice that behavior ... the better he gets at it."

Usually "solutions" revolve around owners ability to stop doing what they are doing and doing something different??? That .... is ultimately, what worked for me with my problem child. But chalk that up to, stuff to ponder ... but now ... I can quote Jeff Gellman, when he told a caller on one occasion ... "Lady, your dogs not that bad." Your solution just may be a lot simpler that you think. At any rate ... I'm not done and actually my "recommendations" are going to be astonishingly simple. :)

And my questions, were kinda scattered ... as I do tend to go off on tangents. But back to basics ... how is your dog on walks??? As I discovered after many years of searching ... that my ability to walk "Rocky" was ultimately my solution to his issues, .. who knew??? :)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
We did adopt an american bulldog female who is extremely nice and they play well with each other.
LOL ... you said the secret word (for me)! Is your ABD a Johnson or Scott type??? I saw a Johnson Type around here once, it's a small town. And I managed to track them down. I recognized the owners Mustang (the car.) The dog a female was White, I saw her drive past my house and saw a dog in the back seat and it was huge! But she looked just like my Struddell on freaking Steroids!!???

We always ask for pictures anyway but please do include both dogs! :clap2:

They both go to dog care and couldn't be nicer to the people there, but once i show up to pick them up he growls at the people for no reason. He does like his crate and is extremely friendly to me and my wife but issue seems to be very overprotective. And when the neighbor cut down the bushes in between house he was able to leap over (first time i have ever seen him do that as well since he still needs to be picked up to get in the car). Sorry for long post, but we really want him to be able to work him in with a trainer here in town and get his behavior modified so this does not happen again. Definitely a one and done on the bite as my wife saw it and once he did it, backed away immediately. Also, I am in talks with fence company for putting up an 8 footer back there with an angled top so hopefully that is a big deterrent.
The bush thing ... is that the front yard or the back yard??? I guess if an 8 foot is necessary, it must be out back???

And since fences are mentioned ... a side note, because we just went over Boxers and fences. In theory a 6 foot fence ... should be sufficient. But ... that presupposes a dog "chooses not to go over it!" 6 feet was fine for all my dogs, I always assumed that was because ... they could not go over it??? I never had a problem with my dogs going over the fence.

In retrospect ... while I never had a problem with my dogs going over our fences (6 feet) my "assumption" as to why not was off??? My dogs stayed in there yard not because they could not get out but because they chose not to get out. I saw a clip of PPD, APBT and a Six foot Concert Block Fence ... that Pit went up and over that fence (on Command) like it was not even there, I was stunned???

So if your dog can leap a hedge to go after a neighbor but won't jump to get in the car??? That's not so much a can't do it, as it is a I don't want to ... that's a typical Boxer thing. Nother issue. :)

Matt ... I do think actually nailed the source of the problem! But I don't use the term Alpha ... a guy thing ... you say Alpha and guys tend to go all "Hog Butt Wild!" It tends to stop guys from "trying to out think there dogs and encourages fighting with there dogs ...not good." But he also included "Leadership" and Dogs respect assertive Leadership ... Cesar thing.

I tried the "Alpha Approach" with my Pack Fight issues my GSD never came after me but he Band Dawg buddy yeah I'm taking that guy down!! Alpha approach ... did not work! I was reacting to my dog, instead of not giving him the opportunity to make poor choices! For a time there Marilyn walked on egg shells, all the males in our house were crazy ... and there was "Zero Boxer involvement in those dust ups! Struddel wanted no part of that kinda crazy!

My motto is "No Dog Attacks" my dog without getting past me!! But what if it's one of your dogs??? I had a problem ... fighting with my dog is how I got them stitches ... when I stopped fighting and started thinking ... that approach worked much better! :)

Moving on .... now it sounds like your dog ... is not that bad?? Matt did nail the source of your issues but the question is why is that happening??? Most likely you did almost the same things I did as regards "socialization." With two key difference ... I did not do Dog Parks and I did not do Doggy Day Care. Those two things may seem like reasonable options and as you see with one of your dogd ... no big deal but with the other maybe ... not so much???

My first link, has the "Why Dog Parks are a Bad idea" it's pretty good ... but I'd add to that, "that dogs also learns by running for hours playing with a bunch of dogs out of an owners control ... that what you say does not matter kinda like.:

And of course ... millions of Dogs go to Dog Parks and Doggie Day care and they don't have issues??? And there are lot's of people Luv'ing GSD's out there also ...but mine is not one of them. What other dogs can or cannot do/handle is not your concern but "your dog with issues is."

And yes I get it ... people "think" that if they don't want to have Dog v Dog issues then there dogs need to get out there and play with other dogs. And yep ... that can work ... but my American Band Dawg (for a time) was a Dog that people would not want to meet at a Dog Park (Dog Issues, he luv'd people) and my Boxer (Struddell) was the type of dog people "expected to see" at a Dog Park. But under my watch ... you'd not find her there.

