Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how a ton of you guys get asked if your dog is a pitbull, or have people fearful of your dogs for that reason. that's the main part of my question.
My friend Jay has a pitbull who recently got out of their yard and went roaming around the neighborhood checking things out. He wandered up to a family out in their yard and just ran right up to them.
When Jay found his dog, he was having a grand ol' time with this family. They told Jay that at first they were worried, but figured he wasn't mean cause he didn't growl or anything.

but here's my main question. Why are people just completely terrified of a butt wiggling, fun loving boxer because they think it's a pit. But they're not scared of actual pits?

I dont understand some people..

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I think it's strange how some grown men move away from the sidewalk when I walk Odin. It's funny but sad at the same time... I normally say "He'll just lick you to death. Big ol' baby!" Steven was even asked at Petland once by an adult "Is he going to bite me..." or something like that... basically like he was trained to bite people. We haven't heard the pitbull thing in a good while but of course it just depends on the people and how they were raised. Unfortunately there are TOO many IGNORANT people and we just have to deal with it!  :roll:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was in chat last night and I told this story....I went to PetSmart with Jack (my parents boxer) and a lady as I walked in asked me if the mean dog was allowed in PetSmart and she was going to management...I then told her to come with me, and took her over to the area where they have the books that show what a boxer looks like...and she felt like a complete idiot...I get tired of it.  My neighbor across the street has never introduced himself to my husband or I, but asked me if my dog would bite him???  Freakin idiots!!!  I wanna say...no the boxers will lick you to death, but then again I dont want people to feel it's ok to come over to my house and pet my dogs when they want too.

I understand your complaint!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember that thread I posted a week or so ago, about Diesel's first bark at the door? lol
well that girl dropping off pizza menus decided to (without warning) just stick her arm in and pet Diesel and baby talk him and ALL that good stuff.

at first I was like ok lady...get half yourself out of my house, but then I thought hey wow! someone who didn't assume he was vicious!! an odd change lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
Had a lady and her kids ask me the other day if Gaby was a pit bull and if she was friendly :roll:   I just replied she's 100% Boxer and she's very friendly, please send your kids over to pet her :lol:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Yup.  I've had all of the above.

I think my biggest peeve is when people ask if he'll bite.  No idiot!  If he was a biter, I'd leave him at home!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Ya know.....I dont think that I have ever had anyone ask me if Fiona was anything other then a boxer.  Do you think maybe people assume diiferent (pt bull) on the brindle one's?  I have had people ask me if she would bite.  Like Zhanna says....I feel like saying yes I brought my dog to work because if your little dog bites me....mine will bite you :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
A petSmart EMPLOYEE (of all people who should know better) called Harleigh a pit last weekend. But she then told me the Brindle coloring threw her off. So apparently only pits come in Brindle coloring.

But in the same visit I had a guy (regular customer) yell at the other end of the aisle to ask me if she was a Boxer. And I proudly said "Yes, very good" and come to find out he has 2 of his own.

So I will just assume that unless you are a Boxer owner/lover, our dogs will be pits to the others.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My_Harleigh\";p=\"95495 said:
A petSmart EMPLOYEE (of all people who should know better) called Harleigh a pit last weekend. But she then told me the Brindle coloring threw her off. So apparently only pits come in Brindle coloring.
I think the brindle may throw people off.....but Pit's come in many colors including fawn :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Milo's fawn and we get it alllll the time...I think it's because he has a pretty wide chest and is ALL muscle. Kaci, we just get the "How old is your puppy?" or "awww, is she a mini-boxer?". *shakes head*

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
This thread kind of worries me now!  My sister owns 3 pitbulls (who are awsome!) but we have a pitbull ban here.  The ones you own have to be either fixed, or if they aren't, they have to be show dogs, and if they walk around without a muzzle,  can be taken away from you....questions asked later.

My sister told me, make sure you make copies of your pedigree papers and keep them with you at all times.  I guess that's why!  If people can't tell the difference between a boxer and a pitbull, that scares me!  Mind you, the person who made the law couldn't even point out a pitbull in a group of dog pictures, so why am I surprised!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: Boxer = pit bull rant

About 6 years ago I was at a superpets when my pit bull was @ 5 months old. A older woman got down on her knees and was player with her while my dog was licking her on the face. She asked me what kind of dog was she and I told her a pit bull. The woman immediately stood up and walked away.
My dog was licking her face.

·
Registered
537 Posts
sharonL\";p=\"95499 said:
[quote="My_Harleigh\";p=\"95495":2gvf306m]A petSmart EMPLOYEE (of all people who should know better) called Harleigh a pit last weekend. But she then told me the Brindle coloring threw her off. So apparently only pits come in Brindle coloring.
I think the brindle may throw people off.....but Pit's come in many colors including fawn :)[/quote:2gvf306m]

Oh I know that pits come in different colors besides brindle, but I think people (who don't know any better) tend to recognize the brindle coloring to a pit before any other color, IMO.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm not even going to get started on how ignorant ppl are... it just puts me in a horrible mood.

So far, I've been lucky to not have been asked this question. I'd probably have to surpress the urge to strangle anyone that asks! *haha*

·
Registered
696 Posts
I knew right away which one was the Pit -- but I've always loved the breed & was interested in them before I came across the Boxer (I've also owned one before). It's amazing how many different 'bully' breeds there are. I can't believe anybody would think a Swiss Moutain Dog is a Pit, though... I had to laugh @ that - they're like 3x the size!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have been confronted a half a dozen times about Donner being a pit bull because of the brindle color. By college students no less. Maybe they should be taking classes on dog identification. Makes me furious.   :aua:  :aua:
Prolly should clarify I dont have a problem with Pits. Behind every bad dog is a worse owner.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts