Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so here is a fun question...what is your boxer's personality like? We have Mic and Indy now, of course...they are SO different...Mic is quiet and affectionate...Indy is very vocal, can be affectionate, but is VERY moody...he gets his feelings hurt easily and will pout BIG time...at times he will give a ton of kisses...but when we go to give him kisses, he just sits there and doesn't really respond...although, he doesn't want us out of his sight!! Mic on the other hand will kiss you, anytime, anywhere...kisses hands and faces and feet and anything else he can reach...and we found ourselves wondering what our Pua will be like...will she be vocal or quiet...moody or easy going like Mic...it will be interesting to see...so, who has a boxer like Indy that can be standofish at times? And who has a devoted little gentle giant like Mic??

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fredo is very very affecionate. He also doesn't want us out of his sight. He's usually very gentle but at times can get a little over confident and pushy. If he feels he's not gettign enough attention he'll sit at your feet and cry.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
haha Isis is soooo affectionate..kisses and hugz all the time ! but if i lay on the couch and wake her up she looks at me like im crazy...Onyx on the other hand can be woken up out of a ddead sleep or even sick and will be all over me..

Isis wants to be 'touching' me somehow all the time though..even if its jsut a paw on your arm..or leaning against me..follows me everywhere..if im in the shower..shes on the bathmat..if im outside shes at the window..always right there ..my velcro dog :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Vega is a very affectionate and has a need to please everyone. She is very extroverted when it comes to people but can be shy around dogs. Vega does need to be touching one of us while she sleeps, whether it be a paw, nose, head or her butt. She can be stubborn from time to time and love s to lay around the house.
It's funny I was reading her Sun sign I came across and it seems to fit her pretty well. HEre it is..

::pasted::

Taurus

No fast moves for the Taurus dog. This is a lethargic, even lazy animal that would much rather sleep than run around! Therefore, be sure your pooch's bed is comfortable, with a super-soft blanket thrown in for good measure. Pampering the Taurus dog is rule number one! These canines love to eat, too, so see to it that Vega's food is fresh and tasty. The Taurus dog is also fond of physical touch, which is why you should pat them regularly and brush their coat slowly and lovingly. Not much for exercise, either, your Taurus pup is not likely to run over the hill and through the woods -- they may not even want to run around the yard! Lounging around is the name of their game. These animals can be persistent and stubborn as well, and if they could talk, they'd probably be arguing more often than not. That said, they do appreciate the comforts of home and are loyal to their masters for this very reason; a Taurus dog is highly unlikely to run away. Since they like to eat so much, keep an eye on their food bowl to ensure they don't get too fat. Lastly, this tolerant and gentle pooch makes for a great companion with kids.

** If anyone else wants me to look their dog up, just let me know and give me their brithdate.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie is really laid back, but she does like to cuddle with us...

Maggie is super hyper and a cuddler... she needs lots and lots of attention....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Kane is the ultimate velcro dog.  He has to be right under my feet, right next to me at the computer, next to me in bed, and never out of his sight if he can help it.  Sophie on the other hand is just the opposite.  She could care less if we're around, unless it is to wait on her hand and foot lol.  The only time she wants loving and acts sweet is when she is tired - then she will come up and ask to be picked up and rocked like a baby in the rocking chair - this will be fun when she weighs 50 lbs.  Her idea of a good time is dragging the broom around the backyard, picking the tops off the flowers or pouncing and playing very rough with Kane or chasing the cat.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have polar opposites, in a lot of ways very similiar to how Buck & Tia were...Samson defines "laid back", he can be a bit standoffish as well...He isn't a touchy feeely boxer at all, but when he's in the mood, oh lord, he wants love and he wants it now!!! He's incredibly protective of me and wherever I am, he is, definitely "velcro"dog....Now Angel, hmmmmm, lets see, dog on pogo stick, shameless flirt, and the supreme Daddy's girl...... :lol: Angel is a Boxer and she lets you know it, from her Woo Woo's to her "beaning...She wants to greet everyone with a kiss and a hug then crawl into your lap!!! And I wouldn't change one thing about either one, in a way, they compliment each other....