I can count on one hand the number of Dog's she encounter that I had no control of ... and in ten years ... that would be uh two exactly. Other then vet's visits ... no dog came close enough to do her harm. And she could go anywhere with me and paid no heed to other dogs. She'd never had an issue with unknown dogs so why would she care about them??? But ... dogs fighting is not your issues but uncontrolled play and that much time spent out of your control routinely maybe is??? My dogs world revolved around me, they had each other and did not need doggy friends ... worked out fine. :)

Right now at least it seems your dog acts like a A-Hole when you go to Pick him up form Doggy Day Care??? Every time he gets to "practice that behavior ... the better he gets at it."

Usually "solutions" revolve around owners ability to stop doing what they are doing and doing something different??? That .... is ultimately, what worked for me with my problem child. But chalk that up to, stuff to ponder ... but now ... I can quote Jeff Gellman, when he told a caller on one occasion ... "Lady, your dogs not that bad." Your solution just may be a lot simpler that you think. At any rate ... I'm not done and actually my "recommendations" are going to be astonishingly simple. :)

And my questions, were kinda scattered ... as I do tend to go off on tangents. But back to basics ... how is your dog on walks??? As I discovered after many years of searching ... that my ability to walk "Rocky" was ultimately my solution to his issues, .. who knew??? :)

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
It sounds like Leonidas is resource guarding you. There's some useful information and advice here: http://pawsibilitiesny.com/dogs-resource-guard-part-3-owner-guarding/

I would say that this might require the assistance of a trainer, especially if you can't get a handle on it yourself. You want to nip it in the bud before someone gets hurt.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm not a trainer, but it sounds like "defense" drive. I have no experience with this link, but their description of "defense" drive seems fairly accurate.

DEFINITIONS AND DRIVES

You have a young dog, who may be building on a fear reaction. I guess I'd find somebody very knowledgeable to work with you. You don't really want anybody using punitive, harsh training tactics because that could make things much worse. Just my opinion. I've found my veterinarian's office to be a good resource for trying to find a behaviorist.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Most likely ... there is some resource guarding involved. As that situation, seems to crop up when the owner is nearby. But ... typically (I would thing) Resource Guarding would mean well ...protecting a resource ... (staying close to owner) not ... jumping a hedge to go after a neighbor???

This dog would not be a candidate for a Pure Policy Trainer (in my view) he falls out side the norm of dogs they can help with the dogs they can train using there methods.

From what I saw (and I did not read parts on and two) it's a "Struddell" nearly any approach would have worked for her. :)

But Rocky my GSD with People Issues ... those guys would have drained my wallet, most likely gotten some bit and when they finally failed. They would recommenced, "PTS" to free him from his demons. Happens all the time with dogs that fall outside the norm for acceptable behavior.

Finding a trainer for a dog with issues that falls outside, of the norms. Is not as simple as flipping open a phone book and looking up a trainer ... although staying away from "Gentle" anything in the name ... would be a good tip. :)

None of this is directed at you ... I'm not trying to shut anyone down ... anymore ... "my bad." :chair:

But most likely people just "assume" that "Keeping it Real" for a dog automatically means, Yank and Crank?? And such is not the case, I solved my GSD's Human Aggression issues, no one got bit and he never received a single "Correction for any untoward" actions directed towards strangers.

I used to say on GSDForum ... "if I can do it anyone can" but that ticked them off, so I don't say that "anymore." :)

Oh well ... I'm going on and on ... yet again. But I'd be happy to explain if you'd like. Maybe bte2 will see this thread as he is a "Pro" ... I'm just JQP ...slightly above average "Pet Dog" trainer. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seems some of the behavior is when you are around. Does he recognize you as the Alpha in the pack? Sometimes dogs will automatically take that role and feel they have to "protect the pack" if they don't believe you could, growling, snipping etc.
Thanks for comment Matt. And I believe so at this point as I do the "punishing" and give out the commands. We talked to the Vet and they said it was strange he would act out like that at once since he is usually calm just around us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THanks Sasasola! We have already gotten a trainer and behaviorist to come and meet us. We told her the problem and she said she believes she can fix the behavior. Which obviously we are really hoping for...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most likely ... there is some resource guarding involved. As that situation, seems to crop up when the owner is nearby. But ... typically (I would thing) Resource Guarding would mean well ...protecting a resource ... (staying close to owner) not ... jumping a hedge to go after a neighbor???

This dog would not be a candidate for a Pure Policy Trainer (in my view) he falls out side the norm of dogs they can help with the dogs they can train using there methods.

From what I saw (and I did not read parts on and two) it's a "Struddell" nearly any approach would have worked for her. :)

But Rocky my GSD with People Issues ... those guys would have drained my wallet, most likely gotten some bit and when they finally failed. They would recommenced, "PTS" to free him from his demons. Happens all the time with dogs that fall outside the norm for acceptable behavior.