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
samsonsmom\";p=\"38604 said:
I have polar opposites, in a lot of ways very similiar to how Buck & Tia were...Samson defines "laid back", he can be a bit standoffish as well...He isn't a touchy feeely boxer at all, but when he's in the mood, oh lord, he wants love and he wants it now!!! He's incredibly protective of me and wherever I am, he is, definitely "velcro"dog....Now Angel, hmmmmm, lets see, dog on pogo stick, shameless flirt, and the supreme Daddy's girl...... :lol: Angel is a Boxer and she lets you know it, from her Woo Woo's to her "beaning...She wants to greet everyone with a kiss and a hug then crawl into your lap!!! And I wouldn't change one thing about either one, in a way, they compliment each other....
Exactly! Indy might be standoffish at times...but, he's also got this vulnerable look he gives you...hard to resist either way! I love them BOTH so much...I am excited to discover this new little person we are bringing home, too! It's fun to see the differences!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Love the comments and differences about everybody's pups. Here goes mine.... our last boxer Sophie was the closest thing to a 'whirling dervish" that I've ever seen. Joyful, loving, snugglebug, excitable on one hand and stubborn as a mule on the other!!! I used to tell hubby "she's the only dog I've ever had who, once she understood what I wanted her to do, quite frankly didn't care!" Also, she was SO dog aggressive we had to watch her like a hawk. No warning, no growl, just attack mode! Donner by comparison is my gentle giant. Loving, affectionate and truly eager to please! Loves people, dogs, cats and will happily kiss them all. Wouldn't trade my time with either of them for anything  but have to admit, these opposites are part of what makes me hesitate to get another. In all fairness, Sophie was a rescue, and our 1st boxer so I'm sure we contributed to her quirks. We did lots of research on behavior and training before getting our boy. Don't know what Donner would think if we happened to get a Sophie the 2nd!!! But OOOHHHH when I see these puppy pics I'm ready to take my chances! Have sent an e-mail to Donners breeder to inquire about a Blitzen to go with our Donner, almost scared to hear back!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL...ah...but, they are SO FUN! :)  Sounds to me like she thought she was the alpha! Which can be remedied...especially if you start early! I know...my Indigo was my "dude with a tude" from day one! But, with some friendly advice from the people here, we got a handle on it...it's so worth it all! ;)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah loves life, people, especially kids and other dogs; she is very social. She can be loving and independent; there are some evenings when she will get on the couch and snuggle, other nights she will sleep at the end of the couch and ignore me.  Same thing when sleeping at night but by morning she is always snuggling with me. She can be demanding at times, when she wants me to play or she rolls her toys under something and wants me to get them out and at other times she is an angel.  She is a pleasure to watch at the dog park; it touches my heart to see her joy of life as she is running.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
For Donner:

Libra

What your Libra dog wants, above all, are friends! This is an animal that doesn't want to be left alone. Companionable to the max, your Libra pooch could easily act as social director for the other animals in the neighborhood, being the most playful pup in the park. If their social circle is too small, your canine could easily start to whine, even cry. Libra dogs wants to live in a happy world, so harmony at home is pretty important. This animal can pick up on bad vibes! Living in a beautiful world is important, too, which is why you should brush Donner regularly. In keeping with this penchant for the good life, your Libra dog also wants to eat well, so be sure the food you feed 'em is both fresh and tasty. Your Libra pup travels like a champ and loves to hit the road, so be sure that you bring them along whenever possible. Even if it's just a quick walk to the corner store, they want to make the journey. Hey, Donner's lady could be there! Lastly, this is a pet that is very eager to please. If you're nice to your Libra dog, they'll give you plenty in return!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie is quiet.  He never was a chewer.  I never even heard him bark until the day I picked him up from the vets after being neutered.  He likes to cuddle but doesn't give alot of kisses.  Sadie is a barker, she's gotta be adhd because she's always running and jumping.  She wants to chew on everything.  She does like to give kisses but will only cuddle when she's worn out!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Interesting topic...nice.  I agree with Donnersmom...Abby is "Joyful, loving, snugglebug, excitable on one hand and stubborn as a mule on the other!!!"  She was a velcro dog but became much more independant when Brady came along. She knows what she wants and when she wants it. She knows come 9:45 p.m. that she should be snuggled up on the couch with us and help us all if she is not. She will sit at the baby gate in the kitchen and CRY until we finally go snuggle with her.  If she doesn't want to do something that we want her to, she sits down in a huff, puffs out her chest and shows us those cute lower teeth by pouting.  
She can be superexcited and tends to run boxer burns once in the a.m. and once in the p.m. with this look on her face like
she's laughing her way around the world.  Brady tries to keep up, but can't and just chases after her barking, like, hey, come on!!! On the other hand, when Abby is out, she is out! Getting to go out before bed and in the a.m. can be a weight lifting exercise as it requires carrying her to the door (and sometimes right out the door) while she is dead weight.
She is super lovey and loves hugs from all, including strangers.  And she is quite the talker lately, obnoxiously so.  

Brady, our cocker, started his life in our home as being very distant. While he would occassionally act as my slippers, for the most part, he had no interest in love from us. WOW! has that changed. He is now SUCH a velcro dog to me. He is in love with his mama and would follow me to the end of the world. He LOVES to play outside, right now, he love it when I rake him a huge pile of leaves to jump in, in the winter he loves catching snowballs, in the summer he loves catching water from the hose. We think he may have been an outdoor dog with his past family as he will sit outside for hours just watchign the grass grow.  The minute I bring him in, he wants to go back out, but I do get such a pathetic look when I cannot sit out there with him (sometimes I just put him on the runner and he sits on the step watching that grass grow). He loves to chew on Abby's back leg in the morning and while he will put his nose to mine and just stare at me for hours (he does this every day for a few minutes but I have caught him doing this for long periods of time while I sleep), he has no real interest in getting love from strangers (including those "strangers" who see him almost every day, like our parents), just from my hubby and me.  

Overall, we have two mushes, just in different ways.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Oggie is a very sweet dog.  Loves to be held and will lick everyone to death!  He has to be with me at all times, and if he's not he wanders around until he finds me.    When he's not sleeping at my feet it's almost like he's on patrol, making sure he knows who's around and what they are doing and if they are ok.  He is very quiet and only barks when engaged in playing.   He's really yet to bark at people outside.  When family members come over he doesn't really rush to the door immediately, he just looks concerned although alert.  I'm wondering if his guard dog instincts will grow as he becomes older and more comfortable.  In the backyard he seems to slowly be more protective over his property, he looks alert and ready to pounce when he sees a threat such as a small animal  (or his favorite is barking at shadows). He whimpers when I'm not around or when he doesn't get what he wants in general.  He goes ballistic when I get out the food and he does a few burns through the house as I soak the kibble.  He is very good with kids, although I am working on curbing the jumping and pawing with the little ones.  He's fearless with other dogs, wanting to immediately run over to them to smell them and jump on them.  I think he's slowly learning not to grab 100+ pound dogs by the neck.  He sleeps A LOT.  Well, except when you want him to!

G

·
0 Posts
What can I say about Jetta?

She is only 11 weeks old, but I can already see a personality forming.  She doesn't HAVE to be glued to your side, but she does like attention.  She is always ready to play...she loves tug of war and fetch...and will only play with toys if you too are playing with them.  She thinks she is 100 pounds and is totally fearless.  I have never seen her show fear of anything...not the 100+ lb Newfinland dog...or the hissing cats...she is ready to tackle any situation.  She loves all living things...children, adults, disabled people...cats, and especially other dogs...she is always ready to run and play with other dogs...she likes to sleep on the couch...I think she thinks she is human..she doesn't particuarly like her crate, but is learning to accept it...I would say she is a people dog...but has her own independance

·
Registered
893 Posts
My Ekim is a lover, (typical male ) he wants to be by my side at all times. If he even hears a door open he sprints down the steps in a flash, worried that I am going to go somewhere without him. He is always by my side and loves to be right next to me on the couch. If I am not feeling well and am in bed all day so is he. , He loves to give kisses and licks the heck out of you. He is very quiet and obedient. Actually, he is the perfect pet. I can only hope that when his little sister Delila arrives later this week that she doesn't change his personality. I also hope she acts just like him, although he was awful as a puppy. I must be nuts putting myself through that puppy phase again.

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is great...love hearing how everyone else's babies act!

Calli our first boxer was very protective, loved to be near you but was always making sure everything was okay in her house and yard.  Loved to play but not really a lap dog or over affectionate.  Calli thought the ranking order in our house was my husband, Calli, THEN me!  She was a riot and the best dog we have ever had.

Berkeley came next and was a rescue so her personality had alot to do with the abuse she suffered before we got her.  She was my velcro baby.  She followed me everywhere and wouldn't eat, etc. if I left the house.  She was very lovable and loved to be hugged and to snuggle.  One of the sweetest babies we have ever had.  She didn't back down from a fight with Teaki but she was always gentle with people.

Teaki was our next puppy...she is our "princess", doesn't like to get her feet wet, doesn't like to snuggle, only gives kisses if you REALLY beg and thinks she is top dog no matter who is around.

Ziggi is our latest baby.  He is VERY affectionate...you never get away from him without lots of slobbery kisses.   His nickname is "Sugarlips".  he loves to cuddle and sit in your lap (of course he is our biggest boxer yet at over 90lbs).  He is also laid back, much more than any of our females have been.  Ziggi is also very protective of the house and yard...always making sure everything is okay.  Ziggi has so many of Calli's personality that we think she may have been reincarnated which is a good thing!  :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Beckham is my first dog and first boxer.  He is extremely affectionate, doles out lots of sloppy kisses to anyone that gets close enough and loves to cuddle on the couch.  When snuggling he has to be touching some part of you at all times!  
He absolutely loves to play with other dogs, doesn't matter size or shape, if it's a dog he's all over them (sometimes a bit too much).  He will play until he literally falls over from exhaustion.  
He loves playing Hide & Seek with his mommies, torturing the two cats that HATE him and watching The Dog Whisperer.
He's protective of the house and if anything moves or makes a sound outside he woo woos, jumps up runs to the sliding door and has to check it out.  
He loves trips to the pet store and meeting new people and is sometimes a bit too overzealous when greeting them (trying to work on that).  [-O<
I can't imagine life without him and will never be able to own anything but a boxer.  Beckham has brought so much joy and laughter into our house, he's just an amazing creature and I love him more than I ever thought possible.   ^:)^

1 - 20 of 25 Posts