Finding a trainer for a dog with issues that falls outside, of the norms. Is not as simple as flipping open a phone book and looking up a trainer ... although staying away from "Gentle" anything in the name ... would be a good tip. :)

None of this is directed at you ... I'm not trying to shut anyone down ... anymore ... "my bad." :chair:

But most likely people just "assume" that "Keeping it Real" for a dog automatically means, Yank and Crank?? And such is not the case, I solved my GSD's Human Aggression issues, no one got bit and he never received a single "Correction for any untoward" actions directed towards strangers.

I used to say on GSDForum ... "if I can do it anyone can" but that ticked them off, so I don't say that "anymore." :)

Oh well ... I'm going on and on ... yet again. But I'd be happy to explain if you'd like. Maybe bte2 will see this thread as he is a "Pro" ... I'm just JQP ...slightly above average "Pet Dog" trainer. :)

Thanks Chip for the advice! I am hoping with this trainer coming to see us later this month that we can get the behavior taken care of. Leonidas has seemed to calm down around others now, but for the time being we are keeping people away to not provoke the behavior anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL ... you said the secret word (for me)! Is your ABD a Johnson or Scott type??? I saw a Johnson Type around here once, it's a small town. And I managed to track them down. I recognized the owners Mustang (the car.) The dog a female was White, I saw her drive past my house and saw a dog in the back seat and it was huge! But she looked just like my Struddell on freaking Steroids!!???

We always ask for pictures anyway but please do include both dogs! :clap2:

We ended up getting an 8 foot built which is what we really wanted for privacy in the long run. And we did socialize Leo a lot as a pup which we thought would help him. Trying to stay away from dog parks from here on out as for the most part it is nerve wracking to us when they run and we cant catch up to see them in a pack. he is ok on walks, likes the pull some and then just always alert. he has always been pretty good at the dog care which he seems to love being there and getting some exercise!! And that is what our vet told us as well about his behavior! He was like, "man this is so out of the ordinary for him". And since we work with a rescue group around here the head of it even said that this was strange for him but it is definitely teachable. So here's hoping for the best!!! Thank you Chip18 for all the advice and help!

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
LOL I do have to say ... he's not gonna go over an 8 foot fence! Course I have to add that as a kid I did teach my Basenji to scale an 17 foot chain link fence!!!

Good times, Good times ... an as an adult ... I chose to stay away from Basenjis! That was ... Chip. :)

Dog aggression, people aggression and he could be not fenced in. I did address issues as they cropped up! He lived to be 17 years old!!! I did not think that would happen "we were uh tools!" I chose to avoid Basenjis as an adult ... I don't have that kinda energy! :)

But the shrub jump to go after someone, yeah that is a new one on me??? As long as whoever you're working with ... does not advise the use of treats, as a solution for any of this ... your good. As a dog can take a treat and still beat the heck out of someone ... no less than Michael Ellis, discovered that one in a training class with Malinois owners. He should have just asked me ... I could have saved someone some pain ... just saying. :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
LOL I do have to say ... he's not gonna go over an 8 foot fence! Course I have to add that as a kid I did teach my Basenji to scale an 17 foot chain link fence!!!

Good times, Good times ... an as an adult ... I chose to stay away from Basenjis! That was ... Chip. :)

Dog aggression, people aggression and he could be not fenced in. I did address issues as they cropped up! He lived to be 17 years old!!! I did not think that would happen "we were uh tools!" I chose to avoid Basenjis as an adult ... I don't have that kinda energy! :)

But the shrub jump to go after someone, yeah that is a new one on me??? As long as whoever you're working with ... does not advise the use of treats, as a solution for any of this ... your good. As a dog can take a treat and still beat the heck out of someone ... no less than Michael Ellis, discovered that one in a training class with Malinois owners. He should have just asked me ... I could have saved someone some pain ... just saying. :)
Why no treats? We used a behaviorist who figured out what was making our dog go ballistic with somebody entering the front door. We used treats to keep her from going into that high drive, crazy state before anyone even got up the front steps. I needed to recognize the body language, and get her out of the higher protection drive before it got started. It could have been a toy, but my dogs have high food drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's ridiculous to suggest that treats should be avoided altogether. Different things work for different dogs and different situations. Depending on why the dog is showing aggression, aversives (like the e-collar mentioned earlier) could exacerbate the problem while treats could cure it. Without evaluating the dog in person, it would be irresponsible to suggest what would work best in this particular situation. I'm glad to hear that you have professional help lined up as that's the best option for any aggression issue.

I personally would suggest avoiding daycare, dog parks, and any other uncontrolled situations. I *HATE* dog parks as very few dogs are well mannered and under control and daycare facilities are usually supervised by teenagers that know nothing about dog behavior. Arrange group walks with dogs he knows and gets along with and allow them some off leash time in a secure area afterwards.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts